I love a Good "Good Book" thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Recently read and loved the The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Game of Thrones-ish, but with an anti-hero you just have to root for, despite (or because of) just how gnarly and ruthless he is. Fun reads

Read the entire "Change" series...Some interesting ideas and imagination, but also kind of cheesy. overall enjoyed them I guess, if you're in to fantasy and post apocalyptic stuff.

Just read Khaled Hosseini's most recent: "And The Mountains Echoed"...snooze. Come on Khaled, it's like you write the same story over and over again. Maybe I'm just not that subtle. But we get it, poor Afghan kid, extended family, some early tragedy, then everyone sort of reconnects decades later with a few crazy coincidences. Mix in some homosexuality, rinse, and repeat..

About half way through "The Dog Stars"...another post apocalyptic journey, really enjoying it. You will too if you like apocalypses, violence, nature, guns, planes, and loyal dogs.

Love all of Hiassen's books. I think Bad Monkey was most recent? they're all blast.

Latest Jack Reacher was ok, not as good as some of the earlier installments...

Latest installment in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales was ok, not as good or gnarly as the earlier books, but still good. I really love all of that medieval warfare and fantasy stuff.

Also just read "The Abominable" as recommended on one of these threads. Also a cool read. Mt Everest meets The Bourne books

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i'm reading Infinite Jest now.
some sentences go on for pages, and then i have to reread the sentence, because i'm just like, huh?
but other parts of it are great

i'll suggest an off beat thing called a prayer for owen meaney, by the guy who wrote that one that was a movie with glenn close and robin williams, and cider house rules. that was a really entertaining book
i get all my book recommendations from the erbb
cowabunga
rg

• Wow
Reactions: bluengreen

DramaDairy

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 16, 2012
This was one of those books that could've been condensed by least a third, but some interesting takes on American history, nonetheless.

[img:center]http://www.colinwoodard.com/sitebuilder/images/cover._American_Nations-576x860.jpg[/img]

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
this series looks killer! thanks for my reading list for the next several weeks

mapache

Phil Edwards status
Nov 27, 2012
subtropical jungles
i just finished TOWNIE by andres dubus III very salty highly entertaining read.

my neighbor in mex wrote dog stars, i haven't read it but it got great reviews, post apocalyptic zombies in colorado with bush pilots n stuff

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
DramaDairy said:
This was one of those books that could've been condensed by least a third, but some interesting takes on American history, nonetheless.

[img:center]http://www.colinwoodard.com/sitebuilder/images/cover._American_Nations-576x860.jpg[/img]
Just bought this. Thanks!

HeyyNow

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 25, 2013

Started reading this last night. I was laughing out loud. Kept thinking about ElOgro.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Random Guy said:
i'm reading Infinite Jest now.
some sentences go on for pages, and then i have to reread the sentence, because i'm just like, huh?
but other parts of it are great
How are the footnotes? That's one that's on my list to read, but it sounds like a major undertaking (and looks like one too... lot of pages.)

Reactions: Aruka

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
"Thai Stick" by Peter Maguire

AND ITS SURFING RELATED!

about surf culture's role in the late 60s early 70s pot trade, centered in Thailand.

" a billion dollar trade being run by stoned amateurs"

If you surf and/or have ever smoked pot, you wont be able to put it down.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Read James Michener's Hawaii recently. Great book.

Needed a break after blowing through that :roflmao: so relaxed with a couple Ed McBain and Donald Westlake crime novels.

Followed that up with the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. Outstanding book, especially growing up through the whole computer age. Very well written. Jobs came off as obviously brilliant but also as a complete sociopath.

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King was also good.

Got a ton of books still stacked up from last few library book fairs (bag for $1) so have my work cut out for me...

Reactions: Aruka

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
Surfdog said:

In 1933, following U.S. diplomatic recognition of the Soviet Union, he spent six weeks in Moscow as a performer and goodwill ambassador.[6] His tour was a huge success. Harpo's name was transliterated into Russian, using the Cyrillic alphabet, as XАРПО МAРКС, and was billed as such during his Soviet Union appearances. Harpo, having no knowledge of Russian, pronounced it as 'Exapno Mapcase'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpo_Marx