Leash strings

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
If you haven't watched that movie or it's been a while, check it out. I re-watched it recently. So stupid and good! (Hudsucker Proxy by the Cohen Brothers, btw)

Reactions: enframed and HSY

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This fooking thread. lol Now I'm going out to reconfigure a leash string.

My new Dakine leash came with the melted rubber section so you dont have to tie a knot. Problem is, it doesen't make any sense to put the rubber slab against the leash plug / deck, and running it inside the rail saver I've had more hang ups / tangles in a handful of sessions with this leash that I have any other.

Going to try a standard leash string in place of this new thing and see if it improves.

Can't you remove rubber band from rail saver and still loop and tuck in leash plug?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Can't you remove rubber band from rail saver and still loop and tuck in leash plug?
Here ya go. All DaKine's images of the new string make it look like the new rubber section does NOT go in the rail saver, which is how I originally had it. I suspect that it wasn't letting it spin and/or flop over as easily, hence the tangle ups I was having. But now flipping the rubber the other way, this is how it goes into the leash plug. Weird, but I'll try it out.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Since nobody has stepped up, here is my quiver of truly hand-knotted custom leash loops.
dims: 550 military-grade 7-strand paracord
Until you have used a custom loop for each plug, you don't know what I know.

The loops on the left are for high-performance boards w/ plugs close to the rail. The loops on the right are for big wave boards w/plugs further from the rail.

IMG_1523.jpeg

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Here ya go. All DaKine's images of the new string make it look like the new rubber section does NOT go in the rail saver, which is how I originally had it. I suspect that it wasn't letting it spin and/or flop over as easily, hence the tangle ups I was having. But now flipping the rubber the other way, this is how it goes into the leash plug. Weird, but I'll try it out.

LOL. This is why you use the jkb/maz method. Everything would have been fine if you just put the knotted rubber part into the leash velcro section. You want the leash string as small as possible to prevent it from dragging and ripping through your board, hence "rail saver". Here is very slow detailed video.

Reactions: enframed

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
LOL. This is why you use the jkb/maz method. Everything would have been fine if you just put the knotted rubber part into the leash velcro section. You want the leash string as small as possible to prevent it from dragging and ripping through your board, hence "rail saver". Here is very slow detailed video.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC

What a kook
Didn't use the fin key method

Sep 30, 2013
Aus
What about the Jeff Alexander custom made and glassed in leash plug?
String exits out the back, removes the need for a rail saver and gets less tombstoning when you're getting pumped on the inside - board pops right back.
He's a thinker..

Attachments

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Curious anyone has gone custom leash $50?

• Love
Reactions: sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Curious anyone has gone custom leash $50?
now we're cooking with gas

• Haha
Reactions: jkb