Leash recommendations

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Happy w/ Dakine. Several that are a couple years old. My only complaint is that the attachment side to the leash string has a lot of girth making the slippage into the loop a little tight.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I am currently using this leash I found on the beach :)

It is the FCS freedom leash. It is less flexible than normal FCS, maybe because of the black cord inside of it. The ankle attachment is great because of the grippy material on the inside so it doesn't slide around. In normal FCS leashes the best color is purple. I've had one of those for a long time and just recently the velcro gave in.

1703089457197.png

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I had a bad experience with Stay Covered a few years ago. The velcro sucked after a few months.

Decided to give them another try and am really liking the new one. Velcro problem fixed and I feel like I get fewer tangles. The leash material feels a little softer than your typical urethane cords.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
F-ck Creatures and their crap velcro. I’m not in shape enough to be swimming through a football field lineup on an OH day. Never again.
Pro-Lite or DaKine have always been solid for me.

Reactions: j_mac and bvendley

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I had a bad experience with Stay Covered a few years ago. The velcro sucked after a few months.

Decided to give them another try and am really liking the new one. Velcro problem fixed and I feel like I get fewer tangles. The leash material feels a little softer than your typical urethane cords.
Which stay covered ones are you liking lately? Thought about giving them a shot a couple of times

Reactions: j_mac

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Which stay covered ones are you liking lately? Thought about giving them a shot a couple of times
It looks like they've shifted things around since my last purchase. I have what was considered their 6ft comp leash back then which now appears to be called the Grom Surf Leash ( comes in 5 and 6ft lengths). It's been holding up great.

I'll be getting a standard leash from them as well for the bigger days.

Reactions: j_mac and trifish

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I still haven’t found a leash in my 40+ years of surfing that will reliably not get looped around my ankle or get stepped on/snag between my toes at least once a session if I’m catching a lot of waves. I’ve had ones that float, ones with little grommet floaty things, cheap ones, spendy ones, all different brands and thickness, hex ones (those f’ers hurt if you get your foot squeezed and go for a sleigh ride). I don’t wrap my leashes and I’m good about getting them straight when they’re new. I keep different ones on my main rotation of borts and they’re stored almost fully extended. I would pay a king’s ransom if I ever found one that never f^cked up a wave for me.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
F-ck Creatures and their crap velcro. I’m not in shape enough to be swimming through a football field lineup on an OH day. Never again.
Pro-Lite or DaKine have always been solid for me.
Opposite experience for me. Pro-Lite velcro is very vague, but Creatures has never failed me.

My favourite, never fail me leggies are O & E Premium XT One, and Stay Covered Heavy Duty.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Did anyone mention Crow Haley? Made in 'Murica from what I gather.

Right now I have a 7' Da Kine big wave leash. The sales guy laughed and said the rail saver was bigger than his ankle strap. Thick, stays out of the way and I don't worry about it breaking. If it's small or at the beaches I usually don't wear a leash.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I still haven’t found a leash in my 40+ years of surfing that will reliably not get looped around my ankle or get stepped on/snag between my toes at least once a session if I’m catching a lot of waves. I’ve had ones that float, ones with little grommet floaty things, cheap ones, spendy ones, all different brands and thickness, hex ones (those f’ers hurt if you get your foot squeezed and go for a sleigh ride). I don’t wrap my leashes and I’m good about getting them straight when they’re new. I keep different ones on my main rotation of borts and they’re stored almost fully extended. I would pay a king’s ransom if I ever found one that never f^cked up a wave for me.
Yeah bro. You always gotta be aware of what’s happening with your leash before catching a wave. Specially if you don’t use tail pads.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i use a 5’5’ super comp leash when it’s small. i think it tangles under my back foot less often.

I think a lot of backfoot tangles come from poor leash string management, however. If the rail saver gets buggered up the cord can sit facing the wrong way.

when’s the last time you chekced uour leash string tolerances? remember - few more mm of slack is a lot!

Reactions: Woke AF