Most of Europe is Poorer than the US

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Income is just a measure. It's the lifestyle and its sustainability that people will experience. What's left over after their needs are met. Poor people aren't poor because the numerical expression is 5 or 11 or 2, they're poor because they can't generate enough to meet the costs of their needs within that economy.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Just to toss some combustible materials onto the pyre, if one of the purposes of money is to make living easier/better, then it seems like there should be some correlation with it and happiness. More $ = more happiness (well, maybe to a point).

So with this viewpoint, with the USA on average being richer than Europe, why are they happier?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Just toss some combustible materials onto the pyre, if one of the purposes of money is to make living easier/better, then it seems like there should be some correlation with happiness. More $ = more happiness (well, maybe to a point).

So with this viewpoint, with the USA on average being richer than Europe, why are they happier?

Ha! Mexico is happier than America.

Here’s why
6D375BEE-B756-4FEA-8956-A2A1FFF766A9.jpeg

Reactions: redrider and 2surf

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Just to toss some combustible materials onto the pyre, if one of the purposes of money is to make living easier/better, then it seems like there should be some correlation with it and happiness. More $ = more happiness (well, maybe to a point).

Way off subject here, but the other night I fell asleep in front of the TV. When I came around the classic Vertigo was playing. Kind of interesting checking out 1958 San Francisco. For some reasons I thought of you and Nep. I think it was on the STARZ network.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Knob Hill and the rest of the city look so quaint in that movie

it's nuts....really bright and airy

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Temperament has a huge effect on your level of happiness.

You need a certain about of income.

I'm not sure what it is now adjusted for inflation but it's pretty low.

Then it's luck.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The bases and contractors keep them from having to spend on their own defense.

Sure, it's a way to create hegemony as well, but they wouldn't be able to pretend they're this peaceful, post-military society if NATO and the UN wasn't being funded on US taxpayer backs
The Europeans spend plenty on their own defense:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Even more than a decade later in the first Dirty Harry SF looks so much better than it does today AND that's showing a gritty side of the city

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Temperament has a huge effect on your level of happiness.

You need a certain about of income.

I'm not sure what it is now adjusted for inflation but it's pretty low.

Then it's luck.
I think expectations have a lot to do with happiness. What do you want and how much of it are you getting?

Reactions: afoaf

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If they're spending enough then they won't miss it if we take the crutch away and leave them to stand on their own.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If they're spending enough then they won't miss it if we take the crutch away and leave them to stand on their own.
They can also stand down the next time the chickens come home to roost here and leave us to fight our own unending wars.

I find it highly odd that the same people who complain about government waste (of which the military is a huge portion of) and yet also want other countries to emulate that same waste. Similarly to when they complain about other countries not stepping up to the plate militarily but I don't see them enlisting either.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019

Right? And uncrowded. And then I love just about anything set in that time period because I love the cars driving around. In Vertigo they're just filming what's there. Not like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I think a saw a number of the exact same cars drive by in 3,4 or more different scenes in Once.

Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot