Largest Lithium Reserves in the World, in California

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Even if we could make the batteries, we don't have the copper to wire them nor the power to charge them. This pipe dream is coming to an end and - as Kawika said - mfrs are pulling back from their EV commitments.
Wow! Great video - thanks PRCD. I've played it 3 times - will play it more so I can memorize all the statistics in there. The upshot of this video is we need something like 700% to 2,000% more mining capability in minerals such as Lithium, Copper, Cobalt - it's a long list - to get to net zero worldwide which will take time. 16 years to develop a new mine - mines are in troubled parts of the world - % of copper in ore has gone down from 2% to 1% and is now falling logarithmically - carbon required to extract the pure metal out of ore is going up which makes the net zero harder to get to....

Does this get us into space? I mean really into space. There's a place I think 4,000 away from the moon towards earth and another place 4,000 miles away from the mood on the dark side - the dark side place is shielded from earth's EMF. If you put something in either place it just stays there with some very minor thrusts now and then to hold position. You put the freight terminal in the one closest to the earth and the scientists in the one on the other side of the moon where its radio quiet. After that's done you go to the surface of the moon and make fuel. It's dirt cheap to lift fuel out of the moons weak gravity to the freight terminal. That's how you get the fuel to go to Mars. It costs too much to lift fuel out of earths gravity.

But that fuel could be used to find asteroids and maybe refine the metals we need out in space. Could asteroids be like cruise ships where the advantage is that there's no planning commissions or permits like when you build a hotel? NASA just launched a mission in October to explore the asteroid Psyche for minerals / mining. And the moon is back - the mission to the moon is probably not the first step we should be making - that would be the freight station (according to a plan first proposed in the 1970's), but I was talking about this to a young woman just a few years out of college and her eyes lit up at the possibility of a moon mission because there would be woman and black astronauts going. It struck me that that's how the government can sell space this time - with new heroes - the heroes of inclusivity. These heroes are are how you can get someone to want to spend money on space who is normally biased to spending on the unfortunate. Just like the original space program - in James Michener's book "Space" he said that the scientists didn't want any astronauts in the space program - just instruments. The astronauts were actually in the way and greatly increased the costs but without heroes to cheer for the public would have never approved the funding. And in this case there are not just heroes but Net Zero too and there's no shortage of Net Zero funding.

Could Space become the way to net zero?

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Wow! Great video - thanks PRCD. I've played it 3 times - will play it more so I can memorize all the statistics in there. The upshot of this video is we need something like 700% to 2,000% more mining capability in minerals such as Lithium, Copper, Cobalt - it's a long list - to get to net zero worldwide which will take time. 16 years to develop a new mine - mines are in troubled parts of the world - % of copper in ore has gone down from 2% to 1% and is now falling logarithmically - carbon required to extract the pure metal out of ore is going up which makes the net zero harder to get to....

Does this get us into space? I mean really into space. There's a place I think 4,000 away from the moon towards earth and another place 4,000 miles away from the mood on the dark side - the dark side place is shielded from earth's EMF. If you put something in either place it just stays there with some very minor thrusts now and then to hold position. You put the freight terminal in the one closest to the earth and the scientists in the one on the other side of the moon where its radio quiet. After that's done you go to the surface of the moon and make fuel. It's dirt cheap to lift fuel out of the moons weak gravity to the freight terminal. That's how you get the fuel to go to Mars. It costs too much to lift fuel out of earths gravity.

But that fuel could be used to find asteroids and maybe refine the metals we need out in space. Could asteroids be like cruise ships where the advantage is that there's no planning commissions or permits like when you build a hotel? NASA just launched a mission in October to explore the asteroid Psyche for minerals / mining. And the moon is back - the mission to the moon is probably not the first step we should be making - that would be the freight station (according to a plan first proposed in the 1970's), but I was talking about this to a young woman just a few years out of college and her eyes lit up at the possibility of a moon mission because there would be woman and black astronauts going. It struck me that that's how the government can sell space this time - with new heroes - the heroes of inclusivity. These heroes are are how you can get someone to want to spend money on space who is normally biased to spending on the unfortunate. Just like the original space program - in James Michener's book "Space" he said that the scientists didn't want any astronauts in the space program - just instruments. The astronauts were actually in the way and greatly increased the costs but without heroes to cheer for the public would have never approved the funding. And in this case there are not just heroes but Net Zero too and there's no shortage of Net Zero funding.

Could Space become the way to net zero?
Realistically, our space race ended a long time ago. If you had enough guys like Musk with the determination and collective will to get something like this done, maybe. But look what they're trying to do to him. NASA is more concerned with putting lunatics in orbit than solving these problems.

Civilizations are a lot like rocket trajectories - they have a launch phase, a boost phase, a midcourse, an apogee, and - finally - a terminal phase. I leave as an exercise for the reader to decide which we phase we are in.

As for what to do, I'm sympathetic to the ideas of John Michael Greer.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ