Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

Mar 2, 2019
FWIW: I’ve spoken with many erBB approved shapers and FW has come up. Not a single shaper bad mouthed the shapes, construction or business practices, and none blamed FW for plight of brands or shapers that are struggling. And none saw the brand as a threat to their business. YMMV
This whole discussion is akin to prostitution. Why knock/bust the ho's? They're just selling product....

Greg Knoll once said something like, "real surfers don't buy surf clothes..." and I would add, "at least until they're 50% off!"

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This whole discussion is akin to prostitution. Why knock/bust the ho's? They're just selling product....

Greg Knoll once said something like, "real surfers don't buy surf clothes..." and I would add, "at least until they're 50% off!"
I don’t have any “surf” clothes. I have wetsuits and trunks.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Yup.

Like I said, it’s not to go local when local is world class. The board builders around here…

Kelly should have bought CI.

Greedy.
First fact is "Kelly" has never actually bought anything. It's a small equity group that brought him in to use his name and spin any acquisition as being Kelly's. And they did approach CI first. CI declined.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
First fact is "Kelly" has never actually bought anything. It's a small equity group that brought him in to use his name and spin any acquisition as being Kelly's. And they did approach CI first. CI declined.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I had heard basically that before. What I heard was that ”they” didn’t offer enough money. Don’t know if that‘s true, don’t care and you don’t have to answer.

BTW I’m happy you guys bought it back from Burton (I don’t know if you personally went in on it and don’t feel like I have to know either).

Reactions: Havoc

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Name dropping Kelly to secure acquisition, great trick. FireWire is apparently both underhanded and generally stupid.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up.

I had heard basically that before. What I heard was that ”they” didn’t offer enough money. Don’t know if that‘s true, don’t care and you don’t have to answer.

BTW I’m happy you guys bought it back from Burton (I don’t know if you personally went in on it and don’t feel like I have to know either).
Thanks for the kind words. Yep, proud to be 2nd largest shareholder, Britt Merrick being the first.
16 other team and employees make up the whole group.

I'll share some of the story, I think it's telling.

So after these guys make their venture capital pitch, and ask to name a price, I get ahold of Jake (Burton) about his thoughts. He says I'll need to come out to Vermont to talk this one through.

Next on the plane, to Burlington, and into Jake's office.
I don't recall him ever even having a proper desk, but there were plenty couches and coffee tables.

After some brief small talk, he looks me square in the eye...

"So you want to be sold?"

I pause 5 seconds "No."

"Meetings over then." Jake states, a Don Julio 1941 bottle appears from under the table. "Let's drink"

1941 were the only numbers used in the negotiation.

Jul 25, 2020
Left high and dry by BASE, everyone heard of BASE? Its collapse was big news here. An enterprise with a business model that seemed to make complete sense - put a handful of legendary and up and coming shapers under one logistics umbrella, giving them an economy of scale that could purchase materials in bulk allowing to compete with overseas mass production.
I remember BASE in Torquay. I worked in Melbourne for 4 years from 2005-2009. After the airlines completely destroyed one of my boards I bought a few boards from BASE off the rack. This is unusual for me since I typically order custom or make my own.

I had never seen anything like BASE - hundreds and hundreds of boards to fondle. And they moved them through pretty fast so there was always fresh stock moving through. I still have a couple of Dahlbergs and a Simon Anderson I got at BASE which go real good.

As I recall they closed shop sometime in 2011, right? I think I bought my last SA for my youngest son in 2010. It's actually am overseas epoxy but it is bulletproof and he still rides it occasionally.

Nothing like that in NW USA, so I'm back to customs - usually from CA shapers.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site

• I remember BASE in Torquay. I worked in Melbourne for 4 years from 2005-2009. After the airlines completely destroyed one of my boards I bought a few boards from BASE off the rack. This is unusual for me since I typically order custom or make my own.

I had never seen anything like BASE - hundreds and hundreds of boards to fondle. And they moved them through pretty fast so there was always fresh stock moving through. I still have a couple of Dahlbergs and a Simon Anderson I got at BASE which go real good.

As I recall they closed shop sometime in 2011, right? I think I bought my last SA for my youngest son in 2010. It's actually am overseas epoxy but it is bulletproof and he still rides it occasionally.

Nothing like that in NW USA, so I'm back to customs - usually from CA shapers.
    ive talked Murray Bourton about base and they were super innovative when they were around. One of the first to offer diagonal glassing as a standard option and carbon tail strips. The manufacturing was great and the scale was perfect too.He said business people who didnt understand surfing ran it into the ground

Reactions: Mr J

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I panic bought a used BASE Simon Anderson 6'6 SXE2 off C-list over a decade ago. It was dirt cheap ($120 or something) and looked to be in really good shape in the ad's picture.

I had broken my step up. My new one was a week out and there was a solid swell that looked like it'd be amazing at a local lefthander for the next day or two.

When I went to check the board out the night before the swell and I was pretty shocked. I had never seen a board so twisted in my life. It was either give the thing a go or be relegated to catching in-betweeners (plus, probably getting cleaned-up a lot) on my 6'0. I ended up getting some of the best local barrels I've ever gotten on that board so it was worth the price paid. I would have never been able to get into the DOH+ sets on any of my shortboards at the time.

I ended up giving it away to a local grom. It was not worth trying to sell as I'm too honest and would have pointed out the twist if someone didn't notice it. I only rode it twice and never went right on it, so I'll never know if it would have been a complete dog on my backhand.

Reactions: santacruzin

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for the kind words. Yep, proud to be 2nd largest shareholder, Britt Merrick being the first.

So after these guys make their venture capital pitch, and ask to name a price, I get ahold of Jake (Burton) about his thoughts. He says I'll need to come out to Vermont to talk this one through.

I don't recall him ever even having a proper desk, but there were plenty couches and coffee tables.

I pause 5 seconds "No."

"Meetings over then." Jake states, a Don Julio 1941 bottle appears from under the table. "Let's drink"

That's EPIC!!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I pause 5 seconds "No."

Haha. Beautiful.

I know a few of the “team and other employees“.

I wish I would have known about it before it went down. I would have been stoked to invest in CI.

May your risk be rewarded!!!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I had a board from a well respected shaper that had a significant twist and it was one of the best boards I've ever owned.
Best board I’ve ever had was an OG CI Pod that was slightly off center. The stringer was very slightly diagonal to the nose and tail. I’ve had a few pods since, all good boards, but none had that do no wrong magic of the crooked one.

Reactions: ChaseTMP