Never forget…

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
When I worked in the private sector I thought unions were totally unnecessary, rusty relics from a previous age. Then I became a teacher and discovered the off-the-charts levels of animosity, disdain, and disrespect school district administration has for the people that do the actual business of the district, which is teaching kids. I think it comes from not attaching a cost to teachers' time. The idea is, "We can give teachers more BS work to do, since their time doesn't cost us anything. We can staff up downtown and then plead poverty during salary negotiations, keeping their salaries low." This philosophy is baked into the DNA of every district, or so it seems; it defines the district/teacher relationship.

Teachers want more money and smaller class sizes. All the rest of that crap Mr. Guttentag is bellyaching about is sideshow material, at least in my bright blue coastal SoCal town. Unions may be a necessary evil, but they're really necessary!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
When I worked in the private sector I thought unions were totally unnecessary, rusty relics from a previous age. Then I became a teacher and discovered the off-the-charts levels of animosity, disdain, and disrespect school district administration has for the people that do the actual business of the district, which is teaching kids. I think it comes from not attaching a cost to teachers' time. The idea is, "We can give teachers more BS work to do, since their time doesn't cost us anything. We can staff up downtown and then plead poverty during salary negotiations, keeping their salaries low." This philosophy is baked into the DNA of every district, or so it seems; it defines the district/teacher relationship.

Teachers want more money and smaller class sizes. All the rest of that crap Mr. Guttentag is bellyaching about is sideshow material, at least in my bright blue coastal SoCal town. Unions may be a necessary evil, but they're really necessary!
Who audits the district? :unsure: This seems to be the crux (or at least a pillar) of the issue.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

The problem is administration

These are the government bureaucrats

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think it comes from not attaching a cost to teachers' time. The idea is, "We can give teachers more BS work to do, since their time doesn't cost us anything. We can staff up downtown and then plead poverty during salary negotiations, keeping their salaries low."
This is a byproduct of collective bargaining. If individual teachers were able to negotiate their own compensation the cream will rise to the top. Those willing to put in more work and produce better results will be rewarded.

As it is now there’s no financial incentive for teachers to perform better and there’s no financial cost to admins for getting extra effort from teachers.

I mean why work harder when lazy joe gets paid the same and why pay more for better outcomes when admins don’t have to?

When I worked at Cornell the only people who were union was the custodial staff and they had the worst pay, worst benefits, most inflexible schedules and were the least happy about their employment.

Their union reps made some good money though…

Reactions: Ifallalot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This is a byproduct of collective bargaining. If individual teachers were able to negotiate their own compensation the cream will rise to the top. Those willing to put in more work and produce better results will be rewarded.

As it is now there’s no financial incentive for teachers to perform better and there’s no financial cost to admins for getting extra effort from teachers.

I mean why work harder when lazy joe gets paid the same and why pay more for better outcomes when admins don’t have to?

When I worked at Cornell the only people who were union was the custodial staff and they had the worst pay, worst benefits, most inflexible schedules and were the least happy about their employment.

Their union reps made some good money though…
maybe it’s because they were custodial staff.

Can you imagine how large LAUSD’s HR departmEnt would need to be for every teacher at every school In every grade to negotiate a contract every few years?

I wonder if this strategy could be applied to police and fire and military?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
"The Pfizer trial exhibited a 36 % higher risk of serious adverse events in the vaccine group;"

Nothing to see here. Vaccines are perfectly safe and adverse events extremely rare, I read it here first!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
"The Pfizer trial exhibited a 36 % higher risk of serious adverse events in the vaccine group;"

Nothing to see here. Vaccines are perfectly safe and adverse events extremely rare, I read it here first!

.0000068 is 36% higher than .000005....

what's the baseline?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Over placebo. What about over Covid?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink