Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

Oct 25, 2019
What do you guys think about a RNF 96 for biggerish, softer, very imperfect beach break,

I have plenty of shortboars for when the surf is actually good, but it usually really isn’t. Looking for a crutch for days when the shortboards just don’t paddle enough, or get in/over the burgery bits.

I thought this 6’8” mid strength would be the ticket, and it sure paddles and catches waves well, it just doesn’t seem to really do the surfing part that well for me. Too much board probably.

So, can an appropriately sized RNF 96 paddle and glide enough on lumpy slopey head high (+?) faces?

Reactions: paunch23
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
What do you guys think about a RNF 96 for biggerish, softer, very imperfect beach break,

I have plenty of shortboars for when the surf is actually good, but it usually really isn’t. Looking for a crutch for days when the shortboards just don’t paddle enough, or get in/over the burgery bits.

I thought this 6’8” mid strength would be the ticket, and it sure paddles and catches waves well, it just doesn’t seem to really do the surfing part that well for me. Too much board probably.

So, can an appropriately sized RNF 96 paddle and glide enough on lumpy slopey head high (+?) faces?
Ive only surfed my thruster version so far, but the shape is the same. I think it would surf that kind of wave well, but it wont be much of a crutch in terms of paddle power. I find myself missing more waves, and my back being more sore after I surf mine.

Oct 25, 2019
Ive only surfed my thruster version so far, but the shape is the same. I think it would surf that kind of wave well, but it wont be much of a crutch in terms of paddle power. I find myself missing more waves, and my back being more sore after I surf mine.
Compared to your short board? At similar volume?

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Compared to your short board? At similar volume?
In fairness I dont ride a standard shortboard all that much. But yes I would say slightly worse paddling than a standard shortboard. Its pretty short, wide, and has a fair amount of nose flip/rocker. All those things make paddling harder for me.

Maybe others can chime in to see if they agree or not.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
comes off as the type of shape that you can add more volume (chonk) under chest but not length.

those tend to hurt my back the most as I try to unweight the tail for sake of trim when paddling.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
In fairness I dont ride a standard shortboard all that much. But yes I would say slightly worse paddling than a standard shortboard. Its pretty short, wide, and has a fair amount of nose flip/rocker. All those things make paddling harder for me.

Maybe others can chime in to see if they agree or not.
Never any issues catching waves. Used to get back pain sometimes. Always assumed it was from paddling while riding it as a twin.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
not a …lost bro. But can confirm that shorter stubbier boars in general are not easy on your back if you are prone (pun intended) to back / shoulder issues. Adding some length seems to help a bit. I bottomed out at 5’5-5’6. Now pretty much on 5’9-5’11 boars and feel much better paddling. YMMV

Oct 25, 2019
I have a 5’5” local custom quad fishy thing that’s great in smaller stuff, and can’t say that my neck or shoulders hurt anymore than they usually do after a big session.

My Ego is often in great distress but that happens with most shapes.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I dont think a short, thick, narrow, flat rocker board would hurt my back. Its the amount of entry rocker fit into a small wide package that makes my paddle stroke wider, and my back more arched. thats my experience anyway. Im 6'1 190lb on a 5'8 for reference. YMMV.

I think my RNF will come out when there is some punch, not when its mushy.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I tried the CF panda keels in the RNF today, not that great. It felt like too much base and not enough depth. It was hard to get the board in the pocket.

I just ordered the BMTs to try out per claw87's recommendation. I think those will go good in my stamps sparkbox and rusty twin too. Im hoping the FCS boxes can handle such a large fin.

Reactions: claw87 and sdsrfr

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I tried the CF panda keels in the RNF today, not that great. It felt like too much base and not enough depth. It was hard to get the board in the pocket.

I just ordered the BMTs to try out per claw87's recommendation. I think those will go good in my stamps sparkbox and rusty twin too. Im hoping the FCS boxes can handle such a large fin.
I've been riding BMT's in my 5'6 Stamps Kai-Zen without an issue and love them in that board. It's Varial foam and glassed with epoxy, so the denser foam may help. I'm 6' 170ish.

I swapped borts with a buddy and rolled the Futures box with BMT's on the third wave riding his 5'7 CI Twin Pin (poly). Not too stocked paying for the repair when he asked to try mine, but I'd expect the same.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I've been riding BMT's in my 5'6 Stamps Kai-Zen without an issue and love them in that board. It's Varial foam and glassed with epoxy, so the denser foam may help. I'm 6' 170ish.

I swapped borts with a buddy and rolled the Futures box with BMT's on the third wave riding his 5'7 CI Twin Pin (poly). Not too stocked paying for the repair when he asked to try mine, but I'd expect the same.
bummer... I ordered them in FCS. maybe this will be a test of FCS vs futures strength.. or ill just reserve the BMTs for the varial stamps.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
best fins for the RNF96 in a futures 2+1 setup?
mostly running mine as a pure twin with BMTs these days, but when I was on a trip last summer I landed on the Aipas with a small Pacific Vibrations trailer as my favorite:
2F909D02-8A18-41A8-8884-459F6085D7A0.jpeg

Rasta twin+trailer set goes good in softer waves too

Have tried the Captain Fin Elmores, but they feel like too much fin with a trailer

Reactions: cjs2002