Long fish - but shorter?

May 20, 2020
So I'm ready to place an order but would like the collective ERbb's opinion. For beach break - album moonstone or Christenson long phish? going 6'4. Any input will be much appreciated.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
So I'm ready to place an order but would like the collective ERbb's opinion. For beach break - album moonstone or Christenson long phish? going 6'4. Any input will be much appreciated.
If you go cc, ask whoever you do the order with for the new version. It’s not on his website but they are making them, He took out the beak and bladed the rails more. Will help with your beach break focus.

May 20, 2020
If you go cc, ask whoever you do the order with for the new version. It’s not on his website but they are making them, He took out the beak and bladed the rails more. Will help with your beach break focus.
thank you!

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
They are pretty different boards. I'd pick the moonstone out of those 2 any day at a bb. The nautilus, new long phish, or wolverine sounds like a better bet to me if you want to stick with the CC line. The OG long phish is probably a ton of fun at a point or a softer lined up reef

Reactions: surfbum00

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Stretched lane splitter swallow or a shorter wolverine.

the answer you didn’t ask for but is worth investigating. i have a 6’3 moonie and 5’10 LS fwiw.

Reactions: 302PD
May 20, 2020
A longer lane splitter swallow is a great idea. I was looking to keep get that fishy drivey feeling tho and I don’t think either the LS or the Wolverine have that feeling. Having a 6’3 moo is and you wouldn’t suggest one for what I’m looking for?

Reactions: trifish

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
A longer lane splitter swallow is a great idea. I was looking to keep get that fishy drivey feeling tho and I don’t think either the LS or the Wolverine have that feeling. Having a 6’3 moo is and you wouldn’t suggest one for what I’m looking for?
i don't love a forward foam foil in a beach break.

moonie has quite the beak. same reason i didn't like the lightbender in a BB, balance is off, imo.

LS has a ton of foam under chest but it thins out considerably as it transitions under your chin, while the moonie stays thick, if that makes sense. I expect I'd like my moonie more if not for the beak.

my LS is 5'10x20x2.5 and my Moonie is 6'3x19.75x2.44, neither is OTR dims.

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think most would say they don't think "fish", when talking beach breaks. Plenty of other boards out there that fit much better in a hollower wave face while also being easier to duckdive. I've had great sessions at some, but really depends on the wave/conditions. Curious, what are you riding now?

Reactions: sdsrfr
May 20, 2020
Thank you all for the advice and feedback.

@trifish - I ride a 5’10 cc fish most of the time. Looking for something longer to help get in earlier in the bigger steeper days. Just can’t get off my fish and want something that transitions well for me on the bigger days.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
seems like a LS swallow or Wolverine would be a great transition for bigger waves if you can't get off your CC Fish

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Seems like it is hit or miss for some folks, but maybe add the Nautilus to your list as well? Also, the Osprey comes in a variety o fin setups and could be another good option.

Reactions: sdsrfr

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Thank you all for the advice and feedback.

@trifish - I ride a 5’10 cc fish most of the time. Looking for something longer to help get in earlier in the bigger steeper days. Just can’t get off my fish and want something that transitions well for me on the bigger days.
If your currently on a cc fish and really liking it at your break, than I think your on the right track and another cc seems like a no brainer. I'm sure he can put you on the right model.

@billypilgrim
Didn't you have a cafe racer at one point or am I thinking of somebody else? I've always been a little intrigued by that one.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Seems like it is hit or miss for some folks, but maybe add the Nautilus to your list as well? Also, the Osprey comes in a variety o fin setups and could be another good option.
+1, worth a look.

Lane Splitter, Nautilus and Wolverine are all same rocker according to CC.

Reactions: urchined

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
If your currently on a cc fish and really liking it at your break, than I think your on the right track and another cc seems like a no brainer. I'm sure he can put you on the right model.

@billypilgrim
Didn't you have a cafe racer at one point or am I thinking of somebody else? I've always been a little intrigued by that one.
I do. It is an awesome board for the larger waves I ride in Central Florida and is a natural step up from a fish. I have a fishy quiver that ranges from 5'5" Twin Keel, 5'7" quad fish and the 5'10" Cafe Racer.

The Cafe Racer can handle some solid size in spite of its mellow rocker, both front side in backside, probably due to the down rails. It isn't the best option in dumpy waves where the bottom falls out, but otherwise it is a super versatile board. I've had mine for a while and rode it quite a bit when I lived in CA, surfed it a lot in the Northern Outer Banks, and have taken it to PR. I like taking it out on hurricane swells and bigger NE swells here in Florida.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I do. It is an awesome board for the larger waves I ride in Central Florida and is a natural step up from a fish. I have a fishy quiver that ranges from 5'5" Twin Keel, 5'7" quad fish and the 5'10" Cafe Racer.

The Cafe Racer can handle some solid size in spite of its mellow rocker, both front side in backside, probably due to the down rails. It isn't the best option in dumpy waves where the bottom falls out, but otherwise it is a super versatile board. I've had mine for a while and rode it quite a bit when I lived in CA, surfed it a lot in the Northern Outer Banks, and have taken it to PR. I like taking it out on hurricane swells and bigger NE swells here in Florida.
I had a 6’0 cafe racer for a minute. Didn’t click with it and flipped it after a couple underwhelming sessions with too many blown waves. I was riding TKF a lot then, and had high hopes for it. Maybe archer not arrow, but it felt like it bogged on steeper sections when I wanted to crank a big tum. I don’t know if it was those rails or the rocker, or a lil longer rail line but it just didn’t do what I wanted it to. YMMV

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
I've been through a lot of fish and this is a current fav.
6'8 x 21 x 2 5/8 tapered rails with a good tucked edge running from tail to 2/3rds up towards the nose. LOTS of nose rocker and low to medium tail rocker. Single concave the whole bottom.
Quad set up
Friend shaped it locally, based off another friend's pavel.
This thing surfs so well from waist to Almost double oh with the sweet spot somewhere in between.
Playing with different fins= totally different boards in one platform.
Point is @Maz , deviate just a bit from the true san diego style flatter rockered short fish, by adding length, then also add outline curve, rocker and bottom contours and that's the ticket if wanting something beyond a cruiser.
Nice sled Mike. Looks Lis-like.

Reactions: money4coffeeman