I love a Good "Good Book" thread

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
McCarthy was very good but after four or five books I found him to be a bit of a one-trick pony, and very good at that thing.

Been reading mostly perfume related non-fiction and recently have read:

The Secret of Scent by Luca Turin. It's OK, he's an interesting dude but not a great writer. It's about how we smell, his new and unverified theory of it, and some chemistry related to perfume.

Perfume: The Alchemy of Scent by Jean-Claude Ellena. Small, good book by one of the most highly respected perfumers. Basically outlines how he works, and with which chemicals. I'm sure he's keeping some secrets.

The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr. Really good book. Follows Jean-Claude Ellena (see above) and Sarah Jessica Parker through their very different worlds of perfumery. He takes a job as in house perfumer at Hermes, she works with a marketing company to develop her first perfume. Fascinating world.

In the middle of my first fiction in a while: Chandler Burr's You or Someone Like You. Very "LA" circa mid-2000s. Enjoying it so far.

Also in the middle of Smellosophy: What the Nose Tells the Mind by A.S. Barwich. It's OK so far. Feels like a PhD dissertation expanded upon.

Reactions: bluengreen

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
McCarthy was very good but after four or five books I found him to be a bit of a one-trick pony, and very good at that thing.

Been reading mostly perfume related non-fiction and recently have read:

The Secret of Scent by Luca Turin. It's OK, he's an interesting dude but not a great writer. It's about how we smell, his new and unverified theory of it, and some chemistry related to perfume.

Perfume: The Alchemy of Scent by Jean-Claude Ellena. Small, good book by one of the most highly respected perfumers. Basically outlines how he works, and with which chemicals. I'm sure he's keeping some secrets.

The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr. Really good book. Follows Jean-Claude Ellena (see above) and Sarah Jessica Parker through their very different worlds of perfumery. He takes a job as in house perfumer at Hermes, she works with a marketing company to develop her first perfume. Fascinating world.

In the middle of my first fiction in a while: Chandler Burr's You or Someone Like You. Very "LA" circa mid-2000s. Enjoying it so far.

Also in the middle of Smellosophy: What the Nose Tells the Mind by A.S. Barwich. It's OK so far. Feels like a PhD dissertation expanded upon.
since they came up today…

59E682BB-A2AB-4B09-8A47-B853E6C7B682.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: ElOgro

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'm circling back to the second half of Color of Law and inching through Crying in H Mart because it was on the top of the stack of books at the work library next to my desk.

Aug 2, 2006
If you’re into nonfiction, “The boys in the boat” by Daniel James Brown is excellent. It takes place in the Great Depression and centers around a rowing crew from Washington State battling their way to Berlin for the 1936 Olympics. Tremendous grit.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Reactions: Aruka

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I'm finally reading The Sex Lives of Cannibals. Pretty entertaining and funny so far and for anyone who has spent time or visitied any of the more remote islands in the Pacific, much of it rings true.

Reactions: Random Guy

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Warlight by Michael Ondaatje....The collected works of Billy the Kid by Ondaajte for the adventurous