Modern-ish twin?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I reckon it depends on whether you're running keels or upright twins.

Also how long the board is.

Longer twins would have the placement further forward I would think.
True. But would you ever order a twin with the fins set further back than 7inch?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Just did some measuring.

6'2" Rusty Twin has rear of boxes @ 8.5"
5'7" Banjo is 8.25"
5'10 Lightbender is 8.0"
Is your banjo further back placement than stock? back of my futures box is @10.25” doing a lazy measurement.

Reactions: Aruka

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Have to check out that Lightbender, seems like about right for what I'm thinking. A little fishy in the front but not too fishy in the rear. I just like a little more curve in the tail than the parallel rails of a true fish.

The Rusty Twin is a fun board but I dunno if I ever really figured out where it fit in for me. Maybe if I'd gone shorter and wider it would have had more low end but as it was it almost felt like a board that I would ride in place of a hpsb. I've had some really fun sessions on it but I think if I'm going to ride a twin fin I want a little more easy speed and drive. I think part of the advantage of a good twin, or maybe just what I am looking for in one is being able to have something that is a little flatter and higher volume so it paddles well and makes effortless speed but then because it's a twin it also turns easily.

Album Lightbender might be a little too fishy for what OP is after although I don't think it's any fishier than something like the MOTE LBOH. Anyways, that's what I've been riding and enjoying a lot in knee to head high beachbreaks.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
try measuring with the fins in
Thought those distances were without like defroster did. With Tim’s keels they’re 7.5”, where I’m happy. Just curious for sake of comparing fins/experiences.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thought those distances were without like defroster did. With Tim’s keels they’re 7.5”, where I’m happy. Just curious for sake of comparing fins/experiences.
does yours have a center box?

I didn't ask for any modified fin placement on my first one but we did go back and forth a bit, maybe he made changes based on what we talked about. I had him make me a longer one with a narrower tail and a trailer box and the fin placement is a bit further forward.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Maybe this is a dumb question but why would you measure from the futures box when you’re running a keel where the bottom of the trailing edge hangs back from the box? Aren't you measuring from a point that is not relevant.

Reactions: ANIMA

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The box doesn't move and it determines where the fins trailing edge lands so for comparing placement it seems useful because not everyone has the same fins.

I think the trailing edge measurement is important too I just like trolling GG.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Maybe this is a dumb question but why would you measure from the futures box when you’re running a keel where the bottom of the trailing edge hangs back from the box? Aren't you measuring from a point that is not relevant.
I think every fin is different (width), so as a standard you measure from the bottom of the box. Thats my understanding...

Reactions: sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I assume that light brown stripe on Anima's is the actual high density foam stringer color if they don't paint over it black.

For the OP- personally, I really want to try Akila Aipa and Daniel Jones performance twins. Starting with AA's contemporary fish though since it will get more use around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: retodd