Mt. Rushmore

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
you're fecalizing, as you yourself might say

I can see how/why, since it was Billy's red herring argument that set this all off; he is the one
that made the Mount Rushmore comparison

Vespaghetti was making an argument based on the specifics of the confederate monuments

in response to Americans that want to keep/celebrate these statues, he says:

Billy tried to slurpy soap it up with his leap from confederate monuments
to Mount Rushmore.

stay focused. don't lose the plot.
LMAO

Yeah, I'm making it up

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
By your definition analogy: "a comparison"-thanks for proving me correct

Your little tantrum here also just destroyed your favorite "Y U SO BAD CUMPARISON" whining.

You made the comparison, own it.

LMAO "stayed in school"

Do you think I'm a dropout?
You are either illiterate or you're playing dumb.
Which is it?

I gave you the definition of analogy. You ignored it.

You brought up "allegory". That tells me that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

It was a valid comparison not because Mussolini = GWash but because all those nations dealth with their ugly past, instead of celebrating it like we are.

That was the similiraity and that how a valid analogy works. Comparing unlike things that are similar in other ways. Read the fucking definition.

It doesn't mean that Mussolini = Hitler = Stalin = Saddam = GWash

That’s fucking stupid and it’s not how analogies work.

Back to school for you.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Which is it?

You brought up "allegory". That tells me that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

It was a valid comparison not because Mussolini = GWash but because all those nations dealth with their ugly past, instead of celebrating it like we are.

That was the similiraity and that how a valid analogy works. Comparing unlike things that are similar in other ways. Read the fucking definition.

Back to school for you.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. The allegory mention was strategic, hence the "or some sh!t" tacked onto the end of it.

And you're just digging your hole deeper here.

First you said it's not a companion, and now you're admitting it was. The point of it is you think the US should deal with its ugly past like these European countries did, by destroying all vestiges of that past.

We all learn from the past and deal with it, that's why it's not a secret that these men were slave owners and racists (when judged by today's standards).

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That's true for every tourist attraction.

Like queuing for hours to see Mona Lisa, with 500 other people, all with phones in the air, taking a photo of a painting that was reproduced and seen more than any other, and never looking at it again.

Unless I can find an interesting angle on a famous landmark, I just don't go.
When I do, it's mainly to people watch. You can get away with photographing people up close at tourist landmarks because everybody's cameras are out.

http://instagr.am/p/BZocHIKlTvU/
http://instagr.am/p/BswJm6cFQSb/
Agreed. Some tourist attractions are truly remarkable and highly flocked to for a reason, and I'm willing to deal with a certain degree of nonsense and crowds. Although I tend to limit that to genuine natural and archeological wonders. For stuff like the Mona Lisa or the Eiffel Tower, I have no desire to stand more than 5 minutes in line for that.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Which is it?

Back to school for you.
1594056435994.png

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Were you all aware that the artist who created Mt. Rushmore was a member of the KKK and previously worked on the Stone Mountain monument to the Confederacy? I never knew that.

Is it a coincidence that Trump is holding a rally there after claiming Black Lives Matter is a symbol of hate.

Is Mount Rushmore a tribute to the KKK or to the confederacy?

"But squidley, It isn't a tribute to anyone who hates America, so it sucks.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the faces on rushmore are not confederate generals

and it wasn't constructed after the fact as a giant fk you (except maybe to the first peoples...)

my read is different from yours

I would wager my interpretation is in line with intent, yours is mt rushmore sized straw man

(see what I did there?)

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
the faces on rushmore are not confederate generals

and it wasn't constructed after the fact as a giant fk you (except maybe to the first peoples...)

my read is different from yours

I would wager my interpretation is in line with intent, yours is mt rushmore sized straw man

(see what I did there?)
nope, sorry

Gwash and TJeff owned slaves, therefore anything with their likeness is a monument to white supremacy

that's how it works now

TR also fought some wars against people who speak Spanish, so he is a racist too now and any tribute to him is a monument to white nationalism

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
nope, sorry

Gwash and TJeff owned slaves, therefore anything with their likeness is a monument to white supremacy

that's how it works now

TR also fought some wars against people who speak Spanish, so he is a racist too now and any tribute to him is a monument to white nationalism
And he stole the Louisiana territory from the French by paying pennies on the dollar when France was disadvantaged

France is more southern European than northern, their language has the same base as Spanish, and they're not Anglo so they're honorary POC

Therefore Jefferson = WHITE SUPREMACIST

Blow it up

• Haha
Reactions: Billy Ocean

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
nope, sorry

that's how it works now

Yeah but they also grew a lot of weed.

Think about the Swisher Sweets we have today.

Maybe they just need to spray paint Mt. Rushmore rasta colors.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
nope, sorry

that's how it works now

doubling down on straw man sliding down the slippery slope....

go get laid, Billy

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Mt Rushmore is simultaneously an amazing feat of sculpture and human engineering, and ugliest most ridiculous monstrosity of art. Even as a little kid I never wanted to see it. So dumb. I don't care what happens to it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Mt Rushmore is simultaneously an amazing feat of sculpture and human engineering, and ugliest most ridiculous monstrosity of art. Even as a little kid I never wanted to see it. So dumb. I don't care what happens to it.
How it was meant to be. If it was still like this I would go see it, if I was in the area.

mount_rushmore_before_sculpture_nps_archives_crop.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: redrider and $kully

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
As someone pointed out, it's worth the drive through to see the landscape. One of the other worldly I've seen anywhere.