Mental Health thread

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Mental health couldn't be better. Hell, best in years (decades?).

Got an awesome job with excellent benefits in an area (NorCal) that I'm learning to absolutely love; so awesome to be out of the manicured homogenization that is SoCal. Not that I didn't massively enjoy life down there but man, this place kicks ass. Moving, getting kids enrolled, going through escrow right now on old place, all hellish beyond hell (deadlifts my ass; just dolly fridges, washers, dryers, etc. up and down stairs) but almost completely sorted out. I've been playing it relatively conservative so far as surfing but am loving the overall rawness of it up here and conditions have been great. So. Stocked. And the food, while a little pricy, it does not play. Kickass Mexican joint down the way from me. Every weekend take my family out and explore a new place - wife and kids are both acclimated and loving it up here.

Oh and having Russian River Brewing just down the way and getting growlers of Pliny at will isn't hurting the mental health either. :jamon:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

Got an awesome job with excellent benefits in an area (NorCal) that I'm learning to absolutely love; so awesome to be out of the manicured homogenization that is SoCal. Not that I didn't massively enjoy life down there but man, this place kicks ass. Moving, getting kids enrolled, going through escrow right now on old place, all hellish beyond hell (deadlifts my ass; just dolly fridges, washers, dryers, etc. up and down stairs) but almost completely sorted out. I've been playing it relatively conservative so far as surfing but am loving the overall rawness of it up here and conditions have been great. So. Stocked. And the food, while a little pricy, it does not play. Kickass Mexican joint down the way from me. Every weekend take my family out and explore a new place - wife and kids are both acclimated and loving it up here.

Oh and having Russian River Brewing just down the way and getting growlers of Pliny at will isn't hurting the mental health either. :jamon:
Stoked for you brother. I bet the change is good.

Reactions: Kento

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Where did you end up?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The Sonoma coast is pretty raw.
I went to Bodega Bay, it was a little too rough and tumble for my blood. Damp and overcast the whole time.

But those rolling hills coming in reminded me of my idyllic SoCal upbringing in the hills of the south east San Gabriel valley. All gone now, covered with houses.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The Sonoma coast is pretty raw.
Part of what made it awesome today. Conditions were raw indeed today, very random and shifty out there with sneaker sets galore, including the biggest one that landed right in front of me. Duckdove them but got rocked in process. Even that is fun. But lots of late drops off double ups, tons of speed, most not made around the corner, with not much in the way of escape hatch. So damn fun. Love this sh!t. :jamon:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Part of what made it awesome today. Conditions were raw indeed today, very random and shifty out there with sneaker sets galore, including the biggest one that landed right in front of me. Duckdove them but got rocked in process. Even that is fun. But lots of late drops off double ups, tons of speed, most not made around the corner, with not much in the way of escape hatch. So damn fun. Love this sh!t. :jamon:
Salmon Creek has many moods. Often like you described, although I've also seen it break beautiful and peaky close to shore as well :jamon:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Salmon Creek has many moods. Often like you described, although I've also seen it break beautiful and peaky close to shore as well :jamon:
I've had a range of different types of sessions even already but #1 quality is the raw push behind waves. And they rock you good when they get you. I love it - that's the thing that makes surfing fun, if not damaging at times (but that's also fun). Followed 3+ hour sesh by hiking with kids through redwoods near Occidental. Awesome day.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

I went camping a few weeks ago in that zone and it was great. Saw 2 bald eagles in the estuary.

A friend of mine relocated to your area (he might be in RP, I forget) and loves it. Surfs your spot quite a bit on the weekends. Good surfer (particularly for that area), goofyfoot, quiet, Coast Guard. If you're there on the weekends, you'll see him around. I hate that I don't come up there much and he basically writes off any attempt at surfing on this side of the bridge unless he's sneaking an after work summer session. Too many people.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

Nice! Some fun spots up that way, and a bunch more a short drive away. We have family there and visit often.

Reactions: Leaverite and Kento

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Nice! Some fun spots up that way, and a bunch more a short drive away. We have family there and visit often.
On a big south swell. North of Salmon. There are some gems. Even farther north.

PA. One of my long time surfing bros lived about 12 miles away as the crow flies. He passed away recently while surfing. My dad was stationed there when I was a tike. Coast Guard. In charge of Loran. Don H. was my friend.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Also... "not living in Arizona".

• Haha