Menthol cigarettes - done?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I remember when I moved to Santa Cruz in 2004. Smoking in bars was illegal in CA but many bars in Santa Cruz still allowed it. I think the Asti was the last to allow it ad they stopped allowing it in 2017 or so.

FTR, I do not support a ban on flavored cigarettes/tobacco. If we're gonna ban it, ban all of it. Or ban none of it.
Yeah man it seemed all the bars I went to in Santa Cruz allowed smoking when I was there.

This is more government overreach

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
By what constitutional authority does the government ban a particular flavor of any legal product? Stop and think about this.

Is Cherry Coke next? Unfiltered Camels are OK but Menthol flavored cigarettes are banned? It is absolutely absurd.
Maybe read why the ban come about instead of asking stupid questions here and doing invalid comparisons.

:poke:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
:cry: LAEVE TUBACOO CORPARATONS ALOAN :cry:

Let them hook kids to tobacco, it's their right.
Cigarettes probably should be illegal, or at least I really wouldn’t mind if they were, but banning a particular flavor overwhelmingly enjoyed by black people seems a little, um, racist.

It’s criminalizing something that will disproportionately affect black people.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
:cry: LAEVE TUBACOO CORPARATONS ALOAN :cry:

Let them hook kids to tobacco, it's their right.
Then ban Tobacco products PERIOD. Government won't do that and democrats won't support that because there is too much government revenue tied up in the sale of the product.

PS. You conveniently ignored the last part of my post: "For the record I despise smoking and smokers. They are the world's biggest slobs. The world is their ashtray."

Reactions: Ifallalot

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Where in the constitution does it say the feds can't ban literally anything they want?
It's funny that they loose their sh!t because this is somehow "government overreach".

But they never have a problem with corporate overreach.
There's no issue with tobacco corporations purposefully targeting kids and black people to make them addicts to their product so they get lifelong consumers (mileage may vary).

This is literally why government exist, it's in their job description.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Then ban Tobacco products PERIOD. Government won't do that and democrats won't support that because there is too much government revenue tied up in the sale of the product.
Cigarettes taste like sh!t to somebody who tries them for the first time.

Menthol makes them palatable to first time smokers and kids.

Tabacco is an addictive substance

Did you read anything about this ban at all? Jesusfuckingchrist

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It's funny that they loose their sh!t because this is somehow "government overreach".

But they never have a problem with corporate overreach.
There's no issue with tobacco corporations purposefully targeting kids and black people to make them addicts to their product so they get lifelong consumers (mileage may vary).

This is literally why government exist, it's in their job description.
Just when I think someone can't have a more incorrect and worse take on something, here it is

So it follows that you want to ban alcohol, drugs, junk food, soda, and caffeine as well, right?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I get the corporations targeting certain demographics.

But now many black people are like, "I know all this, and I like my menthols. Fcuk you for trying to take them away. And stop infantilizing black people. If you wanna ban cigarettes, just ban them all. But this is another example of targeting us."

I think they have a fair point.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Just when I think someone can't have a more incorrect and worse take on something, here it is

So it follows that you want to ban alcohol, drugs, junk food, soda, and caffeine as well, right?
None of those products are physically addictive.

Why always so terrible at valid comparisons.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I get the corporations targeting certain demographics.

But now many black people are like, "I know all this, and I like my menthols. Fcuk you for trying to take them away. And stop infantilizing black people. If you wanna ban cigarettes, just ban them all. But this is another example of targeting us."

I think they have a fair point.
That's not the reason for the ban but okay.

It's about first time smokers and young smokers.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
People need vice, always have. You can't ban everything. Everything in moderation.
The difference is that tobacco is an addictive substance.

And that tobacco companies are ruthlessly targeting young people so they can get most mileage out of their consumers before they die.

Why is this so hard.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Every single one of those is physically addictive

Did you really just try and say alcohol and drugs aren't physically addictive? Sugar?

:roflmao:
They are not physically addictive moron.

Most people drink occasionally.
Most people eat sugary stuff occasionally.
Vast majority can quit consuming them for months or forever without any issue.
Alcoholism starts with other disorders.

Not so with tobacco. It's much much harder to quit.

Didn't you used to drink beer before you joined Proud Bois and went straight edge?

• Haha

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

None of those products are physically addictive.

Why always so terrible at valid comparisons.
Holy sh!t. You really are stupid if you believe this.

I will openly admit being physically addicted to caffeine. If I don't get my caffeine in the morning by 11am I will have a raging migraine and by 1:00 I'd be curled up in the fetal position feeling like my skull was going to explode. More than once I've quit caffeine cold turkey and that's how I know. I've kicked it a few times but it always sucks me back in within a couple of months.