Long fish - but shorter?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Great topic! I have been thinking the same for so long now but hesitate to custom order as you just don't see that many "fish" out there from 6'2-6'6. I love the speed of the twin but getting older, wearing a 5/4 and trying to compete in the crowded lineups on a 5'8 isn't getting it done for me. I'm thinking 6'4-6'6. I'd love to get a CC in that range but it seems like Album is pushing into that area more.
After handling different ones, I'd put the moonstone closer to the nautilus than his long phish. There is a good amount of performance. Mines not stiff feeling, but it also has a single to double where a lot of guys run a single like more traditional fish boards (Long phish has a single). Since the 6'2" moon was working welI I decided to try a 6'8". I had some fun sessions on it, but really felt like a different board and had to surf it differently compared to my shorter one. More cruisy at that size but really too long for my taste at my height (5'9").

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
My 6'2" x 19" x 2.44" Sun Moon has been up on CL and Offerup for some time. It'll be a great board for some, but it's definitely in a twilight zone for me. Doesn't offer any improvements over my 6'7" Townsend, and not enough rocker to fit into waves in smaller conditions. Could be fun as hell in bigger surf on some larger reefs tho, i'm just never going to reach for it.

I bet a bigger guy could make it work in more conditions, but not hobbit me.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
My 6'2" x 19" x 2.44" Sun Moon has been up on CL and Offerup for some time. It'll be a great board for some, but it's definitely in a twilight zone for me. Doesn't offer any improvements over my 6'7" Townsend, and not enough rocker to fit into waves in smaller conditions. Could be fun as hell in bigger surf on some larger reefs tho, i'm just never going to reach for it.

I bet a bigger guy could make it work in more conditions, but not hobbit me.
I remember seeing that one. Probably a fun board for somebody. I didn't get the naming of it. Seemed like more rocker than both, different shape, different wide point..etc.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I remember seeing that one. Probably a fun board for somebody. I didn't get the naming of it. Seemed like more rocker than both, different shape, different wide point..etc.
Hmmm... Wouldn't be too hard to measure 'em.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Rode a friend’s old 6’ Mandala double bump quad fish in OH softer, slower
lined up beach break. Pretty fun and a good call for those type of conditions.
it still held it’s own as the tide dropped and waves started shaping up. I think
the reduced tail area with quads is the way to go if you’re looking for more high
end shreds. Can’t say I’m a fan of keels in most situations.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
At 50 now and 6' x 190lbs, I don't see myself riding anything under 5'11" and at that size fish or fishey shapes. Midlength trend and video footy riding them has opened my eyes again to more foam and longer rail lines. My standard SB's used to be 6'0"-6'6"s. It wasn't until my very late 30's and ealry 40's that I dipped below 6' with fishes and alt stubbies.

Last edited:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
stil looking for a pic of that "long fish" a now-passed poster had for awhile. 6'6 steve seebold quad....thing was just an absolute shat kicker. more of a fuller shortboard template w/wider tail than long fish...but who the hell cares what it was called or categorized...the thing just FLEW and could turn with all that good railness

Reactions: Maz and lofatkilla

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Where are we at on this topic, some 6 months later?

I recently surfed a bit with a guy who had a self shaped 6-0 quad fish and he was really surfing well on it. The board had a low rocker and he rode it from a pretty rearward stance. He wasn't trying to hit the lip or anything too radical but he was taking off deep and flowing through open faced swoops and carves with skill and style. The outline was a little narrower up front than some fish but the tail width seemed fairly normal. No dims on the board but it felt like around 21 wide under arm. Beak nose. Thin foil. The guy himself was about 6 feet tall and he was 62 years old.

My favorite fish was the Stamps Banjo fish so I'm mostly likely going to have Stamps make me something but I'm open to other options. Just trying to have a clear picture in my head before I send him an email. His Banana Fish sounds like a promising starting point.

I'm 6'3" so the idea of getting a real fish at my own height is a little wild but maybe 6-0 or 6-1...

I got a 6-0 Lost Swordfish used last year and it didn't quite click for me. Too chonky, I think. Or maybe just not fishy enough. It didn't really have that instant speed that I was expecting. I should give it another go....

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I've been through a lot of fish and this is a current fav.
6'8 x 21 x 2 5/8 tapered rails with a good tucked edge running from tail to 2/3rds up towards the nose. LOTS of nose rocker and low to medium tail rocker. Single concave the whole bottom.
Quad set up
Friend shaped it locally, based off another friend's pavel.
This thing surfs so well from waist to Almost double oh with the sweet spot somewhere in between.
Playing with different fins= totally different boards in one platform.
Point is @Maz , deviate just a bit from the true san diego style flatter rockered short fish, by adding length, then also add outline curve, rocker and bottom contours and that's the ticket if wanting something beyond a cruiser.

Attachments

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Aruka, I had the same experience on Thursday, but it was a young bloke. Very nice style, and never forcing anything, but he made longboard waves look really good.

CC has now come out with the Long Phish 2, and I have asked them what the updates are. No news yet.

I could really see myself on a 6'3 or 6'4, after great success with the much more 'racy' Wolverine.

The search goes on...

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
It's not an Astro Pop.
Yah maz i love my astro twin too. I run the same cc twin as you. And ive had great sessions with the cc keels (captain fins from the same collection as the upright twins) on some open canvas too. special design.
Ive been also thinking of getting an astro twin 6’2-6’5. I think its a great shape to do that, a lil narrower and maybe thinner than my 5’5.
6’3” 20” 2.5” at 36l would go amazing im guessing.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Aruka, I had the same experience on Thursday, but it was a young bloke. Very nice style, and never forcing anything, but he made longboard waves look really good.

CC has now come out with the Long Phish 2, and I have asked them what the updates are. No news yet.

I could really see myself on a 6'3 or 6'4, after great success with the much more 'racy' Wolverine.

The search goes on...

I’ve been trying out the new long phish. Didn’t know he announced it yet. It’s super different than the old model. No beak. Almost performance type front 1/4 of the board with the back 3/4 being more tradtional. Lots going on with bottom contours. Mine is 7’0 which feels way too big for my my taste. I think your 6’3-6’6 range would be much better. He told me to surf it really aggressive which i can’t really do with the length plus the keels plus the wide tail.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Any pics, @urchined ?

Curious about the bottom contours. Afaik, the old one was single out the like the CC Fish. Is the new one more like the Nautilus/Wolverine/Lane Splitter, i.e. soft vee, flat, spiral vee?

Last edited:

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I’ll take some pics today and I’ll flat edge the bottom. He went through the entire bottom design with me a few weeks back but I dont remember honestly. He moved out of moonlight and he is openning a new show room with a shaping bay in Carlsbad. So I was more checking all that out then listening to him. I only remember thinking -fuk that is a lot going on for that type of board. Horrible report-I know.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858 and Maz

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yah maz i love my astro twin too. I run the same cc twin as you. And ive had great sessions with the cc keels (captain fins from the same collection as the upright twins) on some open canvas too. special design.
Ive been also thinking of getting an astro twin 6’2-6’5. I think its a great shape to do that, a lil narrower and maybe thinner than my 5’5.
6’3” 20” 2.5” at 36l would go amazing im guessing.
stretched out AstroTwin could be interesting. I assume these longfishes have to tweak the rocker from the small TKFs as well.
I’ve also toyed with the idea tweaking the Wildcat twin to improve low end (though I’ve never ridden one, it looks like it wants a better wave with more push). I remember being intrigued by the Midlenght Crisis someone got as a twin (maybe in Bali?) as well.
edit: Maybe I could get down with some Pyzel mashup of Astro Twin x Wildcat x MLC twin, around 6'6

Last edited: