Is there an “ LA” look that I should be aware of?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Bro can’t just wear Carhartt. Kelly can talk all he wants about the good his company do for the planet, I’d rather support American manufacturers

View attachment 155704
Those pants look pretty great, esp for $79, gonna check em out.

Anyone producing any thing *and* talking about saving the environment in the marketing of said product should shutthefuckup.

Yeah, Kelly, the world needed a new "clothing for dads" company. Fuckinghell.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
People in North LA wear a metric shitton of black. I swear the gnarliest thing some of these people listened to is Tori Amos and they've got a fucking black leather jacket with some studding over a slayer tee shirt, dark jeans, some sort of boot or boot-adjacent footwear.

Every once in a great while I see people in Florida who this is their look. They always wear black, they always wear jeans....they spend a solid 7 months of the year about to die of heat stroke any time they step outdoors during daylight hours. You can see their clothes cooking them inside 30 seconds of sunlight. I've had the misfortune of once or twice being in mixed company with these people and it's a fucking problem, and "hey fuckface, it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, try shorts and a loose fitting white tee shirt". Nope. Blackblackblackblack. Black Doc Martens, black jeans, black belt, black tee shirt, black flannel.

The South Bay, or Milf Bay, this is prime slim fit zip fleece and yoga ass in lululemon territory.

You will occasionally see people in very rich or very working class areas behind the times. You might see someone in Palos Verdes and think, is this Atlantic City circa 1983? Like, Earth to old tri-state area lady, your earrings are too gaudy to be in a Cash Money Records music video.

Reactions: 2surf and Chocki

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
People in North LA wear a metric shitton of black. I swear the gnarliest thing some of these people listened to is Tori Amos and they've got a fucking black leather jacket with some studding over a slayer tee shirt, dark jeans, some sort of boot or boot-adjacent footwear.

Every once in a great while I see people in Florida who this is their look. They always wear black, they always wear jeans....they spend a solid 7 months of the year about to die of heat stroke any time they step outdoors during daylight hours. You can see their clothes cooking them inside 30 seconds of sunlight. I've had the misfortune of once or twice being in mixed company with these people and it's a fucking problem, and "hey fuckface, it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, try shorts and a loose fitting white tee shirt". Nope. Blackblackblackblack. Black Doc Martens, black jeans, black belt, black tee shirt, black flannel.

The South Bay, or Milf Bay, this is prime slim fit zip fleece and yoga ass in lululemon territory.

You will occasionally see people in very rich or very working class areas behind the times. You might see someone in Palos Verdes and think, is this Atlantic City circa 1983? Like, Earth to old tri-state area lady, your earrings are too gaudy to be in a Cash Money Records music video.
Raiders advertising campaign was strong back in those days. Good to hear nothing has changed.

Going to be down in SoCal next week. And in typical form, looks like surf will go absolute flatness next week. Was kind of looking forward to surfing in water over 52 degrees.

If I'm wearing black, it's due to mourning. :roflmao:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Those pants look pretty great, esp for $79, gonna check em out.

Anyone producing any thing *and* talking about saving the environment in the marketing of said product should shutthefuckup.

Yeah, Kelly, the world needed a new "clothing for dads" company. Fuckinghell.
If you want some dank denim you can’t find it any cheaper, he uses the exact same fabrics (what’s left of the last made in USA Cone Mills, or from Japan) and sews it on the vintage machines. I’ve gotten a bunch of stuff from them, usually 33waist 32 from them. I’m pretty sure it’s just him and his wife running the ship/filling orders etc, along with the cutters/sewers talk about streamlining. denim, tshirts, hoodies and it’s all been extremely well made/will last forever and more importantly wicked comfortable.

I won’t wear anything that I ain’t comfortable in so I’ve always been a jeans and t shirts workwear bro. And since I’m single in the lift line of life I’m gonna do whatever I can to take advantage of all the baddies looking for a zaddy running wild these days. Turns out all I had to do is live long enough and now I’m a vibe, so I got that going for me which is nice.

“Lumberjack“ lol
1686063041691.jpeg

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Reactions: Chocki

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I always thought black was a NYC thing. It was also definitely a urban Italy thing.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If you want some dank denim you can’t find it any cheaper, he uses the exact same fabrics (what’s left of the last made in USA Cone Mills, or from Japan) and sews it on the vintage machines. I’ve gotten a bunch of stuff from them, usually 33waist 32 from them. I’m pretty sure it’s just him and his wife running the ship/filling orders etc, along with the cutters/sewers talk about streamlining. denim, tshirts, hoodies and it’s all been extremely well made/will last forever and more importantly wicked comfortable.

I won’t wear anything that I ain’t comfortable in so I’ve always been a jeans and t shirts workwear bro. And since I’m single in the lift line of life I’m gonna do whatever I can to take advantage of all the baddies looking for a zaddy running wild these days. Turns out all I had to do is live long enough and now I’m a vibe, so I got that going for me which is nice.

“Lumberjack“ lol
View attachment 155723
Looks like you've been studying this. Consultancy or influencer gig inyour future?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

“Lumberjack“ lol
View attachment 155723

Oh, you were serious.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Looks like you've been studying this. Consultancy or influencer gig inyour future?
Money don’t grow on trees bro. I still remember the lumberyard job I had catching new sheets of plywood as they came out of the press. It was time to get some new threads so I went looking for the best made in this country for the least coin. I’m big on value along with supporting small businesses.

Too lazy to be an influencer, as far as business/life consulting keep your overhead low.

if I’m really feeling like a pimp, I bust out what I believe the cool kids call the drip, desert style

E1758C20-76E8-4AC8-A704-17017EC02CEF.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Hey, I think a couple of those guys are my ex-students. Still wearing the same threads.
Some things will never go out of style. I like wearing my plaid shirts how I call modified cholo, I only do the second button from the top. All the freedom of movement/swag w/o feeling like your neck is constrained
1686076500514.jpeg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Some things will never go out of style. I like wearing my plaid shirts how I call modified cholo, I only do the second button from the top. All the freedom of movement/swag w/o feeling like your neck is constrained
View attachment 155750
I have two Pendletons. One I inherited from my dad. They will last a long, long time. Only winter for me because I have to wear a long sleeve tee under because of the scratchy wool. Do they make a soft wool version? We also got a couple Pendleton blankets for wedding presents. I had no idea how much they cost.

Also, I've started to always use a bandana when hiking. Prevents neck sunburn and is a good wipe for sweat.

ps I used to call the cholo shorts my students wore "culottes." Good thing they were not intellectually curious or they would have looked it up, found the definition "split skirts" and come back and....