Kelly’s Mexico quiver

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My boards are 20.25 - 20.75; non issue w shoulders- but I’m mindful of keeping my arms tight to board while paddling.

on longboards that I have - 22”+ wide - painful, and difficult for me to paddle/
How do you know that it's primarily the width and not the extra weight/surface area of a longboard which could be exerting stress on the shoulders when paddling the board up to wave catching speed from a stationary position?
Asking as I'm 58 and ain't getting any younger so invested in this topic.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
My experience with big boards and busted shoulders is, that you tend to go apesh!t and paddle them like shortboards, only worse. I.e., you try to bring them up to full paddle speed instantly, and paddle for heaps more waves, meaning you put a lot of stress on your shoulders.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
And Casa made another good point about boards rocking back and forth as you paddle - wasted energy from that; all my boards have fairly flat decks to avoid it.
not really, rolling from rail to rail slightly while paddling is correct technique. it lets you reach further and get a better ROM. in the pull phase you still want to be close to the board though, not out as wide as when you enter the water which puts extra strain on the shoulders. ideally you want to do most of the pulling from the rhomboids/lats for just paddling around the lineup.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Jeez, how wide are we talking here. We're certainly not talking difference between 19 - 21 inches are we?
Depends on how big the rider is.

I am in great paddling shape.

I can't remember the dims on my glider but the first thing I noticed putting it in the water is I instantly tried to paddle like a shortboard, nearly twisttweaking my lower back.

Then I readjusted so that I was paddling the way the board had to be paddled - no side to side rock.

This puts most of the stress on you shoulders. Didn't realize it at the time... but the next day the joints in my shoulders were crazy sore.

Then I remember this being explained to me long ago - just like swimming freestyle, with surfing a degree of roll is important for stroke efficacy and to save the shoulders.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Shut up kook.

You know how I know you're not in "great paddling shape?" You're finger-fvcking your phone towards 32k posts.

But please keep educating us donkey :roflmao:

p.s. I'm free to paddle out with you whenever - say the word.

QUOTE="casa_mugrienta, post: 3446250, member: 22296"]
Depends on how big the rider is.

I am in great paddling shape.

I can't remember the dims on my glider but the first thing I noticed putting it in the water is I instantly tried to paddle like a shortboard, nearly twisttweaking my lower back.

Then I readjusted so that I was paddling the way the board had to be paddled - no side to side rock.

This puts most of the stress on you shoulders. Didn't realize it at the time... but the next day the joints in my shoulders were crazy sore.

Then I remember this being explained to me long ago - just like swimming freestyle, with surfing a degree of roll is important for stroke efficacy and to save the shoulders.
[/QUOTE]

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
That Mike Woo board is cool. Anyone know anything about it? Google is failing me.

Edit: Nevermind. Found his instagram. Cool boards.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
not really, rolling from rail to rail slightly while paddling is correct technique. it lets you reach further and get a better ROM. in the pull phase you still want to be close to the board though, not out as wide as when you enter the water which puts extra strain on the shoulders. ideally you want to do most of the pulling from the rhomboids/lats for just paddling around the lineup.
I agree w you - some roll aids the natural range of motion n use of shoulders - im talking about excessive roll. w a flatish deck on a board that’s properly sized - it’s perfect. I’m not an anatomy or biophysics wizard but have decades of personal experience surfing with bad shoulders- stemming from a neck injury.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Shut up kook.

You know how I know you're not in "great paddling shape?" You're finger-fvcking your phone towards 32k posts.

But please keep educating us donkey :roflmao:

p.s. I'm free to paddle out with you whenever - say the word.
An internet toughguy lol

I have no interest in surfing with you and your Wavestorm.

Especially since you told us you prefer surfing closeouts.

You have all the tell tale signs of a middle aged fatty who doesn't get in the water much but still needs to beat his chest.

As far as my fitness/time spent in the water, it's about the max number of sessions a week a person can handle.

P.S. I've used my phone to post here maybe 5 times, I don't usually take it anywhere with me because I don't like stuff in my pockets. You're projecting.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
im talking about excessive roll. w a flatish deck on a board that’s properly sized - it’s perfect. I’m not an anatomy or biophysics wizard but have decades of personal experience surfing with bad shoulders- stemming from a neck injury.
Agree. Love the flattish decks when paddling. Not so much when on my feet.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
How do you know that it's primarily the width and not the extra weight/surface area of a longboard which could be exerting stress on the shoulders when paddling the board up to wave catching speed from a stationary position?
Asking as I'm 58 and ain't getting any younger so invested in this topic.
It's the flotation. The short boar is low in the water, you are at an angle. On the big boar, you are above the water, laying flat. Slightly different angles, but it don't take much.

Reactions: Mr J and Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
im guilty of not knowing how to paddle a bigger board aa I’m usually riding birds below my height.

I get really excited about the glide on bigger boards and pound through the gear box like I’m in a sports car not a semi truck.

getting back out I push through waves in ways I probably shouldn’t from inexperience, occasionally hanging on for dear life, relying on my shoulder ligaments in a pinch.

What sopa says about angles make sense too. i find I’m arching my back way more than a shorty. Probably angles?

like all things, it’s a combination of a few things not just one glaring issue. But yeah, I don’t mucb like boards over 21” width either. once had a 5’10x21.5x2.5 super gravel boar and it always felt a bit wide to paddle.

Reactions: MathDebater

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Care to elaborate on the, "shoulder issues the bigger boards give"?
Yes ... for me not a big deal as far as paddling ... the issues i've had have been with duck diving ... trying to hold onto it really tears my shoulders up. I'm 61 .. about 165 lbs ... boards in the 6'4" to 7'2" seem to be the sweet spot for me. Another factor is thickness ... anything over 2 3/4 ... also tends to be a problem. Latest revelation is with a new board - with EPS construction versus PU .... have noticed that my shoulders and body in general are less sore after a 3-4 hour session on the lighter construction.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I've got thick, thin, long, short, wide, lighter, slightly heavier but all in eps/epoxy boards in varying mixes of those elements in the quiver and have worked out what works for me and my paddling technique for them, with the conditions I will ride them in and my shoulders have been better than decades ago. I was bemused by the singularity of Casa's initial comment so threw out a line to see what I could catch. There's some contradictions in amongst the answers for the unwary.

Reactions: Mr J and oeste858