Mexico/Central America retirement

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The first question you need to ask yourself is what kind of waves you wanna surf, how often, and for how many years.
Are you trying to sell Baja real estate like MitchellC?

Because he always starts off with those questions.

Right before he tells you not to be a fool.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Anyplace here in Mexico where there’s decent surf language isn’t that much of a barrier. Even in rural areas there are plenty of people that have spent time in the states that learned enough English to get by (before they got deported).

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Anyplace here in Mexico where there’s decent surf language isn’t that much of a barrier. Even in rural areas there are plenty of people that have spent time in the states that learned enough English to get by (before they knocked someone up on the North side and read up on child support laws in the US).
Reparado.

So far I like El Salvador, Mexico, and I haven't ruled out Panama. Zero idea if I'll wind up any of these places; for now, just motivating to save.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Always dreamed of retiring early in CR. Quick google search shows some cheap houses and condos available still but yea the cost of living by a coastal town is like living in CA for the most part.

I think Panama would be a great option. Have a friend who moved his wife and him to Bocas Del Toro and is nothing but stoked.

Reactions: grapedrink

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Well yes, of course. I guess I'm starting with the assumption that the OP speaks at least some Spanish.

The Expat clicks are like high school for retirees. Those are the last people I would want to be around.
I speak landscape/nursery industry spanish...:/ My wife is fluent and has spent time studying in Mexico and Costa Rica, and is comfortable there...of course, I have not run any of this by her...

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I always love this kind of person.

I hate the direction this country is going so I'll move to a 3rd world country to live like the people I hate.
Can just imagine suggesting this to the blacks who are unhappy with their situation in America. "Have you thought about migrating back to your country of origin in Africa to be amongst your own people?"
Rawanda anyone? Anyone?
:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Can just imagine suggesting this to the blacks who are unhappy with their situation in America. "Have you thought about migrating back to your country of origin in Africa to be amongst your own people?"
Rawanda anyone? Anyone?
You are a little late with that idea. Think Liberia.
I guess aussies have nothing to relate to as far as pissing-on minorities. :whistle:

Reactions: Retropete

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Always dreamed of retiring early in CR. Quick google search shows some cheap houses and condos available still but yea the cost of living by a coastal town is like living in CA for the most part.

I think Panama would be a great option. Have a friend who moved his wife and him to Bocas Del Toro and is nothing but stoked.
Heard good things about Panama, use the US dollar, good roads, reasonably stable Government. Plus the fishing looks insane on the pacific side and the surf aint bad either.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I wasn't making commentary on race.

It's a commentary on those with money who move to 3rd world countries to "escape" whatever way the United States is going.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I wasn't making commentary on race.

It's a commentary on those with money who move to 3rd world countries to "escape" whatever way the United States is going.
I love the US but it's so crowded on the coast in so cal.

I think the allure of the 3rd world escape is a lesser crowded affordable coast.

I know this is a fantasy.

But it's a pretty good one.

Mi español is el guapo

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
None of them are moving to save money. They are just fed up with politics and direction this country is going and ready for a change.
Ah.....well, never to late to go on an adventure.

Wonder if they'll divest their wealth and take it with them or keep it in the USA and live off the proceeds.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Are you trying to sell Baja real estate like MitchellC?

Because he always starts off with those questions.

Right before he tells you not to be a fool.
You figured me out. Most people are better off leasing.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Rawanda anyone? Anyone?
Most of them have roots here that go back longer than Scots Irish migrants in the late nineteeth, early twentieth century.

Reactions: mundus