I think I have to get rid of my dog (& my scrotum got bit)

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We have a shelter dog. Part rotweiller, part german shepard, part poole.

Kind of like what eveybody in the USA is going to be.....

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I would most definitely NOT try that technique on a Brazilian Fila. It WILL turn 180° while you still have its hind legs in your hands and, voila!

You are scrotum less... Your pepis, man parts, may also be missing.

YMMV, kids, do not try this at home!
Have never tried it myself .... but have seen it or variations of the technique on different sites including this one ... but i would agree with SurfFuerteventura - YMMV

Note: the one technique that i have used with success ... is using water from a hose.

How to Separate and Break Up a Dog Fight (nycdoggies.com)

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Have never tried it myself .... but have seen it or variations of the technique on different sites including this one ... but i would agree with SurfFuerteventura - YMMV

Note: the one technique that i have used with success ... is using water from a hose.

How to Separate and Break Up a Dog Fight (nycdoggies.com)
I’ve had success with grabbing the aggressor’s collar and twisting really hard aka trying to choke the dog out. You’re not gonna get any better control over the one dog and it’s as good a way as any to try not to get bit. YMMV

Last edited:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Weird twist on this story. She nipped him again, so we wrapped a bandage on the tiny wound, and my wife ordered a sweater for him to wear so he couldnt get at the bandage. She also ordered a sweater for the aussie, because why not.

Well, she loves the sweater and she has been much more calm and nice ever since we put it on her. I think it's helping her anxiety. Weird, but good.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Weird twist on this story. She nipped him again, so we wrapped a bandage on the tiny wound, and my wife ordered a sweater for him to wear so he couldnt get at the bandage. She also ordered a sweater for the aussie, because why not.

Well, she loves the sweater and she has been much more calm and nice ever since we put it on her. I think it's helping her anxiety. Weird, but good.
Some trainers recommend a dog pack w/ some weight in the pockets for working dogs. I've also seen weighted jackets advertised for calming (and weighted blankets for some humans).

Reactions: Boneroni

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Semi-relevant story .... when Mrs. Flyinraptr and i first started visiting Nica .... there was this older Nica street dog that showed up at the condo we were staying at and of course Mrs. Flyinraptr began feeding her while we were there. We asked around and found out that this particular dog did not have an owner and basically hung out in the community - sleeping on the beach and begging for food at the beach club within the community. Everyone knew who she was and when checking out YouTube clips of Colorado's - i spotted her a couple times. A while later - we took another trip and sure enough she showed up at our condo ... we eventually bought some property and every time we came down - within a day she would find us and spend the time we were there with us. Of course, every time we left to go home back in the States it was absolutely heart breaking. We decided that if we moved down there - that we would find her and adopt her. Well - as fate would have it - we ended up buying more property and moving down there permanently. When we found her - she was on her death bed - tick disease and it was touch and go for about a month but she survived. She is up there in age (we think about 11 or 12), has arthritis, walks with a limp and is missing a bunch of teeth. Our house was still in the process of being built - so we had a crew of locals working there on a daily basis. What we didn't know and soon learned is that she absolutely hated the locals... what we also learned is that the majority of the locals are scared of dogs. On more than one occasion - she would have 3 or 4 workers backed up against a wall - growling and showing all 3 or 4 of her teeth - it was hard not to start laughing. I would have to come and rescue the workers ... I would tell the workers it was ok - she already had lunch in Spanish. I was afraid to grab her by the collar because she is so frail - so i would basically just pick her and carry her away while she was still growling. Fortunately, she has never bitten anyone but has come close on a few occasions .... nowadays ... she has mellowed and basically grumbles as someone walks past but doesn't bother to get up and go after them.

20191018_114421.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

that's strange because I wear a dog to help with my anxiety

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

"Wraps" are often used on stressed out dogs.

They're basically an ACE bandage like you'd use for a sprain, wrapped around their hind quarters and chest/shoulders in a figure 8.

Not sure why but it works great to relax them. It's like they're being hugged constantly.

Give that a try when it warms up and the sweater is too much.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm behind on this thread and lazy, how many more times that the dog bit the other dog and/or your taint?
One scrotum bite. No taint bites (yet)

I got a bit less worried when I realized that the wounds inflicted are very minor compared to what she could do. She's strong enough to bite his head clean off, but she still only managed to leave a single tooth mark. Is that a good thing?
Is that showing restraint? :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County

I got a bit less worried when I realized that the wounds inflicted are very minor compared to what she could do. She's strong enough to bite his head clean off, but she still only managed to leave a single tooth mark. Is that a good thing?
Man parts without a head...damn!

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

Herding dogs nip

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We lost our old dog. Ace.... 14 Y/O part German Shepard, part wolf. He was a good boy. The King of our neighborhood. Got calls from the neighbors to come get him out of their yards, swimming pools. RIP Old Buddy.

His predecessor is Hugo. A very young dog. Part German Sheppard, Rotweiller and I think, poodle. He looks like a German Sheppard/Rotwieller. But he has this little poodle puffball of a tail. He's smart. A shelter dog from Oakland. He's an absolute bundle of energy. No way he could live in an apartment.

Up here where we live is absolute paradise for him.

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

ABSOLUTELY!!!

that's the single reason why one of my pitbulls was left to die, discarded after having her pups literally ripped from her side and left open, and barely alive to bleed out and die... Because when she goes to bite, at the last second she turns and only hooks one tooth.

This display of "inefficiency" is enough to get a fighting dog thrown from the cliffs here.

It's what saved my dogs life, thanks to me finding her and saving her, she's lived a happy 8 years with us, and the ones that remain too.

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Have you ever tried breaking up a cat fight? Or worse - try to give a cat a pill? LOL
Please, wear your thickest leather gloves, thickest wool or leather coat, goggles and some sort of hair covering or hat.

This just for the pill.

The fight? Either hose from safe distance at high pressure, or turn and run, they can and will go in any unpredictable direction and entangle anything they come across. Literally, RUN!!!

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Semi-relevant story .... when Mrs. Flyinraptr and i first started visiting Nica .... there was this older Nica street dog that showed up at the condo we were staying at and of course Mrs. Flyinraptr began feeding her while we were there. We asked around and found out that this particular dog did not have an owner and basically hung out in the community - sleeping on the beach and begging for food at the beach club within the community. Everyone knew who she was and when checking out YouTube clips of Colorado's - i spotted her a couple times. A while later - we took another trip and sure enough she showed up at our condo ... we eventually bought some property and every time we came down - within a day she would find us and spend the time we were there with us. Of course, every time we left to go home back in the States it was absolutely heart breaking. We decided that if we moved down there - that we would find her and adopt her. Well - as fate would have it - we ended up buying more property and moving down there permanently. When we found her - she was on her death bed - tick disease and it was touch and go for about a month but she survived. She is up there in age (we think about 11 or 12), has arthritis, walks with a limp and is missing a bunch of teeth. Our house was still in the process of being built - so we had a crew of locals working there on a daily basis. What we didn't know and soon learned is that she absolutely hated the locals... what we also learned is that the majority of the locals are scared of dogs. On more than one occasion - she would have 3 or 4 workers backed up against a wall - growling and showing all 3 or 4 of her teeth - it was hard not to start laughing. I would have to come and rescue the workers ... I would tell the workers it was ok - she already had lunch in Spanish. I was afraid to grab her by the collar because she is so frail - so i would basically just pick her and carry her away while she was still growling. Fortunately, she has never bitten anyone but has come close on a few occasions .... nowadays ... she has mellowed and basically grumbles as someone walks past but doesn't bother to get up and go after them.

View attachment 102061
I don't know if that is the same dog we named Nippers at Colorados years ago. The local security is super mean to those strays, but they do get annoying around the restaurant.