Mexico/Central America retirement

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I've thought about retiring to CR. Other places too.

Wouldn't sell the house, just rent it out (wanna keep my options open).

Reactions: tsenn

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most of them have roots here that go back longer than Scots Irish migrants in the late nineteeth, early twentieth century.
A lot of them wanted out

Marcus Garvey led them

A podcast for more recent times:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can just imagine suggesting this to the blacks who are unhappy with their situation in America. "Have you thought about migrating back to your country of origin in Africa to be amongst your own people?"
Rawanda anyone? Anyone?
:roflmao:

It's a thing:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I lived in Thailand for 11 years and have seen many who decide to move to Asia because they have been there many, many times on holidays. They may even have an Asian spouse. Often the reality of day to day living there vs holidaying there is far different to what they have envisaged and they end up unhappy or moving back.
If you are of European descent and move to Asia you must be willing to accept that no matter how long you live there, speak the language or do your best to assimilate the people will never accept you as one of their country people. That's just the bare reality of it. Some can deal with this. Others can not.
Would the same be said of Mexico/Central America?

Reactions: Mr Doof

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Belize is relatively affordable, safe, and beautiful. Everyone knows English and one or two additional languages. The currency is pegged at 2 BZ$ = 1 US$, no matter what. The populace, for the most part, is surprisingly educated. Not a lot of surf, but the diving is good. An interesting consideration for those who want to get away.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I lived in Thailand for 11 years and have seen many who decide to move to Asia because they have been there many, many times on holidays. They may even have an Asian spouse. Often the reality of day to day living there vs holidaying there is far different to what they have envisaged and they end up unhappy or moving back.
If you are of European descent and move to Asia you must be willing to accept that no matter how long you live there, speak the language or do your best to assimilate the people will never accept you as one of their country people. That's just the bare reality of it. Some can deal with this. Others can not.
Would the same be said of Mexico/Central America?
There are a lot more cultural similarities between countries in the Americas, so it would probably be easier to assimilate than moving to an Asian country.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There are a lot more cultural similarities between countries in the Americas, so it would probably be easier to assimilate than moving to an Asian country.
I loved Vietnam.

I could live there I think.

As I mentioned, American's don't accept me so it's no different.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I loved Vietnam.

I could live there I think.

As I mentioned, American's don't accept me so it's no different.
I could dig it too, it looks awesome there. Although I know what Retropete is getting at. The tension between expats and locals is more noticeable in Asian countries. The greater disparity between wealth could explain some of it, which leads to a more transactional nature to relationships.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Met many expats on my travels. Nearly every expat I've met were socially awkward weirdos. And a few of them I'm almost positive are pedos. I definitely don't want to be around them either. @grapedrink

• Haha
Reactions: Chocki and racer1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Met many expats on my travels. Nearly every expat I've met were socially awkward weirdos. And a few of them I'm almost positive are pedos. I definitely don't want to be around them either. @grapedrink
You know what they say about expats . . . . They're all either Wanted or Unwanted.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
You know what they say about expats . . . . They're all either Wanted or Unwanted.
i forgot about that saying. So true, probably. I should mention I've also met expats from other countries living in other foreign lands and they too are just as weird. Lol

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I could dig it too, it looks awesome there. Although I know what Retropete is getting at. The tension between expats and locals is more noticeable in Asian countries. The greater disparity between wealth could explain some of it, which leads to a more transactional nature to relationships.
I found the Vietnamese really welcoming.

My Aus friend married a local girl so he is friends with a bunch. They were nice to me because they knew him.

They love to drink.

I said to my Aussie friend, I'm glad I took a Ritalin so I could keep up.

I have been all over and Vietnam was the only country where I thought I could live. I felt really comfortable and safe.

I love the girls there.

But I love the girls everywhere.

Reactions: grapedrink