Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I can only imagine how Kolohe felt watching Cole win an event in his first year. It’s gotta sting a bit, no matter how close the SC crew says they are.
KA is an OG to the young guys but the what ifs probably stung a bit.

KA didn't have to deal with the pressure of the cut back then so that wasn't a weight on his shoulders. Was the competition easier or harder to beat in KA's first year?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
KA is an OG to the young guys but the what ifs probably stung a bit.

KA didn't have to deal with the pressure of the cut back then so that wasn't a weight on his shoulders. Was the competition easier or harder to beat in KA's first year?
First year or last, he was winless on tour. Somewhere in there the tour was set up for him to win at least one event.

It’s actually amazing how many guys from the 2012 tour - KA’s first year i think - are still there. Gabe, Kelly (sorta), JJF, Miggy, and Jordy all still alive and kicking.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
He nailed a 9.33. Highest heat score and highest heat total so far.

His interview said he's going to hit the QS and get back on tour.

Reactions: frontsidegrab

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
He nailed a 9.33. Highest heat score and highest heat total so far.

His interview said he's going to hit the QS and get back on tour.
That’s what he said last year too.

And not to rain on his parade, the other three guys in his heat are 16 at most. Related, that Lucas kid will make a real name for himself soon.

• Haha
Reactions: JDJ

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Definitely. Reportedly the JJF Florence brand has already turned down offers to be bought. Presumably holding out for bigger $$$ down the line. But I never hear anything about Bob Hurley’s other brand that he started post-Hurley… I think it’s called IPD? Maybe you see it in OC?
#namedropalert :foreheadslap:

Haven't read through the rest of this thread but...

IPD was actually Bob's original brand. He let it go to do the Billabong thing, and then Hurley started, and then and then and then. Bob has had a Midas touch. There are some failures, of course, but mostly wins.

He's a good person and better businessman. Him being a nice and likable guy also helps because people like to surf for/with him.

Regardless, he decided to bring back IPD when Florence Marine X started (now just Florence). It has the old "PIL" punk style logo. Who else remembers that? Anyway, I saw that on a trip with Bob present and had to ask the background.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
#namedropalert :foreheadslap:

Haven't read through the rest of this thread but...

IPD was actually Bob's original brand. He let it go to do the Billabong thing, and then Hurley started, and then and then and then. Bob has had a Midas touch. There are some failures, of course, but mostly wins.

He's a good person and better businessman. Him being a nice and likable guy also helps because people like to surf for/with him.

Regardless, he decided to bring back IPD when Florence Marine X started (now just Florence). It has the old "PIL" punk style logo. Who else remembers that? Anyway, I saw that on a trip with Bob present and had to ask the background.
They’re sponsoring a lot of local grom types. Ground up marketing.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Flash forward 20 years and my perspective has totally flipped. I think the most core guy is the one who wears no logos, no stickers on his board but just shows up and rips. Having a bunch of stickers and flashy sh!t makes you a target for ridicule up here in Northern CA. Especially if you're a try hard with some surf skill but nowhere in the realm of being a pro.
this is correct

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The dawn patrol 9-5 ers/weekend warriors that charge and or rip are held in high regard here. Even by spoiled pros.

Bob sold IPD to Japanese surf business types to do Billabong. After Hurley he bought it back and put together people from Hurley and his family to get it going. Pat O is the prez of Florence and his wife Janet works at IPD.

Bob is very nice. See him surfing my regulars all the time. Remembers the regulars names, sits inside, has time to chit chat. If friends need a boar he’ll give them one of his.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
about as core as posting on an interweb surf forum asking what fins for my Dank Sharts Raders of the Lost Farts.
Hot chick grabs carbon endorfins, gives them to VAL.
"This are the fins of Christ brah"
Cross-threads the boxes while tightening and gets magic-merked.

Indy rocks up, sees the dogshit first-gen black plastic M5s.

"These are the fins of a carpenter."

GG from heaven above casts fucking lightning bolts onto the whole shebang and it collapses, killing dozens.