Mens CT Dims from Stab

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
@casa_mugrienta check out Mayhem’s description of his new Futures template in Vapor core: “With the trends in modern HP shortboards going towards more curve under the rear foot for critical pocket surfing, we felt the need for the fins to evolve with the board rockers. We wanted to add a bit more base, with more rake and a narrower.” This fin is larger and more raked than the typical Lost template to account for the changes in hpsbs.
Marketing.

The fin was released along with the Driver 3.0

"Simply stated, the DRIVER3.0 features slightly more tail rocker and a deeper double to single concave, through the rear half, than its predecessor, the Driver2.0. The deck line in the tail is scooped out, with lower, boxy rails, to follow the bottom curve and slice seamlessly into the water. More concave means more lift and more rail line rocker. More lift means more speed. More rail rocker, means more curve, for searing, tight radius turns."

Board rockers are not evolving. If anything they've found a good medium. There is nothing new about the 3.0's rocker or concave compared to boards of the past. There is no need for a new fin, the oodles of guys on the team riding other fins in the board demonstrates this.

Reactions: j_mac and JDJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Back in 2018 my kids got to surf with Gabby and his sister at Lowers and he was nice enough to hang with them for a little bit on the beach. Got to check out closely what he was riding. Conditions were stomach to shoulder high and soft. The board he was riding that day was noticeably thick on its center line which really stood out to me. Rails were thin and foiled but believe me that board had plenty of foam. What really stood out to me that day was how early he could get to his feet on a gutless wave. These guys have boards that are super dialed in for them and the spot and conditions for the day so putting one dimension on a chart like in the original post probably isn't worth a whole lot.
Salsa once told me Gabby's model was the best shortboard he'd ever ridden, not to mention the easiest.

The ones I've seen were so user friendly looking.

The most amazing surfer on the planet rides the most pedestrian equipment. Hm.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
$.02

Not that much of a fan of raked fins in high tail rocker boards.

Boards with higher tail rocker, to me, the board wants to go top to bottom. Period. The rake/swept fins just feel like it kills some responsiveness/quickness, and makes it feel more 'stuck in the mud' along that same top to bottom line the board wants to draw.

I find it hard to believe Toledo is 5'7" and Slater is 5'9" based on photos of them standing close to each other. The tour or tour-adjacent pros I've seen in real life are the Hobgoblins, Bruce Irons, Nathan Fletcher, Chipper Wilson, Gabe Kling, Asher Nolan, and Aaron Cormican.

They're all Hobbits. Halflings. Shirefolk.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
$.02

Not that much of a fan of raked fins in high tail rocker boards.

Boards with higher tail rocker, to me, the board wants to go top to bottom. Period. The rake/swept fins just feel like it kills some responsiveness/quickness, and makes it feel more 'stuck in the mud' along that same top to bottom line the board wants to draw.

I find it hard to believe Toledo is 5'7" and Slater is 5'9" based on photos of them standing close to each other. The tour or tour-adjacent pros I've seen in real life are the Hobgoblins, Bruce Irons, Nathan Fletcher, Chipper Wilson, Gabe Kling, Asher Nolan, and Aaron Cormican.

They're all Hobbits. Halflings. Shirefolk.
Kelly looks childlike in the water.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Not anymore- Brazilians drag down the averages.

I interviewed the 2% briefly on the beach at Snapper when the CS was on.

I'm a legit 5'10 classic middleweight.

All those guys towered over me- Kolohe, Cole Houshmand, Schilling, etc etc

Pretty shocked at the size of Houshmand actually- that guy is a seriously big unit.
Yeah I saw Cole walking down the path at Rockies and he’s huge.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Al the early 20's guys around where I live are much bigger and muscular than kids from the past. My nephews and all of their friends are big dudes. So I would think the tour guys would be the same, it's generational.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I thought the ideal build of a surfer was like 5’8@160lbs or so. compact to fit in small waves like they’re much bigger (for the judges) and stout enough to handle buck and chop of a more active sea. Call it the Connor Coffin build.

is this why the Brazilians have taken over - Americans and Aussies are not longer ideally sized for the chit wave tour?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I thought the ideal build of a surfer was like 5’8@160lbs or so. compact to fit in small waves like they’re much bigger (for the judges) and stout enough to handle buck and chop of a more active sea. Call it the Connor Coffin build.

is this why the Brazilians have taken over - Americans and Aussies are not longer ideally sized for the chit wave tour?
The Brazilians have taken over because they want it more. It used to be the kid whose Dad sold bait and escaped from a suboptimal home environment into surfing, like Slater. Or some hellraisers like the Lopezes and Ward. Or generational working class, like Irons and Curren.

Now everyone's going to Mentawaii and Tahitarua and has ebikes and sh!t.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
The Brazilians have taken over because they want it more. It used to be the kid whose Dad sold bait and escaped from a suboptimal home environment into surfing, like Slater. Or some hellraisers like the Lopezes and Ward. Or generational working class, like Irons and Curren.

It is true. Even the local fishing groms are beating me to the walk in fishing spots with the help of their E-bikes.

• Haha

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Yeah, I was just kidding about the last part.

Americans get sponsors at 12 and are burnt out by 16. They tapped so much @$$ by the time they have a drivers license, they don’t have the hunger to grind it out.

it’s no wonder they’re all married by the time they’re 25.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
if hes 5'7" then why does wsl list him as 5'9"?

• Stance

Regular
  • First season

2009 Men's QS
    28 Apr 16, 1995
  • Height

5 ft, 9 in 175 cm
  • Weight

154 lbs 70 kg
  • Hometown

Ubatuba, São Paulo, Brazil

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
ethans height and weight are different on wsl site too

Ethan Ewing
Australia

Follow 16k
25 Sep 2, 1998
  • Height

5 ft, 11 in 178 cm
  • Weight

169 lbs 77 kg

maybe its not updated every year?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Al the early 20's guys around where I live are much bigger and muscular than kids from the past. My nephews and all of their friends are big dudes. So I would think the tour guys would be the same, it's generational.
Obesogenic environment with abundant calories.

May 10, 2018
to be frank, you're probably too weak or have poor technique.

I've got an 80 kilo mate who can throw full rail turns and vertical reos on a 7'6" gun.

If you know how to apply pressure to a rail 30 litres is nothing at your weight.
I know my technique isn't anywhere near pro level but it isn't beginner level. And I do go to the gym 3 times a week (always including legs lol). This was last month on a stock 6'0 ghost 29ish litres. The picture on my avatar is the same board.

Attachments