I love a Good "Good Book" thread

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Steak said:
subway said:

Also just read "The Abominable" as recommended on one of these threads. Also a cool read. Mt Everest meets The Bourne books
Do not pass up Dan Simmons Sci Fi novels.

Hyperion

Fall of Hyperion

Endymion

Rise of Endymion

Brilliant stuff, Hugo award winning.

Also

Illyium

and

Olympos

And if you enjoyed The Abominable you will freaking dig "Terror".

Also based on a true incident. Simmons is one of the best.
Started Abomible on my flight this AM. FUCKING AWESOME

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Stonn said:
I was dragged into this place in SF. I literally ran out to the pizza place across the street, chugged a beer to get the taste out of my mouth then enjoyed a couple of slices.

LurkNoMore

Nep status
Mar 4, 2013
R3W said:
Stonn said:
I was dragged into this place in SF. I literally ran out to the pizza place across the street, chugged a beer to get the taste out of my mouth then enjoyed a couple of slices.

I have avoided being dragged to this place over the last year,
will continue the effort to avoid it in the future.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
The other downside is the way they smell. The one in SF served only raw, vegan food., Definitely no garlic roasted potatoes.

Sorry for the book highjack. Just finished "Sea of Glory" by Nathaniel Philbrick about the U.S. Exploratory Expedition of 1838.

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan...the series spanned almost 20 years time for me from its start but I loved the story and luckily Brandon Sanderson did a good job finishing it after Jordan's death....the Empire trilogy by Feist and Wurts is also pretty good if you don't mind that the main figure is a heroine

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Sailing Alone Around the World written by the first to ever do it alone, Joshua Slocum. It includes plans for his boat, Spray, along with his description of its construction. It's available as a free download. Slocum and Spray disappeared without a trace in a later voyage.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i don' t know, man
sounds kinda monotonous
might be more interesting if he, like, halucinates that there's a tiger, hyena and zebra with him or something
cowabunga
rg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
ElOgro said:
HeyyNow said:

Started reading this last night. I was laughing out loud. Kept thinking about ElOgro.
Just bought it, I'll check it out.
Translated to British English so I had to read it thinking in spanish and it's a hoot.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
slopokecr said:
"Thai Stick" by Peter Maguire

AND ITS SURFING RELATED!

about surf culture's role in the late 60s early 70s pot trade, centered in Thailand.

" a billion dollar trade being run by stoned amateurs"

If you surf and/or have ever smoked pot, you wont be able to put it down.
Hey, I knew some of those guys! :roflmao:

Not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, but what was back then?

BTW, most of the thai weed was grown in Laos (where it was legal and sold openly in markets), especially the high octane.

Interesting on the background of GLand, Fast Eddie even makes a cameo.

It's appropriate to make a shout out to my old neighbor Tricky Dick Nixon. Hey Dick, fuck you.

chuzzlewit

OTF status
Feb 15, 2014
test_article said:
Sailing Alone Around the World written by the first to ever do it alone, Joshua Slocum. It includes plans for his boat, Spray, along with his description of its construction. It's available as a free download. Slocum and Spray disappeared without a trace in a later voyage.
so good. so good.

also this one:
[img:center]http://forum.surfermag.com/photopost/data/898/the-last-grain-race1.jpg[/img]

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Autoprax said:
I post this in every book thread but "Trustee from the Tool Room."

http://www.amazon.com/Trustee-Toolroom-Vintage-International-Nevil-ebook/dp/B003WUYPYW

READ THIS BOOK!

Shute wrote it on his death bed. It's his best novel.

Who says an artist's powers have to diminish with old age?
Your use of all caps has me sold. I'll have to pick it up.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
chuzzlewit said:
test_article said:
so good. so good.

also this one:
[img:center]http://forum.surfermag.com/photopost/data/898/the-last-grain-race1.jpg[/img]
Where is the Slocum book available as a free download? I will get the Last Grain Race too

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
bird. said:
Random Guy said:
i'm reading Infinite Jest now.
some sentences go on for pages, and then i have to reread the sentence, because i'm just like, huh?
but other parts of it are great
How are the footnotes? That's one that's on my list to read, but it sounds like a major undertaking (and looks like one too... lot of pages.)
it's a major undertaking
a hundred pages into it, and i'm not really liking it
and the footnotes? f*ck footnotes. just another way of making it more difficult to read

someone tell me this thing's going to get better. I'm not sure how much longer i can hold out hope
cowabunga
rg

psychophant

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2011
Hawai'i

Actually, my first mistake wasn’t taking a bow, it was standing up again.

On the way up, I hit Mom’s water glass . . . which fell over and hit a candlestick . . . which fell over and caught a napkin on fire . . . which made Uncle Pete yell, “Pour on water!” . . . which made me throw a glass of water . . . which was my second mistake.

I don’t know what Grandma Melvyn had in her water glass, but it sure wasn’t water. When I threw it on the flame, it went WHOOOSH and the fire spread across the table . . . which made Aunt Trudy knock Uncle Pete right into the cake . . . which made him knock the cake onto the floor . . . which probably saved us all from food poisoning, but which really took the magic out of the moment.

While Ape Boy climbed the china cabinet to get a better view, Mom got the fire extinguisher and put out the flames. When the fire was out and the smoke cleared, Grandma Melvyn and I were alone in the dining room. I looked out the window to avoid the Wicked Wobble Eye, and that’s when I heard the weirdest sound ever. It was a wheezing, honking, snorting sound like a cross between an asthmatic goose and an insane pig. I looked at Grandma Melvyn. Sure enough, she was laughing. Or maybe she was having some kind of fit. It was hard to tell. Her whole body shook and tears streamed down her cheeks. She wheezed and sputtered trying to get her breath between snorts. Her face was bright red and she looked like she was going to fall out of her chair.

Perfect. Grandma Melvyn, the woman who never ever, ever laughed, was going to laugh herself to death because of me. I was about to call an ambulance when she stopped and said something that nearly knocked me over.

“Well, Robbie,” she said, “your bow needs work, but I’ve seen worse acts.”

“What?” I asked.

“Got cake in your ears?”

“No,” I said, “it’s just that you never called me by my name before.”

“Well, you never did anything interesting before,” she said. “Maybe staying here won’t be as bad as it looks.”

“What?” I asked.

Grandma Melvyn narrowed her eyes and leaned back in her chair. Her mouth curled up on one side in something that wasn’t quite a smile.

“Well, well,” she said. “Trixie didn’t tell you yet, did she? I’m stuck with you bunch of losers.”

“What?”

“What? What? What?” Grandma Melvyn snapped. “There something wrong with you? Thomas Edison didn’t say ‘watt’ that much, and he invented the lightbulb. Oh, that’s a good one.”

She went back to wheezing and snorting while I sat there with my mouth open like the first guy in a sci-fi movie to witness an alien invasion: amazed, confused, and too stupid to run.

Grandma Melvyn poked me with her cane.

“Don’t work yourself into a wedgie,” she said. “I’m out of here the minute those Trixies at Almetta Insurance chuck up the dough for my knee operation. Sooner, if Trixie stops ordering pizza and goes back to cooking.”

Grandma Melvyn stood up and leaned hard on her cane. She shuffled out of the dining room and down the hall. I heard her yell at Mom in the kitchen: “Make with the ice cream, Trixie! You call this a birthday party? Where’s the ice cream?”