I think I have to get rid of my dog (& my scrotum got bit)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
No joke.

Last night my big dog (Aussie) attacked my lil' dog (Terrier). She was latched hard onto his neck, below the ear. First thing I did was lift her up by the scruff of the neck, hoping she would drop him. She didn't, so he was left hanging from her mouth, biting and gnashing his teeth to try and get away. Since I was lifting both of them, he was about at crotch level, and he accidentally bit me. Didn't break through my pants, but still drew blood on my sac. I got reeeeeeal lucky though. One inch to the left and my junk would've gotten destroyed.

Anyway, that's not his fault. He was getting mauled. I finally hit her hard enough in the face that she dropped him. Somehow, he's okay. A couple of punctures in his neck, but nothing bled for long and he went to the vet today.

This happened a few times in the past, but it was when she was still puppyish and it was always about resource guarding. This seemed to come out of nowhere and it's pretty scary. I mean, I hurt my hand getting her off of him. What happens if I'm at work and it happens? My wife and daughter just watch her kill him?

I'm pretty sure I've got to get rid of her and I'm really bummed. But he was here first, so what can you do?

Fck. :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
No joke.

Last night my big dog (Aussie) attacked my lil' dog (Terrier). She was latched hard onto his neck, below the ear. First thing I did was lift her up by the scruff of the neck, hoping she would drop him. She didn't, so he was left hanging from her mouth, biting and gnashing his teeth to try and get away. Since I was lifting both of them, he was about at crotch level, and he accidentally bit me. Didn't break through my pants, but still drew blood on my sac. I got reeeeeeal lucky though. One inch to the left and my junk would've gotten destroyed.

Anyway, that's not his fault. He was getting mauled. I finally hit her hard enough in the face that she dropped him. Somehow, he's okay. A couple of punctures in his neck, but nothing bled for long and he went to the vet today.

This happened a few times in the past, but it was when she was still puppyish and it was always about resource guarding. This seemed to come out of nowhere and it's pretty scary. I mean, I hurt my hand getting her off of him. What happens if I'm at work and it happens? My wife and daughter just watch her kill him?

I'm pretty sure I've got to get rid of her and I'm really bummed. But he was here first, so what can you do?

once they get a taste for balls it’s
all over...

even if he has to jump up to get ‘em!
:shark:

how old is the bigger dog?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
She's 3 y/o. Regular sized Aussie. The little one is about 7 y/o

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
No joke.

Let them work it out.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Maybe a home where she is the only pet?
That's what I'm thinking. Both of my dogs are totally different when the other is not around. When there's no one to battle for attention, they are super chill. But they can't seem to let go of the other getting any attention around them. We recently went camping with just the little dog. I had forgotten what he's like when he's not being riled up by her.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That's what I'm thinking. Both of my dogs are totally different when the other is not around. When there's no one to battle for attention, they are super chill. But they can't seem to let go of the other getting any attention around them. We recently went camping with just the little dog. I had forgotten what he's like when he's not being riled up by her.
Has the Aussie ever show human aggression?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Let them work it out.
What do you mean? Just don't intervene?
He does not seem psychologically affected when this happens, but it's the 3rd time we've had to take him to the vet because of it.

They play fight all the time, and it's totally fine. Plenty of expressions of submission and trust from both dogs. When this happens it's instant, with NO lead up.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Drop it at the humane society. Don't mention the attacks. Just say you can't keep it and that it seemed aggressive with other dogs. Someone will adopt a 3 year old Australian shepherd.

Or look up a breed specific rescue.

Herding dogs can be dicks.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That sucks :cry:

if there's no way to keep them separate yet comfortable somehow then maybe the best thing you can do is to look for someone who might wanna keep him and you know will be good owners. If you can keep in touch even better.

Sorry mate.

Reactions: $kully and Boneroni