Mountain Lion Attack

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It used to be you only saw their tracks. They were afraid of people because people occasionally shot them. The last few years I have seen them walking down the middle of suburban streets. It looks to me like they've lost their fear of man. Kind of like coyotes have lost their fear of man.
Humans are an invasive species. It would be interesting to see an overlay graphic of Southern California from 1964 to 2024. I look at places on google earth and can’t believe the growth. The promised land.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It's retribution for the Oceanside Mountain Lion that got taken out

Reactions: Boneroni

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I agree. I've never seen a mountain lion in California and only know one guy who has (while mountain biking in Sycamore Canyon). I've seen bobcats many times. It's always cool to see the bobcats. I wonder why, being smaller, they are less shy?
I was running on Potrero John trail up behind ojai about ten years ago and came face to face with a mountain lion. Smallish, about forty pounds. I wasn’t expecting it but wasn’t surprised either. After a brief mexican standoff it slinked away - and so did I.

Beautiful animal. I feel lucky to have encountered one.

Another time while camping off Paradise road I woke up before sunrise to the sound of what I thought at the time was child in extreme tantrum mode. Sounded like it was coming from an adjacent campground a few hundred yards away. The day before that I had some interaction with a kid who was camping there with his parents and he seemed a little off. I just assumed the blood curdling screams were coming from him having a meltdown.

A few years later I came across a youtube tube video of a mountain lion screaming. Instantly I recognized it as the sound I heard that morning. It wasn’t a kid. It was a cat.

I’ve said this before but I do truly believe there is no more noble way to die than to be killed and eaten by a wild animal.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm conflicted about the situation. On the one hand it is cool to think that wildlife can survive near an urban area. And, at least with regards to the big cats in LA County, it's not like they're over running the place. It's still a small, struggling population. But I question at what point would there be too many? I guess it would have to do with the frequency of attacks on humans. That's a grim metric.

In the meantime LA is going out of their way to help them-

Yup, I've been hearing about this project for quite awhile. Apparently, the 101 cut the lions territory much shorter than normal, and the lack of genetic diversity in their breeding pool is leading to risk of extinction (see: european incest families)

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Sounds terrifying in a primal way. I'd prefer to get fed a shitload of drugs when I'm old and crapping myself and just snooze off one last time.
Of course it would be terrifying. I imagine it would provide one with the utmost clarity.

As the old joke goes…

I’ll leave this world the same way I came in…naked, screaming and covered in blood.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
That's a bummer for both the men and the cat. I've been running every week on a kind of remote trail (no one around on week days). Look at the home page of the park-

Maybe carry bear spray (or wasp spray which has a longer range and equally as potent). No need to get paranoid on your runs but the extra ‘insurance’ of a spray may keep you out of the news with potential run-in in some predator’s home base.

Reactions: One-Off and Chocki

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Of course it would be terrifying. I imagine it would provide one with the utmost clarity.

As the old joke goes…

I’ll leave this world the same way I came in…naked, screaming and covered in blood.
Yeah I'll just watch the Raymond K Hessel sequence from Fight Club on youtube and skip getting mauled by a GWS and bleeding out/bit off in a wetsuit reeking of old urine and fresh poo, or torn to pieces by tiger/bull in trunks, or grabbed, dragged, and death-rolled in one of those double-wide fishing shirts by an alligator. Don't worry about the screaming though I'll fucking DELIVAR on that front.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was running on Potrero John trail up behind ojai about ten years ago and came face to face with a mountain lion. Smallish, about forty pounds. I wasn’t expecting it but wasn’t surprised either. After a brief mexican standoff it slinked away - and so did I.

Beautiful animal. I feel lucky to have encountered one.

Another time while camping off Paradise road I woke up before sunrise to the sound of what I thought at the time was child in extreme tantrum mode. Sounded like it was coming from an adjacent campground a few hundred yards away. The day before that I had some interaction with a kid who was camping there with his parents and he seemed a little off. I just assumed the blood curdling screams were coming from him having a meltdown.

A few years later I came across a youtube tube video of a mountain lion screaming. Instantly I recognized it as the sound I heard that morning. It wasn’t a kid. It was a cat.

I’ve said this before but I do truly believe there is no more noble way to die than to be killed and eaten by a wild animal.
I'd rather a different ending, one where you get to tell the story.

We once went on a hike in Mendocino. It was pretty early (9-10am). No one else on the trail. After hiking into the (dense) forest for about a half hour, there was the river to our right and steep berm with thick brush on top to our left. I was out ahead and I heard a strange growl in the bushes above me that made my hair stand on end. I stoppped in my tracks and told my wife and daughter, "We're turning back." My daughter asked why and I said nothing. My wife looked at me and whispered, "Did you hear that?" She had heard it to but was further away.

When we got back to camp I asked the ranger if there were bears around and he said they were usually much further back in the hills, not this close to the ocean. I asked about mountain lions. He said they're around but usually not after sun up.

Much later I told my daughter the story and told her it was Sasquatch.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2002
Austin, TX
I remember one time going mountain biking at caspers park in the Ortegas. I was on a slow long climb and just beca positive I was getting stalked. Didn’t see the cat. Just a feeling. No cellphone. No pepper spray. I turned downhill and got the heck outta there.
Probably a smart move. A girl I went to high school with got mauled at Caspers but survived.

Her mom was berry picking, and set her down just behind her (she was probably 3 or 4?). The cat snuck up and grabbed her without a sound. Mom heard the rustling and somehow got it to let go. Her skull was partially crushed. I remember seeing her around when she was younger, and she had a dead eye and a helmet.

She seemed pretty ok. by the time high school rolled around, all things considered.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Update: View attachment 176372

I totally forgot her family sued the CA State Parks. I guess they got 2 million for the lack of posted warning signs.

:rolleyes:
I don't get this.

If you hike in areas that might have mountain lions or bears or snakes... hiker beware.

If you get bit or killed by a shark when you are swimming in the ocean who are you going to sue?

They need to post signs everywhere the public goes now...

"Enter at your own risk"

Such bullshit. Take the risk and be prepared or don't ever leave the safety of you own home.. which is still not safe. LOL.

Jan 12, 2002
Austin, TX
I don't get this.

If you hike in areas that might have mountain lions or bears or snakes... hiker beware.

If you get bit or killed by a shark when you are swimming in the ocean who are you going to sue?

They need to post signs everywhere the public goes now...

"Enter at your own risk"

Such bullshit. Take the risk and be prepared or don't ever leave the safety of you own home.. which is still not safe. LOL.
Signage is now ubiquitous.

It's a ton of COYA, and yeah, who do you sue if a great white severs your femoral artery?

I'm glad the signage is there at trailheads. That being said, there are a lot of people I've met on thru hike trails that are woefully under prepared for lack of water and lack a basic medical kit. They always have tons of weed though. LOL .