HPSB 2034

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Mate, we've had tons and tons of innovation in materials and that will continue.

I had a full carbon tail flex-tail, V-stringered, custom flex board almost 2 decades ago.

I think we are asking the wrong question.

Why, decades after all these materials have been utilised are the elite still riding PU/PE for the foreseeable future?

3 fins, pointy nose, similar plan shape.

Reactions: Hazrus

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I dont give a sh!t about pressure dings. Just that board keeps its livelyness.
I actually love pressure dings. Feel way more stable when I step on a pressure ding. I'd even say that brand new boards kinda suck in the way that they don't have pressure dings.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think we are asking the wrong question.

Why, decades after all these materials have been utilised are the elite still riding PU/PE for the foreseeable future?
All around reliability and ease of construction.

It always feels "right" and thus removes a variable.

Even when guys retire from pro level surfing they stay with PU. For a really good reason.

Because it's Ol' Reliable.

Whatever happened to John John and Dark Farts?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Foiling is not surfing mate- it's a different thing.

I'll take physics over mindset any day of the week.

To me surfing is riding waves. If they’re foiling on a wave it’s surfing.

I admit readily I am no scientist. I’ve never formally studied physics. But a quick google tells me Archimedes speaks to displacement of a resting object in water. Do you think that the principle in play when an AC 75 is going 45 knots is displacement?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
No.

We also have to paddle into waves and around the line-up.

Surfing is subject to both hydrostatic and hydrodynamic principles.

Unlike foiling, unlike yacht racing, unlike tow surfing.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
:roflmao:

I have a step up coming soon that is very similar to past boards and just ordered a custom of a board first made in 2004 or so for Bobby. I ordered it with glass-ons. I also ordered an OG Flyer. How old is that design?! Maybe I'm going backwards?
I have been eyeing an OG flyer!

Reactions: sh3

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I think materials are the next major innovation to be had. Some sort of a shrink wrap glassing rather than manual layering glass, saturating, sanding and hot coat would significantly reduce cost.

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Timmy Patterson used the file off an old design for SITD and made it to the final 4.

We are largely talking about matters of taste, not objective performance.
Probably.

So above all, is it all about rocker?

Would be interesting seeing the rockers of all the boards that made it to the final in each episode.

Lay the files over each other and see how they are balanced.

Would they be all over the place or trend towards 1 style of the 4 types of rocker?

Then compare to previous episodes.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I wonder if anyone has tried arranging mini-foils in place of traditional fins. I remember seeing fins 15 years ago that had a little foil on them to create lift but how about a whole board built on the idea of being free of its traditional rails and riding on three or four mini-foils?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I wonder if anyone has tried arranging mini-foils in place of traditional fins. I remember seeing fins 15 years ago that had a little foil on them to create lift but how about a whole board built on the idea of being free of its traditional rails and riding on three or four mini-foils?
A problem that would have to be addressed is when you lean over. Let’s say you have 3 foil fins. If all are fixed and at similar depths then when you lean over 1 or more will be out of the water.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
A problem that would have to be addressed is when you lean over. Let’s say you have 3 foil fins. If all are fixed and at similar depths then when you lean over 1 or more will be out of the water.
Not if the mini-foils are pushed out to the rails. Think of a traditional thruster or quad setup except perhaps the front foils would be closer to your front foot.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I do LMAO when bro-brahs say "it's muh-terials, thats where the innovation will come from!"

Where da fcuk you been for the last 2 decades?

We've had all kinds of core materials- from differing blends of EPS, PU, no core at all. Every different arrangement of centre and parabolic stringer you can imagine of all differing types of material.

All kinds of materials wrapping those cores from balsa, high density foams, every kind of plastic material mankind has devised, every type of glassing material you can imagine from fibreglass to hemp, flax, carbon, wool, wood, even metals, now basalt etc etc.
Vag bagging, resin infusions, differing types of expoxies, etc etc.

For a pissant little cottage industry there's been an incredible amount of materials innovation.

You think there is some incredible new material that hasn't been trialed yet?

Go read the periodic table and tell me what it is.

Yet here we are with the state of the art still centre stringered PU/PE.

Those with long memories might recall Greg Loehr loudly and repeatedly claiming (20 years or so ago) anyone still making PU/PE boards would be a hobbyist mowing lawns for a living.

Last edited:
Reactions: GromsDad and Hazrus