Menthol cigarettes - done?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Isn't the enforcement going to be on the distributors and retailers?

I don't know anything about cigarettes other than oh my god worst smell ever my sinuses are on fire, but won't they just switch to something else?

I use canned clam sauce to augment/stretch the ingredients I throw in myself. Publix stopped carrying Progresso. Now they have Bumble Bee. I can't really tell the difference.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Isn't the enforcement going to be on the distributors and retailers?
Right because it would totally impossible to buy menthols in Mexico or on an Indian reservation or the internet and sell them to costumers illegally on the street where police would enforce the law JUST LIKE THEY DO WITH people selling loosies in NYC.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't know anything about cigarettes other than oh my god worst smell ever my sinuses are on fire, but won't they just switch to something else?

I use canned clam sauce to augment/stretch the ingredients I throw in myself. Publix stopped carrying Progresso. Now they have Bumble Bee. I can't really tell the difference.
Right because it would totally impossible to buy menthols in Mexico or on an Indian reservation or the internet and sell them to costumers illegally on the street where police would enforce the law JUST LIKE THEY DO WITH people selling loosies in NYC.
I see you missed the rest of my post where I attempted to address that; I quoted it here.

I don't know anything about this stuff; is a menthol so much better, for some people, than whatever the hell "regular" is, that there'll be a real black market for this?

I mean a 100% ban on tobacco, yeah I agree. One kind of one type of tobacco.....won't they just get non-menthol from the same store they go to today instead?

If Trappist Ales were banned, and I wanted a beer, I'm pretty sure I'd buy some other kind of beer, not seek out black market Trappist Ales.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can't smell from my patrol car whether someone is smoking regular or menthol cigs, unless I say "Hey, you there smoking, come over here so I can see if that's a regular or a menthol."
And then the guy says “fuck you pig!”, you get out of your patrol car and smack him with your billy club. He reaches into his pants for some reason and you get scared and shoot him dead.

Thanks, Biden!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I see you missed the rest of my post where I attempted to address that; I quoted it here.

I don't know anything about this stuff; is a menthol so much better, for some people, than whatever the hell "regular" is, that there'll be a real black market for this?

I mean a 100% ban on tobacco, yeah I agree. One kind of one type of tobacco.....won't they just get non-menthol from the same store they go to today instead?

If Trappist Ales were banned, and I wanted a beer, I'm pretty sure I'd buy some other kind of beer, not seek out black market Trappist Ales.
People are very particular about their cigarettes. Menthol smokers are going to be pissed and there will be a black market for menthols.

Price will be competitive with legal regular smokes because taxes make up the largest portion of a pack of cigarettes. Those taxes won’t apply to black market menthols because they will come from mexico or Indian reservations or online or...

What would normally be paid in taxes will become profit for the “smugglers” of the contraband cigarettes.

For fuck sake. How many examples of this have we seen in america?

Prohibition, war on drugs...

Come on, man. You know the thing.

Reactions: Clayster

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Anyone remember the times smoking public places, work, bars, etc?

i never smoked habitually but occasionally would suck down a dart while three sheets bellied up. Menthol would be preferred. Spent time around second hand and developed the cravings.

whats next? mint or apple skoal For the white supremacists that are the new terrorists?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Anyone remember the times smoking public places, work, bars, etc?
I remember when I moved to Santa Cruz in 2004. Smoking in bars was illegal in CA but many bars in Santa Cruz still allowed it. I think the Asti was the last to allow it ad they stopped allowing it in 2017 or so.

FTR, I do not support a ban on flavored cigarettes/tobacco. If we're gonna ban it, ban all of it. Or ban none of it.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
If he banned the regular sh!t flavored ones, I'd still say fuck that sh!t!

Don't we have bigger fish to fry, like fat people, driving while distracted or being a lena dunham?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
By what constitutional authority does the government ban a particular flavor of any legal product? Stop and think about this.

Is Cherry Coke next? Unfiltered Camels are OK but Menthol flavored cigarettes are banned? It is absolutely absurd.

For the record I despise smoking and smokers. They are the world's biggest slobs. The world is their ashtray.