Leash recommendations

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Yeah, no kidding. I'm exaggerating for dramatic effect, but it wasn't a fun swim in the impact zone after a long spring-summer of flat surf, I certainly wasn't in peak paddling or holding-my-breath shape.
this is duffy u r speaking to. if u can't swim to catalina and back after ditching ur boar and breaking ur leash on a 3x oh day, u do not deserve to surf!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Been using DaKine for ages. It’s good products, started as a local brand and I know both the long time former and new sales reps.

Started using Veia for basically the same reasons

Heard the Pipe guys that aren’t sponsored use the FCS Helix leash the one that has the fiber running through. Say they rarely snap.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I still haven’t found a leash in my 40+ years of surfing that will reliably not get looped around my ankle or get stepped on/snag between my toes at least once a session if I’m catching a lot of waves. I’ve had ones that float, ones with little grommet floaty things, cheap ones, spendy ones, all different brands and thickness, hex ones (those f’ers hurt if you get your foot squeezed and go for a sleigh ride). I don’t wrap my leashes and I’m good about getting them straight when they’re new. I keep different ones on my main rotation of borts and they’re stored almost fully extended. I would pay a king’s ransom if I ever found one that never f^cked up a wave for me.
It’s not the leash.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
this is duffy u r speaking to. if u can't swim to catalina and back after ditching ur boar and breaking ur leash on a 3x oh day, u do not deserve to surf!
I just took him at his word. He said he wasn’t in shape enough to swim a football field in OH surf. If that’s the case he shouldn’t surf a football field size lineup in OH surf. Seems like a fairly pedestrian thing to say.

I’ve seen people getting axed trying to paddle their adult learner ass through some little insiders on a Mid and telling them maybe they should consider a different spot or maybe just enjoy watching from the beach. Nothing to do with twenty mile swims and maxed out Pipeline.

It’s amazing how many people in a lineup would be in serious trouble if their leash broke. I was surfing a boat spot once some years ago and we went and checked an offshore reef break. It was fairly large and the closest place to anchor safelyish was a long paddle. The usual anchor spot was getting washed out by random bomb sets. Getting to shore - if getting to the boat wasn’t possible - was even longer. The guy who owned the boat was an adult learner. Good shape, surfed ok - but….

He asked, “should we go for it?”

I asked, “if you lose your board can you swim back to the boat or to land?”

That was the end of that conversation. We didn’t surf that spot that day.

Turns out he was zagerating and he did survive so…

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

surfercross

OTF status
Oct 19, 2006
Dakine makes a terrible leash. Broke 2 in mexico in chest high waves. They were brand new leashes as well. Simply trash.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Did anyone mention Crow Haley? Made in 'Murica from what I gather.

Right now I have a 7' Da Kine big wave leash. The sales guy laughed and said the rail saver was bigger than his ankle strap. Thick, stays out of the way and I don't worry about it breaking. If it's small or at the beaches I usually don't wear a leash.
Stay Covered are also made in the USA.

Reactions: vanrysss

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It’s not the leash.
What is it then surf sensei? I obviously know how to orient the stand-off and can guarantee even if you personally equipped my bort with a leash and fastened it to my ankle, I could get the thing to loop around my leashed leg in a few underwater leg swooshes while waiting for a wave.

I can generally sense when there’s going to be an issue, but sometimes when I’m spinning to go on a wave at the last second there’s no time to tug on the leash and make sure there’s not going to be an issue.

I may have some sort of leash complication one out of 30 waves. It’s not a daily occurrence. Maybe leashes are engineered for regular-footers.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What is it then surf sensei? I obviously know how to orient the stand-off and can guarantee even if you personally equipped my bort with a leash and fastened it to my ankle, I could get the thing to loop around my leashed leg in a few underwater leg swooshes while waiting for a wave.

I can generally sense when there’s going to be an issue, but sometimes when I’m spinning to go on a wave at the last second there’s no time to tug on the leash and make sure there’s not going to be an issue.

I may have some sort of leash complication one out of 30 waves. It’s not a daily occurrence. Maybe leashes are engineered for regular-footers.
My leash gets tangled/stepped on/stuck between my toes, etc. once in a blue moon. Can’t remember the last time it happened. If it keeps happening to you then it’s something your doing.

What that is i don’t know. I never had the issue so never had to find a cause and a fix.

You’re goofy foot, try putting the leash on your left ankle… :shrug:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I find that if swivel is directly above heel I step on my leash more. When I put swivel end over the outside ankle bone not as much. Been wearing the shark banz cause of all the sightings this year so I always check if I fall and readjust.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and Chocki

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

when it happens to me, i blame the leash. typically its a 6 footer that probably needs replacing. cant remember it ever happening in bigger surf. which is good thing

Reactions: ChaseTMP