Mexico/Central America retirement

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Heard good things about Panama, use the US dollar, good roads, reasonably stable Government. Plus the fishing looks insane on the pacific side and the surf aint bad either.

Reactions: mundus and paunch23

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Good article. Pretty much spot on. Costa ricans are more educated as a whole. Like if you went to a bar or a restaurant, they’d have better service. Costa rica is more expensive. Surfwise very similar i’d say. They do have more of a “surf scene” ...‍♂

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Uhhhh, so in essence you're saying what I'm saying:

You're not in the USA anymore.
If you're going to live there learn the fcking language.

Not learning the language = typical American a-hole

BTW, my understanding is you live in a gated community with a lot of Americans/English speakers running around?

Outside these sorts of communities not knowing the local language can be extremely isolating.
Maybe i miss interpreted what you were saying ... if so my apologies ... Mrs. Flyinraptr recently discovered Bloody Mary's and i have been trying to teach her the finer points of them. No - we do not live in a gated community. When we first invested and moved to Nica - yes it was in a gated community but sold our properties and moved out of it over a year ago. We discovered visiting a gated community on vacation is far different than living there. Felt like we were back in high school - with a bunch of people who hadn't matured past high school and wanted to Americanize everything. We much prefer where we're at now. One of the best experiences we've had is attempting to learn a new language in a country where you don't speak the language. It's not always easy and can be frustrating but the rewards are greater and more often than not the locals appreciate that you're making the attempt and go out of their way to help. A typical scenario - is often - myself trying to practice Spanish with a young Nicaraguan .... who is in turn attempting to practice their English at the same time - it can be rather comical as Mrs. Flyinraptr can attest to.

El Ogro - we initially built two properties - one a vacation rental and the second was our home within an ex-pat community. We've sold both and moved just outside a town called San Juan Del Sur. We are in the process of building a new home - maybe 1-2 months away from completion. The town has no shortage of restaurants/bars - etc. - obviously things have slowed considerably with Covid. The chicken, beef, fish is really good - but have to know what to look for .... can be different levels of quality. The way they cut meat is a little different - as an example - recently picked up a piece rib eye steak i think it was around 20lbs - was about $70 US - but we were able to cut it up into 17 individual ribeye steaks for grilling. We also have a deep drop-in freezer - about every 6 weeks ... we make the trek into Managua - to go to the PriceMart - about 2 hours each way - but worth it. Surf spots - they are about 5 different surf spots where we're at - all about 15-20 min car ride away.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A typical scenario - is often - myself trying to practice Spanish with a young Nicaraguan .... who is in turn attempting to practice their English at the same time - it can be rather comical as Mrs. Flyinraptr can attest to.
Yup, can totally relate.

In the right scenario would end up telling them I was from elsewhere - a country where I was sure they wouldn't know the language, like Croatia, Serbia, etc - and therefore minimal English.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
dont drink more than a few beers with the "local crew" bc things get weird after 9 pm
This!^^^^^^^^

I had to ask my Australian friend if the local VN guy was trying to pick up on me. I didn't want to over react.

He just shrugged and said he was friendly.

At I certain point, a short time later, I had to say, "Um, it's time to go. Things are getting weird."

We jumped on the scooter and raced off into the jungle night.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Maybe i miss interpreted what you were saying ... if so my apologies ... Mrs. Flyinraptr recently discovered Bloody Mary's and i have been trying to teach her the finer points of them. No - we do not live in a gated community. When we first invested and moved to Nica - yes it was in a gated community but sold our properties and moved out of it over a year ago. We discovered visiting a gated community on vacation is far different than living there. Felt like we were back in high school - with a bunch of people who hadn't matured past high school and wanted to Americanize everything. We much prefer where we're at now. One of the best experiences we've had is attempting to learn a new language in a country where you don't speak the language. It's not always easy and can be frustrating but the rewards are greater and more often than not the locals appreciate that you're making the attempt and go out of their way to help. A typical scenario - is often - myself trying to practice Spanish with a young Nicaraguan .... who is in turn attempting to practice their English at the same time - it can be rather comical as Mrs. Flyinraptr can attest to.

El Ogro - we initially built two properties - one a vacation rental and the second was our home within an ex-pat community. We've sold both and moved just outside a town called San Juan Del Sur. We are in the process of building a new home - maybe 1-2 months away from completion. The town has no shortage of restaurants/bars - etc. - obviously things have slowed considerably with Covid. The chicken, beef, fish is really good - but have to know what to look for .... can be different levels of quality. The way they cut meat is a little different - as an example - recently picked up a piece rib eye steak i think it was around 20lbs - was about $70 US - but we were able to cut it up into 17 individual ribeye steaks for grilling. We also have a deep drop-in freezer - about every 6 weeks ... we make the trek into Managua - to go to the PriceMart - about 2 hours each way - but worth it. Surf spots - they are about 5 different surf spots where we're at - all about 15-20 min car ride away.
Besides substance abuse the quickest way to go insane is to try and live in Gringolandia.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Yup, can totally relate.

In the right scenario would end up telling them I was from elsewhere - a country where I was sure they wouldn't know the language, like Croatia, Serbia, etc - and therefore minimal English.
When i go into town - to a store or restaurant etc - i never speak English .... always attempt to do everything in Spanish .... unless i'm talking to an ex-pat.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

CR family makes fun of how Nics say light bulb all the time:)

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
This is the first property we built in Nica - about a 100 yard walk to Colorado's. Subway and his wife stayed here a couple of times. This is what started it all for us.

20160905_125157.jpg

This is the house we originally built to retire in .... about a 10 minute walk to Colorados or Panga Drops - 2 minutes by golf cart! Yes- that is a pizza oven.

back.jpg

This is the view from the bedroom of the house i'm currently building. Overlooking the bay at San Juan Del Sur - if you look closely you can see the statue of Jesus on the hilltop to the right of the bay. Before Covid - we would see Cruise ships dock in the bay - at night when they were all lit up - pretty cool to see. Can't wait to check out the view from the pool with a cold one after a surf session.

20200818_130230.jpg

So to answer some questions - we originally had been taking some vacations in CR before convincing Mrs. Flyinraptr to give Nicaragua a try. One walk on the beach - and she proposed the idea of buying property in Nica - i suspected her of smoking weed behind my back. We built the rental place initially and made 2 or 3 trips annually before the idea of retiring and moving to Nica became a reality. We knew the rental property would not be big enough - so we went forward with buying another lot and building the second house. My Spanish - experience consisted of listening to Pimsler Spanish tapes on my way to work - prior to moving ... needless to say my Spanish was very very limited. Having never purchasing property outside the US - the idea of buying property within a gated community with an existing infrastructure seemed like a safe bet ... we had read about and talked to people who bought property and built houses with no water, electricity, roads, security, etc and it sounded daunting and way over our heads at the time. Now that we have been living in Nica for 3 years - and have a better understanding of how things work and the lay of the land - building a house is still an extremely challenging experience and way more hands on than we had anticipated. But at the end of the day ... i think the third time will be the charm and the thought of not having to deal with an HOA or other ex-pat @holes is worth the effort.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I'm a bit of a cunning linguist and my pro tip for learning any language faster is to learn how to ask, "What do you call this?" in the desired language. Then you can practise with absolutely anyone, anywhere, anytime. This really does expedite your expansion of your vocabulary.
If you can learn at least one new word a day that is great. Keep a note book and carry it around with you.
Don't be shy to sound silly with mis-pronunciations because the locals get a laugh and appreciate you making the effort to learn their language. Can be a great ice breaker.
Thai has 5 tones and their are sometimes quite a few words (for example 'Mai') without the tone but are completely different words when using the correct tone. Use the wrong tone for that word in a sentence the locals will still know that you are talking about 'silk' for example rather than a 'dog' and everyone will get a laugh.
I mention this because Autoprax has been discussing Vietnamese which actually has 6 tones.
Now use those new words. Don't be afraid to use them in a sentence where you are speaking English and you know a "Spanish" word (for eg) that go in part of that sentence. No use learning them if you don't use them.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Thai has 5 tones and their are sometimes quite a few words (for example 'Mai') without the tone but are completely different words when using the correct tone. Use the wrong tone for that word in a sentence the locals will still know that you are talking about 'silk' for example rather than a 'dog' and everyone will get a laugh.
I mention this because Autoprax has been discussing Vietnamese which actually has 6 tones.
My daughter is learning Japanese on her own and told me that Japanese is a pitch shifting language - that you slide the frequency of the word for emphasis unlike English where we vary the volume for emphasis. She said Chinese is like that too. Once she said it I realized I'd heard it but didn't understand what it was.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
This is the first property we built in Nica - about a 100 yard walk to Colorado's. Subway and his wife stayed here a couple of times. This is what started it all for us.

View attachment 96916

This is the house we originally built to retire in .... about a 10 minute walk to Colorados or Panga Drops - 2 minutes by golf cart! Yes- that is a pizza oven.

View attachment 96917

This is the view from the bedroom of the house i'm currently building. Overlooking the bay at San Juan Del Sur - if you look closely you can see the statue of Jesus on the hilltop to the right of the bay. Before Covid - we would see Cruise ships dock in the bay - at night when they were all lit up - pretty cool to see. Can't wait to check out the view from the pool with a cold one after a surf session.

View attachment 96918

So to answer some questions - we originally had been taking some vacations in CR before convincing Mrs. Flyinraptr to give Nicaragua a try. One walk on the beach - and she proposed the idea of buying property in Nica - i suspected her of smoking weed behind my back. We built the rental place initially and made 2 or 3 trips annually before the idea of retiring and moving to Nica became a reality. We knew the rental property would not be big enough - so we went forward with buying another lot and building the second house. My Spanish - experience consisted of listening to Pimsler Spanish tapes on my way to work - prior to moving ... needless to say my Spanish was very very limited. Having never purchasing property outside the US - the idea of buying property within a gated community with an existing infrastructure seemed like a safe bet ... we had read about and talked to people who bought property and built houses with no water, electricity, roads, security, etc and it sounded daunting and way over our heads at the time. Now that we have been living in Nica for 3 years - and have a better understanding of how things work and the lay of the land - building a house is still an extremely challenging experience and way more hands on than we had anticipated. But at the end of the day ... i think the third time will be the charm and the thought of not having to deal with an HOA or other ex-pat @holes is worth the effort.
What does something like the second house go for?