Leash strings

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
We have all sorts of stupid surf related threads but this one may take the cake!

realized when I sell a board, I always check the leash string and sometimes swap it out if it’s one of those branded ones that come with traction pads. If it’s just regular paracord, it stays on the board for the sale.

when buying a board used, I’ll almost always end up swapping out the leash string before the first surf. at the very least I check the knot and adjust bc the rail saver most often isn’t doing chit.

more often than not the string going onto the board I’m selling is one that came off a board I bought but didn’t trust.

kinda weird to think about leash strings, I know, but it’s a slow day at work and waves are chit.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
kinda weird to think about leash strings, I know, but it’s a slow day at work and waves are chit.
Most people only think about them when they screw them over one way or another. Better to be proactive. I recently had to explain to a buddy how a rail saver works and how his string was too long.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Shet you might have topped my wax thread. I might need to start one about grub screws now to reclaim the crown.

Also I tried a shoelace once in a bind. It gave me a lot of time to reflect on that decision while I was swimming back to shore at OB. The waves helped give me a gentle thrashing to help nudge me in the right direction at certain checkpoints. Board survived at least.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Reactions: sdsrfr

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Leashes don't usually break at the attachment rope / string though, do they? Most people on here say they usually snap at the urethane molded connection.

Reactions: GromsDad

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Leashes don't usually break at the attachment rope / string though, do they? Most people on here say they usually snap at the urethane molded connection.
I've snapped a number of strings. Otherwise, yeah all at the molded connection.

Reactions: trifish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’m awful at burning the cut ends of the paracord when I DIY. It’s never clean. Any tips? LOL. I feel like a car cigarette lighter would be perfect.

besides the big brands, I really wish all handshapers would provide leash strings MADE FOR THE BOAR!!

Last edited: