I love a Good "Good Book" thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That passage about the charging apaches wearing all of the various and gruesomely surreal clothing they had stolen from their victims, covered in blood…some nervy Schitt

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
These two are living on my nightstand right now. Making more progress on the first. 2nd is a bit denser.

Equal parts biography, musicology, and cultural history, Dilla Time chronicles the life and legacy of J Dilla, a musical genius who transformed the sound of popular music for the twenty-first century.

The epic novel from the Man Booker Prize-winning author of A Brief History of Seven Killings

In the stunning first novel in Marlon James's Dark Star trilogy, myth, fantasy, and history come together to explore what happens when a mercenary is hired to find a missing child.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
currently re-reading this one...

1653060375441.png

really, really, really good book

its about the fastest run through the grand, sure, but its also about the entire history of the colorado river

totally reminds me of this book

1653060618830.png

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
These two are living on my nightstand right now. Making more progress on the first. 2nd is a bit denser.

Equal parts biography, musicology, and cultural history, Dilla Time chronicles the life and legacy of J Dilla, a musical genius who transformed the sound of popular music for the twenty-first century.

The epic novel from the Man Booker Prize-winning author of A Brief History of Seven Killings

In the stunning first novel in Marlon James's Dark Star trilogy, myth, fantasy, and history come together to explore what happens when a mercenary is hired to find a missing child.
so this is a sequel to that wild Jamaican gangster/CIA/romance/social critique novel written in beautiful but at times impenetrable Jamaican patios?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
so this is a sequel to that wild Jamaican gangster/CIA/romance/social critique novel written in beautiful but at times impenetrable Jamaican patios?

Sounds like this is the first in a series.
It is indeed a little difficult to thread, but I haven't really run into any patois yet.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ohhh I see what you were saying I mis read that. Same author as “Seven Killings” but a new trilogy unrelated to the 7 killings book.
Seven killings, it’s a wild read. Really thick patois and slang and bob marley and the cia and insane Jamaican gangster violence and beautiful doomed hookers. It’s got it all, even if I could only understand every 3rd sentence :foreheadslap:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Don't know if it was mentioned but just read, 'The Drop'. Thad Ziolkowski
Decent read a good overview of addiction. Some of his vocabulary is a bit erudite but I'll give that a pass.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Loved that one. Been reading some of his earlier travel stuff and its good but I actually think his later works might be better. @Autoprax do you have an opinion on that take?
I've read everything. I love his prose.

I really liked Dark Star Safari. That is my favorite of his more recent travel books. Though it's probably not that recent.

I like to listen to recorded versions when I am in my car. It feels like I am traveling.

Bali Idiot is writing his memoir.

Can't wait to read it.

Reactions: Subway and Aruka

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Don't know if it was mentioned but just read, 'The Drop'. Thad Ziolkowski
Decent read a good overview of addiction. Some of his vocabulary is a bit erudite but I'll give that a pass.

Interesting writing style, I'm getting used to it in the preview on Google books. Erudite is the first word I've had to look up in a while, which by definition made me feel stupid :LOL:

Edit: bought and sunk in, cool book

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've read everything. I love his prose.

I really liked Dark Star Safari. That is my favorite of his more recent travel books. Though it's probably not that recent.

I like to listen to recorded versions when I am in my car. It feels like I am traveling.

Bali Idiot is writing his memoir.

Can't wait to read it.
Dark star safari is the first one i read and i think it is also my favorite so far. The mexico one was great too. I am reading the railway bazaar, train through Asia now and while it is good it hasnt quite sucked me in the way some of the others have.