Mens CT Dims from Stab

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think many of those pros lied about their height and weight.

My uncle who was a pro surfer many years ago and won a few events on tour said that pro Rockered boards need big fins. Low rocker boards should be on upright smaller fins. He said if you’re not riding Jordys boards than you shouldn’t be riding his fins.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I'm 140 on a heavy day and large fins are usually too stiff for me, the exception being twinnys and grovellers.

Had a Medium(medium large?) set of CI orange fins I bought from one of you and they were drivey but I couldn't get them to release for the life of me

edit, I love upright fins and all my friends think im crazy, Kelly fins for Beachbreak yes

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm 140 on a heavy day and large fins are usually too stiff for me, the exception being twinnys and grovellers.

Had a Medium(medium large?) set of CI orange fins I bought from one of you and they were drivey but I couldn't get them to release for the life of me

edit, I love upright fins and all my friends think im crazy, Kelly fins for Beachbreak yes
All the pros have strengthened considerably over the last decade, with the exception of Slater.

Thats why his turns don't cut it at CT level anymore.

Athletic development has been a far bigger factor than board design, IMO.

When you see the quads on Ethan Ewing for eg, you'll understand why he can put so much torque into his turns.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
All the pros have strengthened considerably over the last decade, with the exception of Slater.

Thats why his turns don't cut it at CT level anymore.

Athletic development has been a far bigger factor than board design, IMO.

When you see the quads on Ethan Ewing for eg, you'll understand why he can put so much torque into his turns.
good point, watched Kei Kobiyashi get yoked on his IG and shredz hard now. I'm still a hobit and my 27.5 liter rnf is almost too boaty sometimes

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Also all the 5’11 guys are probably 5’9.

Ive seen a lot of these guys around the NS. They are not that tall as a collective. According to this, More than half the tour is 5’10 Plus??

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I've been next to a lot of Professional Rugby League players and a lot of the Aussie pros are up there in terms of size and weight.

I was standing right next to Connor O the other day- he's a unit. Big body.

Yes, more than half the Tour is 5'10 plus.

That evolution has been happening for a while.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been next to a lot of Professional Rugby League players and a lot of the Aussie pros are up there in terms of size and weight.

I was standing right next to Connor O the other day- he's a unit. Big body.

Yes, more than half the Tour is 5'10 plus.

That evolution has been happening for a while.
Interesting. Always thought the Tour averaged around 5’9” based on who I saw in person.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Not anymore- Brazilians drag down the averages.

I interviewed the 2% briefly on the beach at Snapper when the CS was on.

I'm a legit 5'10 classic middleweight.

All those guys towered over me- Kolohe, Cole Houshmand, Schilling, etc etc

Pretty shocked at the size of Houshmand actually- that guy is a seriously big unit.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
Hmm. Im a smidge under 6 foot and 81 kg and I ride 29-30L. Anything over that feels too boaty. I'm surprised I'm riding the same (in some cases less) literage as CT guys.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Hmm. Im a smidge under 6 foot and 81 kg and I ride 29-30L. Anything over that feels too boaty. I'm surprised I'm riding the same (in some cases less) literage as CT guys.
to be frank, you're probably too weak or have poor technique.

I've got an 80 kilo mate who can throw full rail turns and vertical reos on a 7'6" gun.

If you know how to apply pressure to a rail 30 litres is nothing at your weight.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In your observation, which pro would you say has the best ass?
Taylor Knox - when he's in front of you paddling around it looks like he has two boulders from the Flintstones for an ass.
Not anymore- Brazilians drag down the averages.

I interviewed the 2% briefly on the beach at Snapper when the CS was on.

I'm a legit 5'10 classic middleweight.

All those guys towered over me- Kolohe, Cole Houshmand, Schilling, etc etc

Pretty shocked at the size of Houshmand actually- that guy is a seriously big unit.
Schitt Jelling is not a large man, he's my size or smaller, I was sitting next to him in the water the other day contemplating his small size. Maybe 5'8 and 135 lbs.

If he towers over you must be 5'3, not 5'10.

Cole Houshmand would devour him him like a chicken strip.
These guys are riding large fins at 150 lbs because of the significant single concave and tail rocker on the boards.
I'm having a lot of trouble believing these guys are riding large fins all the time.

Also, the pro's boards these days are not as extreme as you guys keep thinking.

@145lbs and having ridden quite a few very rockered, deep single concave boards I can tell you putting larges in very much changes the way a board performs when the waves get bigger. In small surf you get heaps more drive and it forces you to use your rail, downside is when the waves get bigger or hollow (say just OH zone) you are overfinned and the boards will track when you're setting up for the tube. You find yourself either getting clipped by the lip or unable to get your inside rail under control.

Perhaps this changes a bit when the waves get bigger and hollower but I've never had the guts to find out, I just stick with mediums.

At the same time I do ride larges in my very flat rockered wide tailed grovelers without issue.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Back in 2018 my kids got to surf with Gabby and his sister at Lowers and he was nice enough to hang with them for a little bit on the beach. Got to check out closely what he was riding. Conditions were stomach to shoulder high and soft. The board he was riding that day was noticeably thick on its center line which really stood out to me. Rails were thin and foiled but believe me that board had plenty of foam. What really stood out to me that day was how early he could get to his feet on a gutless wave. These guys have boards that are super dialed in for them and the spot and conditions for the day so putting one dimension on a chart like in the original post probably isn't worth a whole lot.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
@GromsDad Medina is well known for riding boards that are different to others on tour: his boards are much flatter with less concave and have wider noses

@casa_mugrienta check out Mayhem’s description of his new Futures template in Vapor core: “With the trends in modern HP shortboards going towards more curve under the rear foot for critical pocket surfing, we felt the need for the fins to evolve with the board rockers. We wanted to add a bit more base, with more rake and a narrower.” This fin is larger and more raked than the typical Lost template to account for the changes in hpsbs.