Long fish - but shorter?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
View attachment 172549Here you go Maz. The bottom constantly transitions. Feels aggressive by hand. Tail is fairly flat transitioning to concave V in the middle to some v to flat in the nose. A lot of nose rocker for a fish dna board.
This seems to have some speed dialer DNA in the bottom contours. Rolled/V in the nose, double concave inside the V in the middle transitioning to a single concave (or in this case flat) through the tail. The double in the middle on yours is more pronounced than what's on my Zamora X-Dialer. I've always like boards with double concave in the middle for some reason.....

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think these outlines start to get weird when too wide from stonk.
Sakal's working on one for me I should get soon. He knows the normal tkf I like from him & the dims for that one. I didn't give him any details on the new one, so looking forward to seeing where he goes with me saying "make me a longer fish that isn't too long w/ futures boxes placed for cc's that I can use most days if I wanted".

When I got my first moonie a few years back, Matt suggested 6'2" x 20.5 x 2.5 to squash it down shorter. I think I told him I was on a 5'6" x 21 at the time. When XTR told me that was 37L of volume I freaked out some and changed it to 6'2" x 20 x 2.44 to bring it to 35L (I normally ride around 33). That ended up working great for me as a dd and I have no problem using it on smaller or bigger days. In @tedshred5 case, 6'4 x 20 x 2.56 sounds great to me. I'd probably just reduce thickness to shave off some overall volume unless that doesn't bother you.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Sakal's working on one for me I should get soon. He knows the normal tkf I like from him & the dims for that one. I didn't give him any details on the new one, so looking forward to seeing where he goes with me saying "make me a longer fish that isn't too long w/ futures boxes placed for cc's that I can use most days if I wanted".

When I got my first moonie a few years back, Matt suggested 6'2" x 20.5 x 2.5 to squash it down shorter. I think I told him I was on a 5'6" x 21 at the time. When XTR told me that was 37L of volume I freaked out some and changed it to 6'2" x 20 x 2.44 to bring it to 35L (I normally ride around 33). That ended up working great for me as a dd and I have no problem using it on smaller or bigger days. In @tedshred5 case, 6'4 x 20 x 2.56 sounds great to me. I'd probably just reduce thickness to shave off some overall volume unless that doesn't bother you.
Mine is 6’3 x 19.75 x 2.44

imo, I think I’d rather have the thickness than add curve to the outline. If I did it again I’d have kept it at 6’3x19.5x2.56 or something, which is what Matt actually recommended when I discussed with him.

the files across builders (xtr, Varial, he) seems to vary so maybe it’s how varial edited my file.

stock appears to have much more parallel rails.

Reactions: trifish

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

yeah I had a stonk 6'6 Moonie that I sold, I think it would've covered more range for me if it were 2-4" shorter, wider, and slightly thinner

I liked CC keels the most in mine too

I wonder how a Sakal Sabre compares to the roundpin channeled version of the Moonie

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I wonder how a Sakal Sabre compares to the roundpin channeled version of the Moonie
I'd guess a pintail moonie would have more control, maneuverability overall, while needing more push to get going. The sabre has a pretty wide tail and low tail rocker. Its fast and felt more skatey compared to other boards I had at that size. I liked it best on lined up waves that I could just keep it pointed down the line more. Never got a great feel for redirecting it but the board was probably just too big for me. Channels on it looked amazing and it caught waves easily.

1708713762437.jpeg