Makua VLOG

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
He knows how to throw out the headline with the most hook. He already said all your waves are mine at Pipeline right, I hope I have the right one. You can't really top that, but think of all the clicks of all the millions of clicks that headline got. I swear it was on TMZ! So what if a hostess at a country club in Duluth is looking at it going "That doesn't look like a hundred feet to me, but are they allowed to do that? What about the turtles? Where are their masks?!"

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Good for them charging the big stuff - but towing in a bit boring to watch unless it is Kai Lenny or someone pulling in-

Good on the 12 yr old - but kid was so far out in front as was big bad Makua - get in the pit like Justine!

Reactions: PPK96754

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
This kid Jackson Lebsack, lives with JOB's dad, has a way better vlog than Jaime! He's likeable and genuine.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I'm not trying to jump in and defend anyone on here, I didn't watch his vlog, but as a counterpoint I'll just say that my interactions with Makua have been mostly positive. I have observed and been around him since he was a little kid, he has not had a charmed or easy life -- he grew up very different from his brothers.

Regarding his pidgin, Makua can absolutely speak good English but lots of Hawaiians who speak pidgin regularly can switch to "good English" when they have to or want to.

When there are no cameras around, he is very cool and supportive to young local surfers, very encouraging in a "have fun don't take it all so serious" kind of way, which may seem ironic but that's my observation.

I will also say that he can be very "hot and cold," sometimes he hugs me and talks my ear off and sometimes he straight up acts like I'm not there, and it seems to have little to do with who else is around. I chalk it up to a personality thing, and maybe something he's not conscious of, so whatever.

Vlogs seem to be the new way to milk a surf career, but it sure is making things more crowded and miserable for us average joes

Last edited:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
[QUOTE="rowjimmytour, post:
Hey fellow erbbers I see a purple sunset in your eyes....
[/QUOTE]

those are my two black eyes. i got punched out for laughing ‘cause he sings like a chick...
:socrazy:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
This kid Jackson Lebsack, lives with JOB's dad, has a way better vlog than Jaime! He's likeable and genuine.
Man i tried to watch because he does a good job with Jamies videos but he's pretty cring-ey.

I actually recently applied to be JOB's editor just to see If I could get it, what he's paying people/ accommodations, and what type of workload to expect and it was fun to fantasize about living at Pipe for a few minutes.

Reality smacked me square in the face when I found out all the info I was looking for.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Man i tried to watch because he does a good job with Jamies videos but he's pretty cring-ey.

I actually recently applied to be JOB's editor just to see If I could get it, what he's paying people/ accommodations, and what type of workload to expect and it was fun to fantasize about living at Pipe for a few minutes.

Reality smacked me square in the face when I found out all the info I was looking for.
He seems like a good filmer/editor and has a good appreciation for things. Also seems like he's getting paid $12/hr plus a room at Jamie O'brien's dad's house.

JOB has four filmers on his payroll, two beach guys, a water guy, and a drone guy. They can't all be dream jobs...

Reactions: CutnSnip

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If he really is getting room and board then he's set. Probably has more expendable income than most people in Hawaii. lol.
That's all it would take to get me to watch pro surfers and play with my laptop all day! And be around those cute @ss Hawaiian girls...
Cutnsnip must want to have a family or own stuff or something :LOL:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
That's all it would take to get me to watch pro surfers and play with my laptop all day! And be around those cute @ss Hawaiian girls...
Cutnsnip must want to have a family or own stuff or something :LOL:
honestly, thats what it came down to for me - if I could get a room nearby with my rent taken care of - I would've done it no problemo.

Thats the only way I could justify the salary because honestly the workload wasnt bad for the monthly salary but def not enough to get a place, and live stress free in Hawaii with the bills and whatnot I already have.

:edit - and jackson is a good filmer/ editor.. Jamie hit the jackpot ith him for sure.

Reactions: stringcheese

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
YouTuber Shelby Church states the average payout for videos getting 1M views is around $2,000. Caveat is that payouts vary widely depending on many things.

This Is How Much YouTube Paid Me For My 1,000,000 Viewed Video (Shelby Church)
yea these videos are all over the map with how much people get and when/why. saw one dude who doesnt even break a million views talking about real estate say he makes about 10 g's a month of his videos because of ads.

Reactions: sponge

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
They dont make as much as I thought, plus they have overhead like every other business.

Reactions: sponge

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Which advertisements your channel shows must factor in. Professional golfers and professional fighters both get paid by sponsors buuut