I think I have to get rid of my dog (& my scrotum got bit)

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Aussies are working dogs. They need a ton of exercise. They're beautiful and I understand why people want them but they are not good dogs for everyone. My uncle bought one years ago named Mister Charlie (Grateful Dead) and he got him for all the wrong reasons. My uncle lived in Sarasota and he was a fat old sports fan and an avid reader who spent most of his days in his recliner watching sports and reading books and not getting this dog the exercise it needed. It got very territorial and bit a bunch of people, myself included. Eventually it bit the animal control officer making a home visit after a neighbor complained and had to get put down. It was pretty sad but it was hard to see the dog as the problem and not my uncle. I think he could have been a great dog in the right circumstances.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Aussies are working dogs. They need a ton of exercise. They're beautiful and I understand why people want them but they are not good dogs for everyone. My uncle bought one years ago named Mister Charlie (Grateful Dead) and he got him for all the wrong reasons. My uncle lived in Sarasota and he was a fat old sports fan and an avid reader who spent most of his days in his recliner watching sports and reading books and not getting this dog the exercise it needed. It got very territorial and bit a bunch of people, myself included. Eventually it bit the animal control officer making a home visit after a neighbor complained and had to get put down. It was pretty sad but it was hard to see the dog as the problem and not my uncle. I think he could have been a great dog in the right circumstances.
pretty much. if you don't have a giant yard, AND you don't have time to exercise her EVERYDAY, she's not a good fit for you. you'll have no trouble finding a good home for her, but do her a favor and don't put her in a situation that isnt right for the breed.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Thanks guys. I appreciate the sympathy.
It was pretty sad but it was hard to see the dog as the problem and not my uncle. I think he could have been a great dog in the right circumstances.
That's what gets me. I actually feel really guilty. My wife got her at 7 weeks old with big talk of taking her on runs everyday and taking her to work and training her 3 hours a day. For many reasons, that didn't happen, and I took her to training classes and did my best at home, but it wasnt consistent enough to really rope her in. I know dogs have individual personality though, and even though she's sweet, she has been really difficult in training and socialization from the start. I spent countless hours at the dog par k with her, but after months of the she got into it with another dog (resource guarding) and I haven't been able to bring her there offleash since.

Drop it at the humane society. Don't mention the attacks.
Is this an okay thing to do? Seems at least ingenious to me.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Damn, that sucks!
Don't put her down, there's plenty of people that will take her. Try contacting a vet up in Santa Ynez, they probably know someone with a good environment like a ranch or big property.
Couldn't imagine having to get rid of my Aussie.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I'd try to keep them separated and find her a new home. You may be able to find a breed specific rescue organization to help you out or even foster her if need be. They're out there. But absolutely be up front about her behavior issues. She needs to be with someone that is equipped to handle this behavior. Lying about it will not help the dog in the long run. It will just increase the odds of her getting put down or passed along to another home.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I would hate it if I had a crazy dog.

I need to cool dog like me.

Sometimes I'm walking and I see a cool dog and I think I wouldn't mind being friends with that dog.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That's what I'm thinking. Both of my dogs are totally different when the other is not around. When there's no one to battle for attention, they are super chill. But they can't seem to let go of the other getting any attention around them. We recently went camping with just the little dog. I had forgotten what he's like when he's not being riled up by her.
Dog's are such attention whores.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I would hate it if I had a crazy dog.

I need to cool dog like me.

Sometimes I'm walking and I see a cool dog and I think I wouldn't mind being friends with that dog.
Our dog before this one was a bit crazy. But she only bit kids, the very elderly, and the mentally disabled. Seriously.

And she lived to be 16. She made raising kids seem super easy.

• Wow

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
We adopted a 10month old “Morkie” in February. Overall he’s great but has some issues with old people with silver hair. Fucking hates my GF’s parents which sucks cause they’re the most likely dogsitters for us. Think it may have something to do with his life before we came into the picture. C6D58EC6-62E5-4724-BAE6-C0B55FBD3CA7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Aruka and Boneroni

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
My sisters Aussie who when she first got him used to pis himself whenever he saw a male human. He eventually got over that but he hated disabled people. This old guy with a cane and a limp would walk her street and that Aussie would go nuts. His favorite toy was a nickel. If he found one on the floor he would pick it up and flip into the air letting it drop over and over until it drives you crazy and take it. Whatever life he had before my sister found him in the pound standing in his own pis have been very strange.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
As already observed, those dogs need a job. They also need an owner that is firmly in control. The dog hasn't accepted you as pack leader. There are no-kill shelters and breed specific rescues. But if you go that route be honest. Let them know what the problem was so they know what they are dealing with. And that wasn't the way to break up a fight. As you now know...

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
our working dog is a dick.

loves women and children. tolerates men

male dogs dont like him and he doesnt like them

3F10B9AF-5A10-4AD5-951F-EDAD6D0A4FC0.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: $kully