Leash strings

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This. If you're buying individual "purpose built" ding strings, you should probably quit. Golf is nice I hear. :dancing:

I might be exaggerating a touch, but holy sh!t. Patch a ding, cut your own string (and melt the ends genius) and pretend you're a real surfer. ;)
CI always gives me a CI string when I buy a board or a leash so I have a ton of them. Before they started making those I’d just use whatever string I could find around the house.

Rasta should market some vegan organic fair trade shade grown recycled hemp strings.

Cha-Ching!$$$$

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
really?

i break a couple per year. usually near the stand-off at either end but sometimes out in the middle of the cord.
I have a DaKine comp leash I've been using since around 2011 (the old comps seem a bit thicker), and a regular DaKine leash that is from around 2008 that I still use in a pinch.

The regular one is quite yellow and has done innumerable sessions at OH Blacks, the comp has been around the world a few times in surf less than head high. Both have seen a few trips to the North Shore too. The last leash I had snap was 4 or 5 years ago that broke at the swivel in waist high surf.

As you know I surf a lot , probably double the average person but the above two have been in the rotation forever. I just keep tightening that allen bolt when they start to pop out.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have a DaKine comp leash I've been using since around 2011 (the old comps seem a bit thicker), and a regular DaKine leash that is from around 2008 that I still use in a pinch.

The regular one is quite yellow and has done innumerable sessions at OH Blacks, the comp has been around the world a few times in surf less than head high. Both have seen a few trips to the North Shore too. The last leash I had snap was 4 or 5 years ago that broke at the swivel in waist high surf.

As you know I surf a lot , probably double the average person but the above two have been in the rotation forever. I just keep tightening that allen bolt when they start to pop out.
+1 and before I give suit fresh h20 bath I rinse leash as well.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

One comp leash (and one seldom used normal leash) cook in my car 24/7. Another comp leash sits on the balcony at the top of the stairs and gets grabbed when I walk up the street, unless it's small and empty. That one cooks in the sun for part of the afternoon in the warmer months.

I think that's why I snap a comp every 8-12 months. Generally on the cord, although some brands I've had break at the cuff. I think it was OAM back in the 00s I broke multiple of those in one day at like barely chest high St. Augustine Pier. OAM leashes have since been blacklisted. I like the Dakine, but for some reason, mostly see Creatures lately.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
This fooking thread. lol Now I'm going out to reconfigure a leash string.

My new Dakine leash came with the melted rubber section so you dont have to tie a knot. Problem is, it doesen't make any sense to put the rubber slab against the leash plug / deck, and running it inside the rail saver I've had more hang ups / tangles in a handful of sessions with this leash that I have any other.

Going to try a standard leash string in place of this new thing and see if it improves.