HPSB 2034

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The most common alt-tech the CT guys would try would be EPS/Epoxy and that build definitely has its drawbacks. Everyone has tried to temper its perceived shortcomings with every imaginable combination of stringers/no stringers/composite stringers, Spine-Tek's, Exo Flex's, carbon strips etc., but the base foam has a feeling a lot of people don't like, especially when the CT lucks into good waves. CT'ers aren't going to waste too much time testing EPS based borts when events hopefully luck into decent waves in the event window.

I can't see a shaper pushing one of their riders onto the EPS based alt-techs since it's probably more expensive and time consuming for the the factory and with the potential reject rate it doesn't make much sense. For borts that may go good in glassy small waves, where's the incentive to make any in an alternative construction?

With something like Varial, there's not enough upside for a shaper to make a quiver out of them, since one of their big attributes is that they feel like PU and don't lose their pop. CT'ers don't care about borts losing their pop. If it's a magic one, they're putting it on ice and they're usually onto the next batch with subtle tweaks and putting another "magic one" on ice. Why go with a more expensive tech that's "PU-esque" when they can more cheaply and efficiently build a regular PU?

A friend who's worked at CI forever told me that when Connor was riding Varials and liked them, Mike Walter at someone's (rhymes with mitt) request, talked him out of ordering more saying they were too expensive and stinky to shape for his bort deal with CI.

Feb 18, 2024
It’s all about the application of the finish, no matter the type of finish- more important than the type of finish.

trivia time.
I just took these pics. Can you guess approx age of these? All have nitro finish

Two are two years apart, the third is ~30 years newer. All player/natural wear n tear.no fake $h!tView attachment 175644

View attachment 175645

View attachment 175646
First two look early 70s 335 and 330 are some of my favorite guitars love those p90s

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
First two look early 70s 335 and 330 are some of my favorite guitars love those p90s
60 ES-345, 62 ES-330 n 88 (or 89) MIJ LP. The LP is actually nitro over poly, N it’s a tone monster. P90s are my favorite for sure

Edit: added cats in guitar case pic fur maximum Tiger shreds. Yes… one has a Dr Evil situation (came like that as a kitten)IMG_7255.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021
My quiver is half standard pu and half eps/epoxy. I weigh 95kg and in my experience the eps/epoxy builds are stronger and live a fair bit longer than the many pu builds I have had over the years. If I were a pro I would love to have a whole quiver in pu and glassed light and get constant replacements every time I snapped a board or it started feeling dull. In the real world I can’t afford that and enjoy eps construction for my small wave and daily driver boards and pu for good and big waves. Anyway just a different angle on what the pros ride vs average joes.

Oct 5, 2021
I also genuinely like the feel of a light eps board in clean conditions but yeah they aren’t as good in choppy wind affected waves as a pu.

Reactions: jkb

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My quiver is half standard pu and half eps/epoxy. I weigh 95kg and in my experience the eps/epoxy builds are stronger and live a fair bit longer than the many pu builds I have had over the years. If I were a pro I would love to have a whole quiver in pu and glassed light and get constant replacements every time I snapped a board or it started feeling dull. In the real world I can’t afford that and enjoy eps construction for my small wave and daily driver boards and pu for good and big waves. Anyway just a different angle on what the pros ride vs average joes.

Reactions: oeste858

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It could be that the pros don't like the durability factor of high tech EPS / Epoxy boards too.
I think that may be correct. Their borts are glassed light and get foot-wells really quickly. I've heard and read that a lot of pros like the wells, saying it gives them a more connected feeling and a reference point for their front foot. That's a partial reason a few (Kelly, JJF) played around with concave decks to mimic that feel.

Reactions: Leonardo

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I think that may be correct. Their borts are glassed light and get foot-wells really quickly. I've heard and read that a lot of pros like the wells, saying it gives them a more connected feeling and a reference point for their front foot. That's a partial reason a few (Kelly, JJF) played around with concave decks to mimic that feel.
I've heard that some get foot wells shaped in.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
There's plenty of board builders doing light, strong, durable PU glassing these days

Pyzel/Harborside Glassing, Arakawa/Murray Glassing, Stamps all come to mind

pu isn't "outdated tech" IMO. it's just dependable

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
There's plenty of board builders doing light, strong, durable PU glassing these days

Pyzel/Harborside Glassing, Arakawa/Murray Glassing, Stamps all come to mind

pu isn't "outdated tech" IMO. it's just dependable
Horses for courses. PU but I also like alt builds for smaller weaker waves. Personal preference. YMMV

One issue I’ve had with pu/pe the last 5-8 years, is busting out fin boxes. Has happened with both FCS and Futures boxes on maybe 6 boars from different shapers and CA/HI glass shops, including a Pyzel Oceanside. Mostly but not all twins. Haven’t had that problem with denser foam such as Varial or XTR.