Kelly’s Mexico quiver

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I can't believe there is one perfect way for paddling. There must be a fair bit of individuality to what works best for us. We are all built different and have our preferred surfboard designs. Shortboards may be bad for some surfers, but not others and vice versa.

If one is not experiencing shoulder problems from paddling then there is a lot to be said for not trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Agreed on the first paragraph though re: your last sentence...the problem can surface in cumulative damage done by poor paddling technique (and I'll throw in board type) over the years.

Reactions: Mr J

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
On the bigger board/paddling thing -

One day this summer me and the wife met up with some friends for a beach day. I didn't bring any boards as I usually don't if we're just going to chill for the day but one of the guys had a few beat up old logs so I paddled out. It was choppy and maybe waist high. I hadn't ridden or paddled a longboard in years and it was awful in the chop. Everything was a chore from paddling to turning to paddle for a wave to getting through the inside. I don't see how older guys do it. It beat me up. Maybe that's inexperience with bigger boards but everything was harder except actually catching waves. I've always held the belief that big boards are more stressful physically just from past experiences but I had forgotten how much moreso.

Just stay in shape enough to ride something reasonably sized and I think you could surf a lot longer. JMO.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
On the bigger board/paddling thing -

One day this summer me and the wife met up with some friends for a beach day. I didn't bring any boards as I usually don't if we're just going to chill for the day but one of the guys had a few beat up old logs so I paddled out. It was choppy and maybe waist high. I hadn't ridden or paddled a longboard in years and it was awful in the chop. Everything was a chore from paddling to turning to paddle for a wave to getting through the inside. I don't see how older guys do it. It beat me up. Maybe that's inexperience with bigger boards but everything was harder except actually catching waves. I've always held the belief that big boards are more stressful physically just from past experiences but I had forgotten how much moreso.

Just stay in shape enough to ride something reasonably sized and I think you could surf a lot longer. JMO.
im goingot drop on you with my 10'6

• Haha
Reactions: bobwarren