Meanwhile, in New Jersey

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Its still going today. This has been a great run of warm weather waves. Water was nearly 80 on Friday when I surfed. Still probably 75 last night. Been fun waves every day.
Given how MESSED UP EVERYTHING IS DUE TO DONALD TRUMP, I'm glad the beleaguered surfers in New Jersey are getting some waves

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

FWIW, during this pandemic..... I've seen people lighting campfires on the beach in Belmar, drinking on the beach, openly smoking weed, drinking in public. For the record, none of these bother me as long as they're not bothering, harassing, or hurting anyone.

However, I've yet to see anyone get tackled for any of the aforementioned activities.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Point Pleasant Beach Defends Police Response In Video: UPDATE
Police defended their response to an arrest involving a Black man that was shown in a video on social media.

POINT PLEASANT BEACH – A video showing several Point Pleasant Beach police officers arresting a Black man on the boardwalk this past weekend prompted the department's police chief to defend law enforcement's behavior, while others at the scene or on social media protested the cops' actions.
Point Pleasant Beach Police Chief Joseph Michigan defended the officers' handling of the arrest of Zakee Murphy, 29, of Garfield, whom police said was arrested on Sunday at 5:55 p.m.
In a release, Michigan said Murphy "was NOT arrested for drinking in public," disputing such claims on social media. "He was arrested for failure to give his proper name and resisting arrest."
"One of the biggest problems with social media is that it often presents only one side of a story, creating a false narrative," Michigan said.
The video shows at least six police officers who appeared to wrestle the man as he leaned on a bench, bringing him to the boardwalk's surface before he was led away.
"Why are you all doing that to him?" one person can be heard saying. Others used obscenities to protest police actions while someone said "embarrassing."
Murphy was walking down the boardwalk drinking a bottle of Hennessey liquor, Michigan said. when officers stopped him and informed him of the local ordinance that prohibits drinking alcohol in public. He said Murphy was asked for identification.
Murphy didn't have it and provided a false name to officers, Michigan said. He said Murphy then walked away, failed to comply with officers' orders to put his hands behind his back and "began resisting arrest."
Michigan said additional officers were called to ensure "the safety and security of all patrons on the boardwalk at the time. No excessive force was used." He also said a bench from the area was moved to prevent an injury.
Michigan also said there has been a 170 percent increase in drinking-in-public violations, and related ones, this year compared to 2019.
"Based on recent conversations with public officials and residents, many perceive that Point Pleasant Beach has become less of a family vacation destination due to the aforementioned statistics," he said. "This staggering increase threatens the quality of life of our residents, and it is a threat I plan to fight head on."

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Because I'm a Republican I defend Police who use six officers to forcefully take down a peaceful Black man who didn't have identification with him. I accept the Police officer's explanation that "he gave a false name," not reasoning that there's no way the Police officer could have known that, unless he already knew who the man was. Because I'm a Republican I think that Police hassling peaceful citizenss is fine.

• Love
Reactions: mundus and hal9000

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
some dickbag on my street felt threatened by all the BLM lawn signs and is now flying a Police Lives Matter flag