HPSB 2034

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm watching the semi's with Ethan and Crosby and their borts look so dialed-in. I was thinking how different would their borts look in 10 years? I wonder if there will be some seismic shift in design or just subtle changes like we've had for the last 43 years.

Reactions: JDJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm watching the semi's with Ethan and Crosby and their borts look so dialed-in. I was thinking how different would their borts look in 10 years? I wonder if there will be some seismic shift in design or just subtle changes like we've had for the last 43 years.
There's really nowhere to go.

Every possibility has basically been explored.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I would expect there will be some advances in materials and ways flex is manipulated, but the overall shape would look very similar to what we're seeing today.

I've heard this carbon leaf spring idea from Campbell Designed has some merit. I liked the CI Spine-Tek sensation and this takes the idea at makes it more customizable.

Reactions: slipped_disc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The way I see it is that all spray exiting the board is unharnessed energy that can possibly be redirected to producing more speed.

If the energy in spray (that goes into the air) can be directed into the water it would result in more speed.

Any true revolution in design would have to include a quantum leap in the ability to generate speed.

Im thinking of a foil board/planing hull hybrid. Something like a low riding foil.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
The new 2034 lostfirewirespinething model represents a groundbreaking approach to creative surf craft engineering.

By taking the typical short, wide surfboards ridden by everyone for all of time up to this point, and elongating them, pulling in the noses and tails, our surf craft artists are able to holistically create wave energy experience mediums which are not only easy to paddle but also turn with power you don’t get from your everyday asym soft top.

Jan 11, 2022
There will 100% be advancements. I’m sure they thought they were at the pinnacle in the 90s too…

There’s tons of problems with today’s boards. Ding way too easy. Delam, needing wax, foam in general, snapping leashes, leash drag, shark deterrent (sounds weird by why couldn’t the sharkbanz thing be in a board), figuring out volume (maybe ability to weigh down or lighten a board up for a slight range in volume). We’re all searching for a one board that can handle ripples to pipeline, and we buy 5 one board quiver style boards instead of one for each wave.

Hopefully we don’t advance too much and all ride electric boards or something dumb, but there are plenty areas to improve and still keep the core surfing element. I think materials will be the major advancement vs shapes. Shapes with the same materials would be minor improvements as I’m sure we’ve tested most major limits to a surfboard shape at this point.

Reactions: One-Off

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Ten years ago, 2014: Gabriel Medina won his first world title on a similar (style of) board. Of course it wasn't just one board, but the style was similar to today. Squash tail thruster for most of the season, round pin at Pipe. Notably, and as you all might recall, he won it at Pipe. Julian Wilson got 2nd. All their comp boards were thrusters.
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 1.31.54 PM.png

Twenty years ago: Andy Irons won his third World Title. Parko came in second. Similar style board, just longer. Here he is in France, beating Bruce. Squash tail thruster for most of the season, round-pins when it counted. All thrusters.

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 1.37.25 PM.png

Thirty years ago: Kelly Slater won his first world title. No need to show you pictures. He was on a glass slipper. Thrusters.

Point being: For thirty years, we've made incremental movements and will still do this for another 10 years. Boards in 10 years will be VERY similar to today's boards, but better. And that's a good thing. Enjoy the ride!

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I’d bet that the innovation will come not in shapes or anything like that, but measurements and the ability to fine tune them. Flex is already moving in that direction with different size strips for CI. It sounds like Campbell surfboards have an even better handle on that right now.

rail shapes would be a worthy area to dimensionalize. Especially if online board orders become more popular/surf shops die.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and ChaseTMP

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
For now we’ll have to be satisfied with different color carbon strips (which aesthetically is an improvement I guess).
:roflmao:

I have a step up coming soon that is very similar to past boards and just ordered a custom of a board first made in 2004 or so for Bobby. I ordered it with glass-ons. I also ordered an OG Flyer. How old is that design?! Maybe I'm going backwards?

Reactions: slipped_disc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
One thing I have noticed is that both Ethan and Griffin appear to ride slightly longer equipment than some others on tour. I get the feeling that we reached peak stubbiness a couple years ago and that board lengths are increasing slightly again. I have no evidence to back this up it's just a hunch based on watching the contests this year.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
One thing I have noticed is that both Ethan and Griffin appear to ride slightly longer equipment than some others on tour. I get the feeling that we reached peak stubbiness a couple years ago and that board lengths are increasing slightly again. I have no evidence to back this up it's just a hunch based on watching the contests this year.
Agreed. If only to will the longer board trend into existence.

On the free surf side you’ve got Harry and Creed messing with longer gear. Jai Glindeman hopped on a longer thruster in that Pyzel test a while back. Parker Coffin also rides surprisingly long boards for his height.

on the comp side, those guys you mentioned. I’m pretty sure Jack was on a 6’8” at Sunset too which was surprisingly long.

the shapers just need to get with this (old)trend!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022
Just because it has 3 fins doesn’t mean we haven’t improved or at least created options.

p/u only to now:
P/u
Eps
varial
Xtr
Carbon
Stringerless
Carbon stringers

id say p/u vs eps is a big change. I’m an eps hater and prefer p/u, but some people love it and definitely not the same feel

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
If p/u didn't have such a relatively short life expectancy for a DD (IMHO) I would have never looked elsewhere. My old bort routine (prior to my bro deals at cost ending a more then a decade ago) of 5-7 new borts a year had to stop according to my wife and that's when I started looking at XTR and Varial. In my mind, Varial, is the best bang for the buck IMO, heat stability, doesn't suck water, flex feels like p/u and the added bonus, unless it's their carbon construction, you can remove pressure dents pretty easily without compromising the integrity of the bort. Dark Arts is lighter and while I haven't dinged a bort in years, I'd be bummed if I was on a trip and had to worry about a potential small ding and/or snackle sucking water at their cost.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If p/u didn't have such a relatively short life expectancy for a DD (IMHO) I would have never looked elsewhere. My old bort routine (prior to my bro deals at cost ending a more then a decade ago) of 5-7 new borts a year had to stop according to my wife and that's when I started looking at XTR and Varial. In my mind, Varial, is the best bang for the buck IMO, heat stability, doesn't suck water, flex feels like p/u and the added bonus, unless it's their carbon construction, you can remove pressure dents pretty easily without compromising the integrity of the bort. Dark Arts is lighter and while I haven't dinged a bort in years, I'd be bummed if I was on a trip and had to worry about a potential small ding and/or snackle sucking water at their cost.
Dark Arts lam with PU blank.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Couldn't you just put a sticker over it or do a temporary repair with solarez (I assume they have epoxy)?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
There really isn't much left to improve. Perhaps some computer and carbon fiber means to better harness and control flex and twist factors. We can already make boards so light that they become too light. Perhaps some sort of light, strong and consistent blank material or molding process so boards can be super repeatable and become more dialed in. Robotic shaping machines again to get the boards super consistent and make super fine adjustments on custom boards possible without the human touch.

More than anything today, we need better surfers. The boards are great but the average surfer SUCKS more than ever. The average surfer today doesn't even try high performance equipment. I would have been fucking embarrassed to ride a longboard, midlength or foamy in my teens 20s or 30s. Would have gotten laughed out of the water and shut out at the peak. Not today's surfers. Bunch of fukking donkeys clogging up the lineup using lots of extra foam to boost wave counts and mask their total lack of ability.