Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Its the wood stringer that can warp and twist I think. Probably less of a problem with a ply stringer like apple core but thats just a guess.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I heard somewhere (probably on here) that Varial uses a rocker bed when vaccum bagging their infused glass boards for rocker consistency.

XTR's practices are more like a standard glass shop.
I don’t know nothing about nothing. I’m still only 97% sure I know how fin cant works. but I’m generally a lot less worried about what happens to the blank when xtr/Varial get it back than what Lost has done with it for 10 weeks.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don’t know nothing about nothing. I’m still only 97% sure I know how fin cant works. but I’m generally a lot less worried about what happens to the blank when xtr/Varial get it back than what Lost has done with it for 10 weeks.
I know things are getting tougher
When Italo and Stab didn't order FCS2 but they get it
The clearly marked spec that said Futures now
Looking fucking twisted!

All I know is that I don't know
All I know is that I don't know nothing
All I know is that I don't know nothing!

We get told to pick a build
Comes back poly. Wrong finboxes
As if I had changed my mind!

All I know is that I don't know nothing
All I know is that I don't know nothing!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Does Lost actually touch Varial blanks? I thought they did everything in house.

XTR’s are shaped by the brands though.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
i asked Varial way back in 21’ and at that time Lost finished them before glassing. But things could have changed

Reactions: JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

shapers do it if contracted as such, in house otherwise, which I think is similar to xtr.

Varial does the cut, drop off to shapers to do the scrub, Varial gets it back to do the Infused glass. This is assuming you order direct through varial.

I believe they are also happy to sell folks blanks and let them take it from there as well.

I want to say varial also sits on doing the cuts until in the pipeline to be shaped. I forget whar I was told specifically but I basically was asking how long could I flux with my dims before they became final.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Matt Parker, when I was looking at dims for an order through Varila says he doesn't touch those, just a licence agreement through them. What's strange is when varial just screwed up my lost order and then offered to redo, they said 10 weeks due to MB's schedule.
I think if you order direct through the brands your blank gets touched by actual shaper or in house brand shaper, Like Italos SITD blade.

Reactions: JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Matt Parker, when I was looking at dims for an order through Varila says he doesn't touch those, just a licence agreement through them. What's strange is when varial just screwed up my lost order and then offered to redo, they said 10 weeks due to MB's schedule.
I think if you order direct through the brands your blank gets touched by actual shaper or in house brand shaper, Like Italos SITD blade.
something changed w/ Varial albums then.

maybe when they switched to that lam for dims instead of pencil with a scribble.

mine was done by album, confirmed by Varial. This was a pencil scribble dims and signature. My 2 newer albums have the lam.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
something changed w/ Varial albums then.

maybe when they switched to that lam for dims instead of pencil with a scribble.

mine was done by album, confirmed by Varial. This was a pencil scribble dims and signature. My 2 newer albums have the lam.
Only if you order Varial through Album then Matt shapes the blank, I think.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

It’s believable that Lost shapes the XTR because of location. It’s obviously less believable that Matt is doing them himself although Javier told me a few years ago that Matt still does most custom orders but not stock boards.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Only if you order Varial through Album then Matt shapes the blank, I think.
I believe this is correct. I ordered a Varial Plasmic via Matt back in March and I inquired to it’s progress after about 10 weeks. The guys at Album told me “The Blank has been received and it is in line to be shaped.” I received the board about 2.5 weeks after that email.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If they're stoke models, I bet Varial does them in house.

For full customs, I know Matt shapes and ships to Varial for glassing.

For those in-between orders of stoke models with custom tweaks, I bet Matt does them on CAD and sends the file to Varial to be cut, scrubbed, and glassed.

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
How are you guys sizing your RNF 96s? I am looking at one that is 5’10 stock dims in lite speed.

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Thanks! I’m 5’9 and 170 almost 50 years old. That 5’10 maybe a little on the big side for me. But most of my short boards come in around the same volume as that 5’10 RNF 96

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Lost seems to have disappeared from varial’s website?? Guess a new RNF96 V isn’t happening at their next sale