Largest Lithium Reserves in the World, in California

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Seems pretty closed minded coming from someone who can’t even spell “Moron“.

Have you driven an EV? Do you travel a lot or work in an industry where you need the flexibility of fuel convenience, range, and/ or heavy duty applications? If the answers are all no, I’m shocked an electric vehicle isn’t on your radar for tooling around town and down to the beach for a surf.

I will likely never own a combustion engine vehicle for battling around town ever again, and that has nothing to do with trying to be green, they just work better for stop and go. The full size truck (V6 Turbo about 16-18 mpg) is for travel and when I need the capacity.

A younger me, now in this age with a single vehicle, would surely own a small fuel efficient gas powered truck, so I will never support an all EV plan, it needs to be a mix, but to say “I will never own an EV” is kinda kooky.
It's kind of an old erBB joke.

I was only kidding. I kid. kidding... :toilet:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Lol. Anyone here who thinks this stuff will ever actually reach the point of getting through all the red tape and over the hurdles of the California regulatory and plaintiff attorney system, and actually being extracted from the ground needs to have their head examined.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Lol. Anyone here who thinks this stuff will ever actually reach the point of getting through all the red tape and over the hurdles of the California regulatory and plaintiff attorney system, and actually being extracted from the ground needs to have their head examined.
Gavin is already spearheading the entire thing and pulling strings to get everything fasttracked.

“We’re building a hub for global innovation while ensuring this transformation benefits communities right here in Imperial Valley. California is poised to become the world’s largest source of batteries, and it couldn’t come at a more crucial moment in our efforts to move away from fossil fuels. The future happens here first – and Lithium Valley is fast-tracking the world’s clean energy future.”

-Gavin
1702051511017.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Putting the cart before the horse. We have no Lithium refiners in the US. It would have to be shipped out of country for refining and brought back in. Tesla might be the first refinery along the gulf coast of Texas. It's a long way from reality with many uncertainties. Kind of like our collective pie-in-the sky narrative that the conversion from fossil fuels to electric is happening. Fossil fuels will be here for much longer than anyone cares to admit. Many are pulling back from the EV manufacturing commitment. It's a long ways off. Even if we start planning for it today.
Yeah, the chicken and the egg thing* and which comes first...

Back in 1859, when the first wells were drilled specifically for oil recovery, did we have oil-to-fuel refineries? Or just repurposed whisky distilleries?

Thankfully Rockefeller came along and made a purpose built refinery a few years later.

And like you pointed out, looks like Musk is following in those footsteps, so yeah, some years out, but things always take time.

1702051090453.png

I sort of wonder if enough money gets spent going in one battery chemistry direction, will that slow progress on possibly better battery tech going down a different chemical pathway? Sort of like how x86 chips put the kibosh on potentially better computer chip design for so long.

Anyway, build a better mousetrap....so where is my quantum teleporter already?

Even if we could make the batteries, we don't have the copper to wire them nor the power to charge them. This pipe dream is coming to an end and - as Kawika said - mfrs are pulling back from their EV commitments.
Unless something terrible happens, we are going to be needing copper, lots of copper, for the next century or so, regardless of EVs. Can advise long term copper equities in a Roth IRA.

* - I am more of an egg first person, if I have to choose.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Musk is smart with the vertical integration for his Tesla stuff. It's amazing how far they are/were ahead of other auto manufacturers with the EV stuff.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Gavin is already spearheading the entire thing and pulling strings to get everything fasttracked.
How's his high speed rail doing? What was the original predicted budget vs money actually spent? When was the original predicted completion date? Etc?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Would be nice if Imperial County could make it so that the Lithium or a lot of it could be refined and the batteries or a lot of them could be manufactured in Imperial County as well thus capturing way more of the economic benefit for the locals. Countries which primarily only export raw materials generally don't do as well as those which manufacture high value products and I would imagine it would be the same for a county.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
I would suggest this hike.

When I was there I seemed to be the only one around for many miles.

Any other peakbaggers around here?

I get so tired of going it alone.
You should check out some cases "Missing 411" by David Paulides, as illustrated by Jon Allen. Many lone, expert hikers go missing. They vanished without a trace!

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How's his high speed rail doing? What was the original predicted budget vs money actually spent? When was the original predicted completion date? Etc?
They are entirely different projects. If you can't see that, probably should go back to the longboard at Leadbetter.

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
They are entirely different projects. If you can't see that, probably should go back to the longboard at Leadbetter.
Gavin's a notorious pretty-boy and playboy. He's not good for anything and has never accomplished anything other than be promoted upward because of his good looks and family connections/wealth and attend WEF conferences in Davos.

He might sell the lithium to the Chinese but that's about it.

Reactions: npsp

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Gavin's a notorious pretty-boy and playboy. He's not good for anything and has never accomplished anything other than be promoted upward because of his good looks and family connections/wealth and attend WEF conferences in Davos.

He might sell the lithium to the Chinese but that's about it.
Better get used to him as the next POTUS. The cards are dealt and he's in the right place right time.
Sorry for your loss.

• Sad
Reactions: npsp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

“We’re building a hub for global innovation while ensuring this transformation benefits communities right here in Imperial Valley. California is poised to become the world’s largest source of batteries, and it couldn’t come at a more crucial moment in our efforts to move away from fossil fuels. The future happens here first – and Lithium Valley is fast-tracking the world’s clean energy future.”

-Gavin
View attachment 168188
Ah, sure.

Hows that high speed rail coming along?

• Wow
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Good.

What they should do is revive the Salton Sea by giving it a source and outflow to the sea of Cortez, but I suppose thats an even bigger project.