Kelly’s Mexico quiver

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
not really, rolling from rail to rail slightly while paddling is correct technique. it lets you reach further and get a better ROM. in the pull phase you still want to be close to the board though, not out as wide as when you enter the water which puts extra strain on the shoulders. ideally you want to do most of the pulling from the rhomboids/lats for just paddling around the lineup.
I just got back from a surf where I decided to do a bit observation after having read this thread yesterday. I do roll towards the submerged hand particularly towards the end of reaching my arm out. I do this when paddling at cruising speed out to the peak, no idea what I do when going for a wave. This is not something I have cultivated, although it might come from swimming where I was instructed to do this.

I was on my 5' 7" toy step today. As an aside not step up conditions today, but it always goes good in the open ocean. This board has a fair amount of dome in the deck to keep the volume up on a pinched rail design. What is interesting was that I could feel the 4mm of wetsuit rubber under my ribs squish in a way that together with the domed deck aided the body roll. Board is 2 3/16" thick x 18 1/4" wide.

Regarding your suggestion of recruiting the rhomboids/lats for paddling I don't have sufficient understanding/command of the anatomy to know how do this. Years ago I have experimented with depth of pulling hand and I came to the conclusion not digging deep was less tiring. Would that use the lats more? I had to google rhomboids - they keep the shoulder blades together. So would that just mean not slumping with rounded shoulders when paddling?

Last edited:
Reactions: waxfoot

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I just got back from a surf where I decided to do a bit observation after having read this thread yesterday. I do roll towards the submerged hand particularly towards the end of reaching my arm out. I do this when paddling at cruising speed out to the peak, no idea what I do when going for a wave. This is not something I have cultivated, although it might come from swimming where I was instructed to do this.

I was on my 5' 7" toy step today. As an aside not step up conditions today, but it always goes good in the open ocean. This board has a fair amount of dome in the deck to keep the volume up on a pinched rail design. What is interesting was that I could feel the 4mm of wetsuit rubber under my ribs squish in a way that together with the domed deck aided the body roll. Board is 2 3/16" thick x 18 1/4" wide.

Regarding your suggestion of recruiting the rhomboids/lats for paddling I don't have sufficient understanding/command of the anatomy to know how do this. Years ago I have experimented with depth of pulling hand and I came to the conclusion not digging deep was less tiring. Would that use the lats more? I had to google rhomboids - they keep the shoulder blades together. So would that just mean not slumping with rounded shoulders when paddling?
Damn @Mr J you always gotta come and ruin a thread by introducing math and physics. In this case anatomy. Don’t you know a magic boar is because of magic that’s why it’s called a Magic Boar. And that Album guy Matt, well he discovered YOLO magic.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
it's where most of your paddling power should come from, not the shoulders.

dwarden30

OTF status
Jun 29, 2008
Is this really such an accomplishment?

I see enough guys in that age category riding them well around here.

None of them are fat or carrying extra pounds around. I would guess most of them stay away from alcohol as well.

I think adding volume is a short-term strategy that is going to make you catch more waves but decrease your surfing ability.

Then come the shoulder issues the bigger boards give.

A better long-term plan is to not be overweight, stay in decent shape, and ride lower volume stuff. And stay away from alcohol.
Yes, even though I shed weight when I drink, I loose strength and energ. It’s all about the strength to weight ratio.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Kelly Slater is a really good paddler. His technique is perfection, I try to copy everything about it. Small adjustments in posture and stroke have made a big difference. If your shoulders are getting stressed or hurt from paddling, it probably isn't your board or even your body (or your alcohol consumption lol) but the way you are paddling.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Put your head down when paddling. It makes a huge difference. Your chin should almost be touching the deck when you're paddling hard to catch a wave. I see so many people with their neck and back arched up and it isn't a natural position for your shoulders to move that way.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Completely agree with the above, you gotta figure your shoulders are a tiny muscle group, albeit complicated (moving in every range of motion,) so it makes sense they will be the first to be exhausted. So simply put, try and put yourself in a paddling position that's going to put the least amount of stress on them, for me it's head down, chin tucked in, and try and pull with my lats, and scooping water with my hands under the board. I'm not really sure what this has to do with Kelly's quiver, but that guy is paddling machine, on tiny boards too.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I've got thick, thin, long, short, wide, lighter, slightly heavier but all in eps/epoxy boards in varying mixes of those elements in the quiver and have worked out what works for me and my paddling technique for them, with the conditions I will ride them in and my shoulders have been better than decades ago. I was bemused by the singularity of Casa's initial comment so threw out a line to see what I could catch. There's some contradictions in amongst the answers for the unwary.
I can't believe there is one perfect way for paddling. There must be a fair bit of individuality to what works best for us. We are all built different and have our preferred surfboard designs. Shortboards may be bad for some surfers, but not others and vice versa.

If one is not experiencing shoulder problems from paddling then there is a lot to be said for not trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Props to Kelly still riding those tiny, low volume boards pushing 50. The twins look fun.
The FRK competition boards were about an inch or so taller than him which is fairly standard for a short competitive surfer so I wouldn't call them tiny. He is supremely talented and in great shape for his age, so not surprising that riding shortboards would be easy enough for him. What I find amazing is that he is still competing at such a high level and props for being prepared to take competitive design risks.

I am not interested in twins, been there, done that, but I like the sound of a FRK in PU. Is that his main competition shape? I had a look at the firewire website and it seems to be a fairly standard HPSB shape nothing extreme. Anyone here own one?

Looking undergunned at 2019 Bells. Ryan Callinan on a longer board driving some much more positive turns.

Looking absolutely great on those boards in this best of 2019 Bells compilation.