How to do a cutback. Tips???

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Average Joe never gets his foot back far enough on the tail block to do a turn like that and a good percentage have their trac pad too far up on the board to even give them a chance.
Instead of telling us how other people do it wrong, how about showing us how or telling us how you do it. Talk is cheap while standing on the beach.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think for most surfers one of the big problems we have with getting a turn even remotely close to the one pictured above is we don't get the upper body rotation needed for such a complete turn.

Like, look at how far around his right arm is. I never get my right arm far enough around like this. His left arm is touching the water and it's like he's pivoting around it. His head is pointed towards the nose of his board. He's fully committed.

Anyone got the full sequence? It's such a good shot.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I think for most surfers one of the big problems we have with getting a turn even remotely close to the one pictured above is we don't get the upper body rotation needed for such a complete turn.

Like, look at how far around his right arm is. I never get my right arm far enough around like this. His left arm is touching the water and it's like he's pivoting around it. His head is pointed towards the nose of his board. He's fully committed.

Anyone got the full sequence? It's such a good shot.
Working with my son when he was younger one of the hardest things to teach is to get the head and shoulders looking to where you're going to and not where you've been. Most surfers watch their spray and the resulting cutback resembles slamming on the brakes rather than a proper wrap. Its a bad habit and a tough one to break.

If you want to learn perfect technique there are three surfers to watch: Tom Curren, Taylor Knox and Joel Parkinson. Nobody does more fundamentally perfect cutties than these three.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Like, look at how far around his right arm is. I never get my right arm far enough around like this.
Same.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
More of a slash than a cutback, eh? Either way it's a sick fuggin turn.
It looks like a very tight roundhouse cutback to me.

There's no sequence so we'll probs never know what happened.

Instead of telling us how other people do it wrong, how about showing us how or telling us how you do it. Talk is cheap while standing on the beach.
It's not complicated.

First you need a board that works for you because you need confident footing because you have to commit fully and you have to be loose. The latter comes from the former.

If you don't have the above covered, don't continue to step 2, because it's not gonna work.

You are looking to return to the area of the wave that has the most usable energy.

IMHO, depending on the wave, the goal should always be a full roundhouse cutty. Around and up to the lip.

If you're trying to get there, your trailing arm will naturally become your leading arm.

Reactions: santacruzin

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have two problems. One is we get really good waves so rarely, or I do, and when the crowds are bad it’s hard to get a wave, so that when I get a good one I’ll hold back a little because I don’t want to blow it.

The second problem I have is I tend not to go for the big rebound in the foam because I’m worried about trying to make some measly little inside section.

Yesterday the waves were so good it didn’t matter what my cut back was like because I was just having too much fun.

Today was much smaller but a really cute 20 something girl told me, “You surf really stylish on that board.” :love::love::love:

Between the two days, my week was made. Deo gratias!

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
if u see a pic or video of a great cutback, the surfer was going into it with a ton of speed
try your cutback closer to the pocket, in a steeper part of the wave
less rail to dig that way
and dont twist your whole torso back around til u are halfway thru the turn (to avoid digging rail)
the layback turn is an attempt to avoid a rail dig
try starting it like that but switch to the lay forward halfway thru

Last edited: