HPSB 2034

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Varial is a great alt tech but when you aren’t worried about long term keepers and storing them in your car while you’re at work, it’s an unneeded cost that pros probably don’t give a chit about.

that said, Will Aliotti rides varial foam seemingly exclusively. Meeks, when he posts here, shared Varial builds for his team riders.

I never bothered with any other alt tech. Most go looking for problems not needing to be solved, imo.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
yeah, I just know as a self-professed 'compulsive' board-orderer, ordering PU allows me to try different shapes and tweak dims on existing designs I like without breaking the bank too much. I'm selling boards to fund new ones anyways, so why pay the premium for an alt construction. but that's just me

Reactions: slipped_disc

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Is EPS/Epoxy more durable?

I mean in the long run?

I like to ice magic boards like the pros do- surf them then put them under the house.

I have 5, 6, 10 year old PU/PE's that still surf unreal and look great, as long as you fix the dings.

Small data sample but the one 5 yr old FW (Cymatic) is pretty much fit for landfill and nothing more.

Any water ingress and they are fcuked and the glass yellows like a bitch.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Varial is a great alt tech but when you aren’t worried about long term keepers and storing them in your car while you’re at work, it’s an unneeded cost that pros probably don’t give a chit about.

that said, Will Aliotti rides varial foam seemingly exclusively. Meeks, when he posts here, shared Varial builds for his team riders.

I never bothered with any other alt tech. Most go looking for problems not needing to be solved, imo.
Agreed - look at Shane Dorian's gun for the 2023 Eddie. It was something like a 10 year old (¿older? ¿younger?) Varial board shaped by Carper. White board with a red tail dip.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Firm PU fan here, after a 3-4 year EPS only stint starting around 2008.

The only thing that EPS is better for is a lively feeling in small waves - shoulder high or below.
- It doesn't last longer
- Dings in the surf = at least a week of draining water out of a board
- Any chop or texture? I hope you like bouncing around

Perhaps I'm cynical, but most of the EPS "alt tech" seems like a value-add marketing tool to make a profit of Asian-made, US/Oz labelled shapers - - - eg. JS, DHD, ...Lost.

I still think the best option (if you can get it) is stringered PU/epoxy.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Can this be done with shape/contours alone? Venturi effect? Adding air intake to the equation?
Interestingly back in the late 90's when I was a kid, the now owner of a certain Goleta surf shop let me try a board he had cut two angled slots into the deck on either side of the stringer as an air intake. Was good peaky depressions and I remember it working really well. Not sure if it had anything to do with the speed holes but I got some good waves on it and it felt super fast. Might have just been that I was used to riding my 5'8" Blue Shade at the time that may or may not have had a symmetrical nose.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Interestingly back in the late 90's when I was a kid, the now owner of a certain Goleta surf shop let me try a board he had cut two angled slots into the deck on either side of the stringer as an air intake. Was good peaky depressions and I remember it working really well. Not sure if it had anything to do with the speed holes but I got some good waves on it and it felt super fast. Might have just been that I was used to riding my 5'8" Blue Shade at the time that may or may not have had a symmetrical nose.
My nose has been broken a few times so it’s nowhere near symmetrical.…

…wait are we still talking about surfboards?

Reactions: motosurf

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
One issue I’ve had with pu/pe the last 5-8 years, is busting out fin boxes. Has happened with both FCS and Futures boxes on maybe 6 boars from different shapers and CA/HI glass shops, including a Pyzel Oceanside. Mostly but not all twins. Haven’t had that problem with denser foam such as Varial or XTR.
When you're at a rocky spot it will help to put the fins up in the water as you're getting out/in and use the board to balance your footing.

Or just hold it by one rail.

You'll save your fins that way.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I think we're all bagging on PU as an ancient tech, when in reality the quality of foam and the plugs have all steadily improved over the past decade+. Proper glassing techniques and schedules seem more ubiquitous as well. On average, my PU boards in 2024 are vastly superior to those that I had 10-15 years ago.

As a comparison, look at residential construction. Same materials as 30 years ago. But small improvements in those materials (wood ----> engineered wood) and technique (how to properly air-seal a building, install rain screens, etc.), and you can make a bombproof house.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Agreed - look at Shane Dorian's gun for the 2023 Eddie. It was something like a 10 year old (¿older? ¿younger?) Varial board shaped by Carper. White board with a red tail dip.
Link to Shane surfing it at Jaws.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
As a board builder I think one aspect of pu/pe construction, that is to it's benefit, is ease and speed of construction, and low cost. As far as I know there is no lower cost combination of materials. That combined with it's performance makes it a winner. Especially for pros who go through, what, 20 boards a year?

Still, I think it's sad that so many of you are so "settled" and dismiss the possibilty of advancements. Again, I look at yacht design and to a lesser extent ski/snowboard construction (less because I'm not familiar with the process). They are all using epoxy, and various combinations of composite materials. However, when I gave a quick look at ski/snowboard contruction I was pleasantly surprised to find that most (if not all?) use wood cores. Wood is good.

I gave up on pu/pe almost two decades ago because my last few pu/pe boards just got chewed up in a season. One was a cratered mess after a couple sessions. I guess I have a bony butt and knees, and I stomp around too much? That, and at the time I was building boards in the bedroom of our condo. I tried once to use polyester (for a gloss coat) and my wife freaked out and my neighbors were asking what the smell was. Epoxy is without a doubt more environmentally friendly, lower VOCs and more durable.

As someone said above, a good combination is pu blank with epoxy glassing. I've done a few of those. More denting and not as light as EPS, but the same damping as pu/pe

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not to derail the convo, but that is fucking epic. Props to you if you're still married to the same woman.
The wife put up with a lot.The master bedroom was a workshop. We slept in a loft bed in the living room (high ceilings). I tried to work when the neighbors weren't home. No power planer. All hand sanding. Epoxy glassing has very little odor and very little waste. Most of the shortboards I made I glassed on top of a large work table so no drips on the carpet. They must have thought I was anal retentive about cleaning because I was always running the vacuum cleaner.

• Love
Reactions: slipped_disc

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Still, I think it's sad that so many of you are so "settled" and dismiss the possibilty of advancements.
I don't think that is the case.

Is there anyone on here who hasn't tried at least EPS/Epoxy?

All these waves of alt-tech have now washed through the culture and been thoroughly tried and tested.

They all have drawbacks as well as advantages and those drawbacks have meant most people, including at the elite levels of the sport, have gone back to PU/PE.

For me the drawbacks are: cost, difficulty of repair, and unreliable handling especially in bumpy, or big surf.

I still have a little assym fishy thing in EPS/Epoxy which flies in small, weak, glassy surf- but to be honest, I only ride it a few times a year.
Mostly those small, weak, glassy days are rock fishing days for me.