Information

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Cool, me too.
Do you get by responding as you just did snubs the discussion you originally asked for?
That leads to … what you complain about. Over and over again. :toilet:
I will never be able to match your existence .

I will pick one session from 1971
Surfing the Hook in Santa Cruz on a perfect bigger day with my friend Roger
Black a local surfer from Hawaii loaned me his brand new unridden Tri Fin BK sent him
What an awesome day and board

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I will never be able to match your existence .

I will pick one session from 1971
Surfing the Hook in Santa Cruz on a perfect bigger day with my friend Roger
Black a local surfer from Hawaii loaned me his brand new unridden Tri Fin BK sent him
What an awesome day and board
Ok, I’m not competing with you or anyone here. Just a guess. but I don’t think anyone here is either. Nobody has doubted what you have experienced. But just because you have had this lifetime experience and have drawn your conclusions does not necessarily make those conclusions true for anyone else.
I’m sure they are true for you and I’m totally happy for that, but if I disagree they are not true for me which has little to do with you.

it would be far more interesting if you said why that board worked so well for you that day.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Believe it or not, I actually track this sometimes with dawn patrol and an apple watch.

The most riding time I've ever logged in a single session was ~4:30.

That was over a 3-hour(ish) session on a fun OB winter day riding my CI Mid.

FYI, you can ignore members on the erBB by clicking on their profile and hitting the ignore button.

Did that the other day for Greg and do not regret it so far.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Believe it or not, I actually track this sometimes with dawn patrol and an apple watch.
yep, this is where I got my “couple of minutes” figure from. The reef break I reference offers ~200 yrd rights and doesn’t need to be big or perfect to connect all the way through.

4.5min at OBSF sounds exhausting.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

FYI, you can ignore members on the erBB by clicking on their profile and hitting the ignore button.

Viewing everything I say in a negative way gets the results you are looking for .

We are sharing the idea of actual ride time because of my post = information that would not exist without it

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
yep, this is where I got my “couple of minutes” figure from. The reef break I reference offers ~200 yrd rights and doesn’t need to be big or perfect to connect all the way through.

45min paddling out at OBSF sounds exhausting for one take off then biffing it on the bottom turn, then getting plowed back to the dry sand.
Fixed (and guilty of such flailing).

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
it would be far more interesting if you said why that board worked so well for you that day.
This would be great
It would include Kool Aids dreaded name dropping that adds to this Information that makes this day and board even better

This BK tri fin had the same Diffenderfer tri plane of that year - would love to describe what it rode like
Black was a featured Hawaiian in 5 summer Stories
Roger was the best surfer ever to come out of Santa Cruz
Just to start :waving:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

We’re not really surfers. We’re paddlers.

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
200 yrd rights
Paddle back out
Wait your turn when that One finally comes
Repeat

From experience - a couple of minutes of board time would take several hours
This is the same for all gravity-based sports without assistance as there is an inequality of speeds that results in an inequality of time
surfing - paddle offshore minutes, on the wave seconds
mountain biking - 1 hour of pedaling up, hike the mountain with the bike on your back, 5 minutes down
bike jumps - hours and hours building and hiking the bike for seconds of flight time
snowboarding - walk up (hour) - minutes down
list goes on

The goals are either 1) optimize the slower aspect to make it more tolerable and sacrifice performance on the faster aspect, 2) balance/compromise between the two, 3) suffer on the slower for performance on the faster, or 4) get assistance (boat, electric, lift, rip current, drugs, etc)

Other than true lift or electric assistance... I would say the general tendency is toward the performance side with as much of a "cheat" factor to reduce suffering!

Last edited: