How to do a cutback. Tips???

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Like, look at how far around his right arm is. I never get my right arm far enough around like this. His left arm is touching the water and it's like he's pivoting around it. His head is pointed towards the nose of his board. He's fully committed.
the right arm leading that sh!t , what a hack!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Working with my son when he was younger one of the hardest things to teach is to get the head and shoulders looking to where you're going to and not where you've been. Most surfers watch their spray and the resulting cutback resembles slamming on the brakes rather than a proper wrap. Its a bad habit and a tough one to break.
You mean like this? I can see how that fucs up this cutback.
BestIEverSaw-Andy-Irons-by-Pat-Stacy-PT8W5612.jpg

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I remember an interview w Ben Aipa: he was saying how you need to keep your trailing arm down, not up in the air above your head. The higher your back arm, the more likely you are to dig rail.

Plus, it looks better.
You have to start it with your trailing arm high enough to set it on rail then follow through from below so you don't bog the rail and get pitched off.
1658365567164.png

Like Casa said, you also have to be loose-enough to let the torso motion transfer through to your hips.

Now if I could only do it.

Reactions: Aruka

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I think for most surfers one of the big problems we have with getting a turn even remotely close to the one pictured above is we don't get the upper body rotation needed for such a complete turn.

Like, look at how far around his right arm is. I never get my right arm far enough around like this. His left arm is touching the water and it's like he's pivoting around it. His head is pointed towards the nose of his board. He's fully committed.

Anyone got the full sequence? It's such a good shot.
I try to get the lead arm out of the way by holding it low. It opens up the shoulder and you can rotate your core more fully.

Roundhouses are the same in the way you open up the shoulders. But I like to stay in a balled up crouch longer. Most times I rebound kinda meh. But the good backside off the lip rebounds gotta make sure to lift the nose up and spot the section of whitewater to hit.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
if they could do a proper roundhouse they are good surfer
it is a very technical maneuver and style needed to make it look good

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
few people in the water can do proper roundhouses and really hit the section. you have to twist your head around and look at it before you hit it. much harder fs than bs.

Reactions: PRCD and tenover

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
You need to twist your body and swing your hips with weight on your backfoot. Think of winding up a coil and releasing the power through your rear leg.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
it also helps to have a board that drives through the turn. I hate boards that die in the middle of the turn and don't allow you to come out of it and smash the section. thick tail and no center anchor!

same turn as a bottom turn on the opposite side.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
hand in water on bottom turn
lead shoulder aimed back into pit on turn
torque

Reactions: jkb