I love a Good "Good Book" thread

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
1776 is good. I am going to pull that one out and read it again at some point.

I just started Battle Cry of Freedom last night by McPherson. I kinda want to get the whole Oxford American History now.

Another good book I let someone borrow and now I don't have it any more was Eagles and Empire which is a study of the Mexican American War.

bloomies

Kelly Slater status
Sep 27, 2008
This new format is killing me I can't seem to get the right code for posting images.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bloodlands, good read that explains some of the ethnic problems pertaining to Ukraine presently and Empire Of Necessity, by Greg Grandin.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
NadoSucks said:
Blood Meridian.
Although Cormac MacCarthy might be a little brainy for somma you mouthbreathers.....
I've wanted to read this, but is it as depressing as The Road?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
no, it's not depressing
it's violent as sh*t, but it's not depression
read it - it's great
cowabunga
rg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Blood Meridian is so fvcking amazing!

A lot of it is written in blank verse.

The diction is BEAUTIFUL!

The Judge reminded me of BI, minus the murdering pedophile part.

jakebarret

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 28, 2006
Paddling away from you
Blood Meridian....Imagine these guys coming to torture you in ways you cannot fathom.....
"A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

chuzzlewit

OTF status
Feb 15, 2014
this one centers me when i'm feeling out of whack.

[ [img:center]http://forum.surfermag.com/photopost/data/505/medium/asca.jpg[/img]

this one knocks me out of whack.

[img:center] http://forum.surfermag.com/photopost/data/505/medium/pnation.jpg[/img]

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
oh, and catch-22 is the best book i've ever read
and ever since reading that, i've been searching for a book that good
and haven't found it
so, make catch-22 the last book you read, so it doesn't make the books you read after it suck
cowabunga
rg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i got about half way through it, got bored and haven't picked it up since...

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
Random Guy said:
oh, and catch-22 is the best book i've ever read
and ever since reading that, i've been searching for a book that good
and haven't found it
so, make catch-22 the last book you read, so it doesn't make the books you read after it suck
cowabunga
rg
q's A-listers:

"One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest" Keesey
"Slaughterhouse 5" Vonnegut
"Garden of Eden" Hemmingway
"Franny and Zooey" Salinger
"Brief Interviews With Hideous Men" Wallace
"Hunger" Hamsun
"Skinny Legs & All" Robbins

Reactions: Random Guy

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Fuller said:
heddiyup said:
I had no idea that you people read books. Why is the rest of the forum discussion so dumb?
All that readin' is tiring, we get the energy back by throwing feces at each other here on the 'erbb.
You gotta read something while producing the poo worth flinging.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Tijuana Straights by Kem Nunn. Picked it up at a friend's shack at K55 2 weeks ago to read between sessions. Finished it last night. Good read. Fiction and takes place in IB/Tijuana and a cool story for anyone that knows the area. Plus, it's got some surfing too.

Reactions: crustBrother