If you left California, where would you move?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
tbh I've never thought of the Canaries as a destination.

West Oz has better surf and kinder locals with desert terrain.

those reefs look epic though.
exactly, one of the reasons I came, the "friendly" locals.

cannot say which has better surf, as I've never been to West Oz.

but i can tell you that there are enough waves here to choke a hungry goat.

so many unnamed, never ridden, slabs, points, crazy Mason Ho type set ups, etc...

imagine west oz to be very similar.

my guess is, whichever is most regular is best.

but I have no idea
if the triple threat of women/kids/jobs doesn't ruin ya.....imo its 55yo.
:cautious:
55 yo now. No job, no kids, yes to women.

I'd be charging BIG SURF if it weren't for my list of injuries, and still do despite them every once in a while.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
thought it had it all figured out being in indo full time but.....miss sd winter

will figure out how to stay here for 8 months and sd for late fall winter

california is a good place- would like to come home for la jolla waves
You have not missed a thing! However, the last couple of weeks have been pretty good but insanely crowded. There have been a couple of windows where it has been somewhat empty but it seems to last for less than an hour then back to >75 heads up and down the beach. Gone are the days when it's pumping and the only ones out are a handful of guys/gals you've known for years trading sets for a few hours before everyone gets out of school or off work.

Reactions: Havoc

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I didn't mind the roads to much, it was the human waste at a lot of the pull over spots/shoulders.
Freedom Crappers (campers). Probably the only good thing to come out of Covid is the absence of foreign tourists in clapped-out old vans sh!tting all over NZ. NZ needs to provide better facilities, and they need to learn some manners.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
It was over $1,200/mo for family of four for me and that was just premiums. Tack on another $10K/year for other OoP expenses. That's when I hear people scream about a flat tax of 10% for universal health care, I just laugh and think, boy wouldn't that be nice!

I did next best thing, though, and got a job that has health care costs of about $350/month for family. And a pension. :beer:
I did next best thing, though, and got a job that has health care costs of about $350/month for family. And a pension. :beer:
Teacher?

Nov 25, 2020
On the coast, Florida probably, maybe one of the Carolinas. Mountain West state other than Colorado if I move away from the ocean. Outside the US, probably Panama.
Stick with nc.. surf sucks in south carolina and the bugs are way worse. Charleston is the only decent town in SC and if you ever consider moving here, drop by about mid august... whe the low daily temp matches the ocean water temp of 85 degrees, you may reconsider

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I’d try Mexico!! Have never been south of Acapulco. North of it i’ve been. Most places are so sketchy, but you could get by. We’d go out and the nightclubs were full of lil narcos. Vallarta and Acapulco looked like they’d seen better days. Near the Ixtapa area the locals basically told us to keep driving!. That placed really looked run down.
These was back in 2009. Who knows whats it like today.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I’d try Mexico!! Have never been south of Acapulco. North of it i’ve been. Most places are so sketchy, but you could get by. We’d go out and the nightclubs were full of lil narcos. Vallarta and Acapulco looked like they’d seen better days. Near the Ixtapa area the locals basically told us to keep driving!. That placed really looked run down.
I remember when Vallarta and Acapulco were popular spring break spots. My how times have changed :drowning:

Reactions: mundus

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Which leads to another discussion: At what age do you start taking it easy and surf softer waves?

Maybe I'll start another thread.
Exactly. I don't wanna place with barrels breaking over 1' deep razor sharp reef in my 60s. Gimmie something I can cruise a 7'+ board, longboard and a glider, a good mat spot and good fishing + diving. Warm/cold doesn't matter as much to me.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Exactly. I don't wanna place with barrels breaking over 1' deep razor sharp reef in my 60s. Gimmie something I can cruise a 7'+ board, longboard and a glider, a good mat spot and good fishing + diving. Warm/cold doesn't matter as much to me.
I remember a a surf travel company's ad that said the Maldives was for people who like CA style point breaks. That sounds good. I also remember reading an article that climate change related sea level rise was becoming a problem for the atolls (cue Surfdog and Charming)..

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
At this point you’re not gonna find anyplace with decent waves worth committing time to that isn’t already crowded. Those days are long gone.

The spring breakers moved to Cancun years ago, cheaper fares.

@Maz its been brought up before. What you can comfortably handle up to 50 is gonna change after 60. Warm water helps.

Reactions: mundus

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Would say Bali if the water wasn't fucking disgusting.

Portugal is more realistic though. Real estate prices are still reasonable near good surf breaks, great climate, diversity of waves, cost of living is cheap, and it's safe. Not to mention easy access to Morocco and the relatively unexploited waves of Africa.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Would say Bali if the water wasn't fucking disgusting.

Portugal is more realistic though. Real estate prices are still reasonable near good surf breaks, great climate, diversity of waves, cost of living is cheap, and it's safe. Not to mention easy access to Morocco and the relatively unexploited waves of Africa.
Good food and wine. Mediterranean culture.

I got turned on to their group when I was living in Italy. Modern day "fado."

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Breaking news in California, our piece of shlt governor didn't succeed in getting restaurant workers to agree to pay union dues, so restaurants will remain closed. Because coronavirus.

Everyone in Texas must be dead by now, they've been going out to eat and attending sporting events for months! Sorry Texas. Florida too. Oh and Nevada, damn, I didn't get to go back to Vegas before everyone died and everything is gone now.

I guess the survivors here and in New York city will have to live out our lives social distancing(tm) over zoom calls that pass over our vast, empty, apocalyptic wasteland where people just wouldn't listen.

Reactions: Ifallalot