Mental Health thread

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i've been on the psilocybin micro dosing bandwagon, and i think that may be the ticket. Clarity, less anxiety, and FFS i'm taking little droplets of mushroom juice! how rad is that?
Rad indeed.

Been considering that myself for a while. Some folks have found relief from chronic headaches by hopping on that ride. I would be super stoked if it worked for me.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sleep is my biggest challenge as well. I've gotten better as I've aged but I still struggle sometimes. When my sleep schedule gets out of whack everything else starts to slip and I become even more insufferable than normal.
I've never been a good sleeper.

I feel great with 7 hours but usually get about 6.

Also had bad bouts of insomnia over the years where I only sleep a few hours over 3 or 4 days.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I can understand burning at 10 and not being able to fall asleep at midnight.

If I prebaked a couple Oregon surfs, that sub-60 water, some current, wearing some sets....then no post-surf bake?

There's dinosaurs in the ground that wouldn't sleep as well as I would.
Two to three hours in 6-8 ft at 17 sec surf in December during a dawn patrol with a tide change, then home to scarf down leftovers with digestion time on the couch, and suddenly it is 3 PM.

Edit:
Scholarly work on topic of caffeine here (click me).

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Those nights when your mind is racing and you can't sleep?

View attachment 94612

You could also try melatonin but that's why I needed the above. Sh*t backfired and I was awake for 3 out of 4 days. The only reason I slept Day 2 was because I hiked 20+ miles the day before on zero sleep. Then next two days, no sleep. Sucked.

Doc got me on track with the above but the good sh*t.
Yeah, my whole thing is the mind racing at night. Not even anxiety or negativity. Just thinking about anything and everything.

Of course an exciting upcoming day of peakbagging or good swell coming makes it tough too.

Sublingual melatonin works very well for me. The oral does nothing.

Valerian root orally is excellent.

Unisom is very effective for me. OTC and much better than Bendryl with minimal hangover. I'll take half a tab.

For jetlag or to break a bout of insomnia I take doxepin 10mg. No hangover whatsoever. Downside is you have wait to take it 3 hours after eating. Never jetlagged anymore, usually take it the first 3 nights and I'm good to go every day. Before that terrible jetlag.

Best thing I've found is my body likes an early bedtime between 830 and 930. That's how I sleep the longest. Attaining that early bedtime is difficult though.

Reactions: CutnSnip and Kento

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've never been a good sleeper.

I feel great with 7 hours but usually get about 6.

Also had bad bouts of insomnia over the years where I only sleep a few hours over 3 or 4 days.
My early 20's were brutal. I had stretches of like 3-4 hrs per night as well. Sometimes for multiple weeks strait. Laying there for hours on end, completely unable to shut down, is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Thankfully I rarely experience anything like that anymore.

7 is the minimum for me to feel decent but if I get 8 or even 9 for a few nights a row I feel amazing. Not to keep harping on the book but I believe it said that 7 hrs per night is the minimum recommended amount of sleep for healthy adults. Also, if I recall there was significant gains in performance and lower levels of injury among athletes who got more than 7 hours. I think for highly active people 9-10 hours a night is actually ideal but good luck with that.

Reactions: Maz

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My early 20's were brutal. I had stretches of like 3-4 hrs per night as well. Sometimes for multiple weeks strait. Laying there for hours on end, completely unable to shut down, is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Thankfully I rarely experience anything like that anymore.

7 is the minimum for me to feel decent but if I get 8 or even 9 for a few nights a row I feel amazing. Not to keep harping on the book but I believe it said that 7 hrs per night is the minimum recommended amount of sleep for healthy adults. Also, if I recall there was significant gains in performance and lower levels of injury among athletes who got more than 7 hours. I think for highly active people 9-10 hours a night is actually ideal but good luck with that.
Yeah, 8 hours I feel like a million bucks.

The scary thing is people that have no idea I don't sleep well actually notice a change in me when I've slept 7 hours or more.

Basically what I've read is because I generally only sleep 6 - 6.5 hrs a night I'm basically impaired to the level of drunkeness on a daily basis.

I'm guessing it's kinda like weed - you pretty much learn how to function stoned all the time and after a while you can pretty much do anything baked.

Reactions: Aruka

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Getting guaranteed good sleep for me is actually a three step process before bedtime:

1. Hit the gym hard *after* work. Intense muscle burn clears the mind something wonderful.
  2. Eat a sweet potato and drink a glass of milk. Carbs!
  3. Read some mindless novel until the eyes get heavy.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Have dealt with sleep issues my whole life.

When my mind is awake there is no fighting it. Some weeks I‘ll consistently sleep close to 8hrs while others I am closer to 4-5, max. When I am in a phase of sleeping less at night I try to nap after work instead.

sleep-aids in order of rested quality sleep:

Jet lag travel > exercise exhaustion > sex > melatonin + 5htp > thc > ambien > masturbation > tossing and turning > alcohol

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

I'm usually asleep by 9.30pm, and get up either at 5am (if working early), or at 6am to bring my wife a cup of tea in bed and then go for a surf.

During the Covid lockdown, and in the immediate aftermath, I got so tense - mentally and physically - that my sleep was ruined. Slept like a log till 1-2am, then hours of being awake. Felt terrible.

Started addressing a whole raft of issues, and things are much better now. I suspect that a holistic approach to health will be of huge benefit: deal with the shoulder injuries; deal with what's going on in your head; do all the practical stuff to sleep better; finish those overdue projects, etc.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka I don't know how you aren't passing out multiple times a day, every time I surfed sub 60 degree water I would have to take a nap mid afternoon and be in bed by 9pm. Yes, I'm a pussy.
It's not usually a problem when I'm surfing all the time but sometimes, like if I'm excited about the swell forecast I will have trouble sleeping the night before. I think it's usually an anxiety thing for me, just can't shut my brain off thinking about whatever will be happening the next day.

Reactions: rts265

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
@Aruka I don't know how you aren't passing out multiple times a day, every time I surfed sub 60 degree water I would have to take a nap mid afternoon and be in bed by 9pm. Yes, I'm a pussy.
Ha that’s why I had to start limiting my winter surf session durations. Cause a couple hours of thumping 40 degree water beach break followed by a commute and work day. Exhausting. A one hour surf is a good time, provided you get some good ones

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Have read lots of this thread and lots of good stuff. See afoaf's backpacking trip thread. Going off the grid into the mountains for a few days with nobody around is a good and easy (and mostly free) mental reboot.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
[QUOTE="Subway, post: 3204620,
]... it is NOT an effective anxiety treatment during the work day, by any means

[/QUOTE]
Yeah,, no, not during the workday

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
yeah i cut my coffee off by noon, maybe 2 pm occasionally. The early days of the lock down, when i was working 16 hours a day dismantling everything i had on the books for 2020, i was a over-caffeinated mess. had to dial it back a bit

And yeah cannabis for me is kind of a mixed bag. i enjoy it sometimes because it just makes my brain wander off in whatever direction it wants, an often-welcome distraction these days, but it's not really an anxiety treatment. It doesn't make me paranoid or anything too extreme, but it can certainly make me far antsier than i would like. Even the pure Indica flowers and oils. It's good for getting goofy when others around me are drinking, it's good for binge watching good shows or movies. it is NOT an effective anxiety treatment during the work day, by any means

And since I'm putting it all out there, i've been on the psilocybin micro dosing bandwagon, and i think that may be the ticket. Clarity, less anxiety, and FFS i'm taking little droplets of mushroom juice! how rad is that?
Want! 5/7 would bang. +1 needing to know for a friend.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Hope everyone got a great night sleep and is feeling well and open to positivity for now and the future

for anyone who has trouble falling asleep because your mind is on things that keep you up I wonder if you’ve tried what I do.
I listen to something that I’m familiar with that keeps my interest enough to not have my mind wander, but not so interesting that it keeps me awake.
I go through phases where I watch the same thing every night for months. Something mind numbing

lately it’s an episode of schitts creek
Before that it was Seth Meyers stand up
When I was a kid, it was talk radio, when talk radio was story telling and not politics

A single earbud is easy to fall asleep with. Amazingly, when I wake up, the earbud is usually still in my ear

I’m no sleep expert, but calming the mind seems to help.Consider trying this to calm your mind

but if it fvcks you up in any way, don’t blame me. Keep in mind that I’m just some random guy on the internet

Last edited: